Status: This story is a part of the Build a Story by Water Elephant.

Death on White Oak Road

Evelyn

Evelyn just could not believe it. Later that night, after the street party and the shocking discovery, a police officer informed her with great regret of a tragic death. The officer said it in a professional tone, not very much personally. Evelyn started weeping silently.

"He was not supposed to go like this," Evelyn said to the officer, "Daddy. Oh, daddy!" She busted out in to a loud sob.

The officer left without a look of remorse. Evelyn knew it was not his job to get personally attached. He was supposed to inform and go. Evelyn seen the television shows, but did not think this was going to happen to her.

Evelyn walked back into her own house. She grabbed a tissue to wipe the tears away and sat in her living room. The room was filled with vast pictures from the places she had been and the people she meet. The room also included a nice television and entertainment center. Her rose colored furniture was well coordinated with the red painted walls. Evelyn stood facing the wall that few of the many pictures hanged. The pictures were of her and her father from when she was a child to just a few days ago when she visited him.

He was finally gone.

Evelyn went to bed early that night. And cried herself to sleep.

She was not surprised to see the murder report in this week's newspaper. She read the paper aloud:

"Steve John Hunter, according to the police report, was murder on Tuesday, May 10th. Hunter was murdered in his own home on Tuesday during a home invasion. Then, Hunter's body was thrown down a sewer hole at the intersection of White Oak Road and 13th Street. Officials found the body May 13th. Oddly, the site of the hidden body was right next to the home of Evelyn Hunter, his only daughter. Steven Hunter was a rich man because of his success in the computer industry. Police still have no suspects. Hunter was seventy eight years old."

Evelyn read the article several times. Every time she had read it, it sounded worst and worst each time she read it. Then, she thought about an "off" phrase in the article. "Site of the body was right next to the home of Evelyn Hunter, his only daughter."

"They don't think I killed him," Evelyn said quietly, "My own father!" She left from the comfort of her chair in the kitchen, where she had been reading the newspaper article, to a nearby mirror. Evelyn was a beautiful woman and just only thirty six years old. Her reflection show no signs of a wedding ring or children. She was the perfect bachelorette.

However, she never accepted her father's money. When she moved out, her father started to give Evelyn money for school and wherever life took her. She nicely refused. Evelyn had a proud attitude and she did not accept handouts from other people, unless she deserved it or worked for it. This attitude made her and her dad close. Inseparable.

She decided to clean up her front yard. Evelyn changed from her pajamas to her work clothes in a flash. It was not a total mess, but she had nothing else better to do. She was to upset to go in to town with her friends. Evelyn wanted a quiet day. For five hours she made her house more presentable. She even planted some flowers in remembrance of her father.

She looked at the intersection. When the City Workers were in the sewer Friday night, Evelyn remembered, she was doing somethings around town. The intersection was not as busy as it normally was due to the word of mouth about Steven Hunter's passing. Evelyn's neighbors walked slowly when they walked by her house. Some people did not talk to her. Others did and consoled her.

After her work was done, she went back inside to watch the local news on the television. For the first five minutes, the news anchors just reported her father's death. When the report was over, she immediatly turned off the television and threw the remote onto the rose colored carpet.

"I am tried of this shit!" Evelyn screamed, " Why they just leave him alone?!"

Then she started to cry once more. This time, she cried to the point where she could not leave.

"Why... why did this had to happen?"

Then, the phone rang. The ringing of the phone stopped Evelyn's crying. It rang again, but Evelyn still did not pick up the phone.

"It looks like I am right," Evelyn said to herself.

She picked it up on the third ring.

"Hello," Evelyn said in a singsong voice, "This is Evelyn Hunter. May I help you."

The phone call was a just a short message.

Evelyn seemed to understand. "Ok, I see you then. Bye."

Evelyn went back into her bedroom to get changed.
♠ ♠ ♠
This story is a part of the Build a Story by Water Elephant.