Status: This story is a part of the Build a Story by Water Elephant.

Death on White Oak Road

Dinner?

His office was big, but messy. His desk was clutter with many papers and folders. Different cases was inside these folders, but the Hunter case was on top of all them. There were plaques on his back wall, behind his desk, recognizing Detective Alexander Miller of his excellence in his detective skills. Like with all of his cases, he reads them over and over again. The case folders were like books to him, simple and easy to follow. However, this case was not like the others. There were more holes in the case and there was not even a suspect list made. Officer Miller like these types of cases that came around once in a while. They were more intriguing than the others.

Detective Miller was typing away, until there was a knock at the door.

“Who is it?” Detective Miller asked.
“This is Evelyn Hunter,” she replied.
“Come in,” he commanded.

Evelyn opened the door and walked in Detective Miller’s office. Evelyn sat down in a chair that Detective Miller pointed out to her. She had to adjust her purple flower in order to sit down and kept her black purse in her laps. Evelyn looked at the officer and seen his preoccupied, brown eyes. He dressed in a formal and informal way. When he got up to shake Evelyn’s hand, she examined him thoroughly. His button-up shirt was not tucked into his pants. His hair was a tidy, but a mess at the same time. Evelyn fell in love.

“Hello, Ms. Hunter,” Detective Miller started, “I am Detective Alexander Miller. You can just call me Alex.”
Evelyn nodded.
“So, Ms. Hunter…,” Alex started
“You can just call me Evelyn,” she interrupted.
“Ok, Evelyn, how are you doing today?”
“Just fine. I just got a lot of things on my mind.”
“Like what. Maybe, you are thinking about why I called you down here.”
“No, detective, I know why I am here. My neighbors are questioning where I have been on the night that my father’s body had been found. Plus, I must coordinate my father’s funeral in a few weeks.”
“That sounds fun,” Alex said sarcastically. There was an awkward that followed his comment. “How about we get started?
“That sounds like a good idea,” Evelyn answered.

Detective Miller began typing away on his computer. Evelyn wanted to know what he was thinking, besides trying to find out more information about this mysterious case. She could not keep her eyes off him.

“Evelyn, where were you when your street had the party on that Friday and when the body of your father was discovered?” Alex asked.
“That Friday, I was running some errands for my father and myself,” she answered.
“So, you seen your father earlier that week?”
“Yes. His friends and I had a surprised birthday party for him at his house. A couple of his friends were able to get him out of the house while we were setting up the decorations.”
“And this was Monday, right?”
“No, this was Tuesday, the day of his death.”

Alex was at a lost of words. He did not mean to bring up the day of her father’s death like this. He felt so guilty.

“Evelyn, there’s one more thing I need to ask you,” Alex said, “Is there anyone that knows about Steve Hunter fortune besides you?”
“Everyone knew about my father’s fortune,” she started, “If they knew him, then they knew about the fortune.”
“Did anyone have anything against him? Was there anyone who was at the party that he did not invite.”
Evelyn thought about this for a couple of moments. “Well, there was one person that I never knew before. He introduced himself to me. I don’t even think my dad even know who that person was.”
“And that night, did you leave first or last?”
“I left last. But I don’t remember if that stranger left at all.”
“Thank you, Evelyn you may go.”

Evelyn and Alex exchanged good-byes before Evelyn met the door. There was something that she had to ask him.

“Alex?” she called.
“Is there something else Evelyn,” Alex answered while he sat down.
“Would you like to have dinner with me, Monday night? I had reservations with my dad and I.”
“I would love that. What time? About seven?
“Seven would be fine. See you then.”

After Evelyn left the room, Alex could not help himself from smiling.

***

Evelyn was in her kitchen preparing her dinner for the night, when the phone rang. She let the phone ring twice before she answered it.

"Hello, Evelyn Hunter," she answered.
"Hello, Evelyn, this is Detective Alexander Miller," he said.
"You're not canceling our evening together on Monday, are you?"
"No, it's not about the dinner. It's about your case. Evelyn, we caught the man who killed your father."

Evelyn fainted.