Sequel: Eclat
Status: finished.

Smirt

Four.

The realization didn’t sink in until I heard my ringtone for when I received text messages. I had actually listened to Carter and the other idiots I considered my friends. Once they heard my ringtone and saw my worried expression, they knew what I’d done. I looked down at my phone, ignoring Taylor, who was leaning over my shoulder and being a fucking creeper.

I’ll answer my phone when you call, I promise.
Don’t ditch me at the party!
I probably won’t know anyone there.


Chris has a date! By the way, it’s not his mom, guys.”

“Aw, how sweet. Wittle Chrissy wissy has a girlfriend.”

“Does she know you don’t eat anything with a face?”

“Do you even like her?”

“Don’t you guys have anything better to do?” I yelled, throwing my hands up in frustration. My friends could be too much sometimes. I didn’t know what else to say, so I just walked away, deciding that a quick smoke break would clear my mind. I reread the text message, a smile tugging at the corners of my lips. Maybe I had overreacted when they’d asked me those questions. You don’t need to tell them anything about Dahlia, I thought.

How was it any of their business anyway?

“Hey, uh, we’re all sorry for attacking you in there.” Carter’s voice distracted me from the thoughts racing through my head, his apology genuine because of the frown on his face. “We’re just worried about you, Chris. Ever since that girl chea---”

“Carter. Don’t.” I shook my head.

“Anyway, we’re all assholes. Forgive us?” Carter stuck out his bottom lip, which made me laugh so hard my stomach hurt.

“Yeah, sure. I forgive you guys.”

I dialed Dahlia’s number, held up my pointer finger and mouthed “hold on” before going to my room and closing the door. I couldn’t talk to her with the guys around. They would most likely find a way to make her uncomfortable, which would make me uncomfortable. My friends were also notorious for being killjoys when it came to my nonexistent love life. They were just so talented like that.

Hey, it’s Dahlia, I’m really sorry I couldn’t answer your call. Please leave a message if you---

I hung up, took a deep breath, and dialed her number again.

“Answer the fucking phone, please. . .” I said quietly, running a hand through my hair.

“Christofer?”

“Hey, Dahlia. You didn’t hear that first part right?”

“No, of course not.” Her credibility was ruined when she giggled a little.

“Aw, shit. Uh, just give me directions to your house.”

I was beyond humiliated by now and had to save face and try to make this party worthwhile. I wondered if Dahlia would be willing to indulge in some Kush with me later. That would make me feel better.

“Ok, pay attention then,” she said, instructing me where to go.

I got in my car, waiting for a few minutes as the guys piled in, all talking at the same time. I also heard Dahlia talking to someone in the background, but I couldn’t hear what they were saying. What I could hear was laughter and a few words, never any complete sentences or phrases. As I was driving, another realization hit me.

I was too awkward to be taken seriously.
♠ ♠ ♠
AWH.
I adore Chris and his awkwardness.
This chapter was made possible by orange juice and listening to NSN & Maroon 5.
They're just really inspirational.
& this sounds kinda messed up, but Dahlia enjoys embarrassing him.
It's not even done on purpose most of the time.

Anyway, they're going to the party in the next chapter.
What will happen there?
I know you probably have some guesses. (;