Status: Complete. Happy 18th Birthday Nick Jonas!

Mine

"You are the best thing that's ever been mine..."

Oh, oh, oh
Oh, oh, oh


I walked into the diner I always went to. Surprisingly in a some what populated town, it was usually empty. I sat down at my usual table with my books from school. I don’t know why, but I get my work done faster here. Being a senior in high school is hard work. And the stress at home…

“Hi, I’m Nick and I’ll be your waiter.” I heard. I looked up and a teenager who looked about a year older than me. He was wearing a black polo, jeans and black converse. His name tag read Nick. He had brown eyes and curly brown hair.

“I’m Shoshanna. Most people call me Anna.” I told him. “You’re new here.”
“Yeah, I am. I just started working here today. I’m kind of new at this, so please don’t laugh at me if I mess up.”
“I won’t I promise.”

You were in college, working part-time waiting tables
Left a small town and never looked back


Nick came back to me when he was done putting in my order. I was working on my calculus homework. He sat down in front of me. I looked up and saw him smiling at me.

“Yes Nick?” I asked.
“I was wondering if you wanted to hang out later.” He asked.
“I have homework to do.” I told him. I really did wanted to hang out with him.
“You can come over to my apartment. I’ll help you if you want.” He suggested.
I looked at him. This would be a great opportunity. I had no rush to get home, I don’t think my dad would care… “Sure.”
“Great.” There was a ding. “I’ll be right back. You’re food is ready.” He got up and walked to the kitchen.

I was a flight risk, afraid of fallin'
Wondering why we bother with love, if it never lasts


Was I really falling for a guy I just met? The answer, yes. I pushed my books to the side as Nick came back with my food. He placed it right in front of me with a note.

I get off at six. We can go to my place then.

I started to eat my food slowly. I could feel Nick’s eyes watching me eat. It was kind of embarrassing since I was deliberately eating slow on purpose. I mean I was excited to go to his place, just had to stall my time here.

I finished eating and Nick came and took my plate. “Eat slow enough?” He joked.
I blushed and bent my head so my wavy brown hair can hide it.
“Don’t get embarrassed. I think it’s nice of you to wait for me.” He said. “I’m off in about five minutes.” He went to the kitchen and I took out my wallet to pay for my food and tip him.

He came back with the check and left it right in front of me. I gave him the money and included his tip.
“You didn’t have to tip me.” He said.
“Of course I do. You’re tutoring me for free aren’t you?” I asked.
“Very true.” He replied.
He went to put the money away and timed out. He walked over to me as I picked up my things.
“Did you drive here?” He asked.
“No, I walked.” I told him as I put my books in my bag.
“I can drive you home when you’re set.”
“Thanks.” I followed him out to his car and got in.

~*~*~*~*~

“Well, this is my place.” He said as we entered his apartment. There wasn’t much. A TV, couch, a small kitchen area. A door that leads to the bathroom and one that leads to a bedroom. “We can study out here.”

“Okay,” I said as I followed him to the couch. I sat down and put my bag on the floor right by my feet. “Do you live here by yourself?”
“No, I live here with my brother, Joe. He’s visiting our parents right now.” Nick explained.

“And you’re not?”
“No, I have to go to class tomorrow morning at nine. I’ll be down there tomorrow though at five to see them. And the fact I had work today.”
“Right. I forgot about that.”

He smiled and we got started on my homework. I don’t get why though, I knew what I was doing. He was just explaining things I already know. He got up and went to use the bathroom. I got up and looked around.

I went to his room and saw two beds. I figured out which one was his easily, it was the one that was made. I walked over to his side and saw pictures of his family and friends. There was a Yankees hat sitting on the side table. I picked up one of his pictures and looked at it.

“That’s Joe with the short hair.” I jumped. I didn’t hear Nick come in. “Sorry if I scared you.”
“It’s okay.” I said. “Who’s this?” I was looking at the man with the same curly hair as Nick and his arm around a girl with wavy brown hair.
“That’s my brother Kevin and his wife Danielle.” Nick replied. “That’s my parents in the middle and my younger brother Frankie.”

“Where was this taken?” Everyone was dressed up so fancy and nice.
“At my cousin’s wedding.” Nick replied. “What’s your family like?”
I looked down. “Not as well as your family. My family is broken up.” I walked towards the couch and sat down and started to do homework.
He walked over and sat down next to me. He rubbed my back. “I’m sorry. I didn’t know.”

“It’s okay, let’s get back to my homework.”
“Okay.” He said and we did my homework and didn’t really talk much.
Once we were done I was going to get up and leave. “Thanks Nick.”
“You’re not in a rush are you? Because I would like to get to know you better.” He said gently pulling me down next to him.
“No, I don’t have anywhere to rush to.” I said.

I say, "Can you believe it?"
As we're lying on the couch
The moment, I can see it
Yes, yes, I can see it now


Nick and I have been hanging out every often. And my feelings for him increased dramatically. I never thought I could. I told myself that falling in love usually ends up in heartbreak.

Right now Nick and I were by a lake, sitting on the side, letting our feet rest in the water. It was really relaxing. I never thought that this would happen.
“I have a question for you.” Nick said.
“Yes?”

He paused. “Well, I was hoping that you would be my girlfriend. I know you haven’t had a good past with love, but I was hoping that this would work.”
I looked at him and smiled. “I would love to be your girlfriend.”

Do you remember, we were sittin' there, by the water?
You put your arm around me for the first time


“Come on.” Nick said taking my hand. We stood up and he headed towards the middle of the lake.
“No! I’m not going into the lake.” I protested.
He picked me up bridal style and walked into the lake. “It will be fun.”
“Nick! Don’t!” I squealed as he started to go under. He brought me under and he went with me. He lifted me up and out of the water. He was laughing. “Nick, that wasn’t funny.”

“Come on Shoshanna, loosen up. It was fun.”
“Yeah, but now I’m all wet.” I told him.
“So?”
I splashed him with water.
“You shouldn’t have done that.”
“Why?”
He dropped me and I fell into lake. I asked and I got an answer. I got to the surface and looked at him. I splashed him again and he splashed me back.

You made a rebel of a careless man's careful daughter
You are the best thing that's ever been mine


We walked out of the lake, soaking wet. We walked to his car laughing. To admit what happened in the lake, it was fun.
“You don’t mind your car getting wet?” I asked.

“Here.” He said throwing towels at me. “I anticipated this happening.”
“Glad you came prepared.” I told him as I started to dry myself.
“Well, I was the one who planned this.” He came over and kissed me. I was in shock. I didn’t think it was going to get a kiss. He backed off. “Sorry but I don’t play by the first date rule.”

“Really, I didn’t notice.” I smiled as we got into the car.
He started the engine and he drove me to my house.
“You know, you never really told me about your family.” He said. “Like how your mom and dad are.”

“They are….interesting people.” I said carefully.
“How are they interesting? You have to go more in depth.” He laughed.
“Um, they fight a lot. My mom left with me when I was ten. I switch with my dad every two weeks. The only thing they agree on is keeping me in the same school district.”

He pulled over to the side of the road and cut the engine. He looked at me with sympatric eyes. “I’m sorry. I didn’t know that.” His hand came up to my face and wiped away the tears that were falling. “You know that the divorce wasn’t your fault right?”

“Yeah, I know. It’s wasn’t my fault.” I whispered.
He hugged me and stayed like that. I would stay in his arms forever if I wanted to. It made me feel safe.

Flash forward, and we're takin' on the world together
And there's a drawer of my things at your place


I’m now nineteen, a sophomore in college, and I’m now living with Nick in his apartment. Eventually we’re going to move out to our own house, once Nick finished college. I had a bunch of my things at his place. I took over Joe’s bed.

Joe went to live with his friends. He thought since I was coming over a lot, he would go live with his buds and so he doesn’t see me and Nick make out. Not my words, his.

“Let’ see, where can I put my clothes?” I asked.
“Right we’re Joe left his, on the floor.” Nick joked.
“Not funny Nick.” I said.
“In the closet.” He said pointing to it.
“Thank you.” I said giving him a kiss on the cheek.
I put my stuff in the closet and looked at Nick. “What?”
“Nothing. Were you watching me the whole time?”
“Yes.” He said coming over to me and smiling.

“I would say you’re a pervert but I love you too much.” I told him leaning up to give him a kiss.
“So wait,” He said breaking the kiss. “Now I’m a pervert?”
“Yes, you’re my pervert.”
“You’re so corny.”
“But,”
“I love you.” He said leaning down to kiss me. “Now what would you like to do?”
“Sleep, eat, sit here.”
“Fine, we’ll sit here and talk.” He said.

You learn my secrets and figure out why I'm guarded
You say we'll never make my parents' mistakes


“Relax Anna. Nothing like that will happen.” He said soothing me.
I just told him my parents history. I told him before but not in depth. It just pains me to know what happened to my parents could happen to me.

“Do you promise Nick?”
“I promise.” He said giving me a strong hug. “We won’t make your parents’ mistakes.”
I rest my head on his shoulders and slowly drifted to sleep. Knowing I’ll be safe tonight in his arms.

But we got bills to pay
We got nothin' figured out


Nick and I were out of college now and we got ourselves our own house. We literally bought it with our own money we have now; I’m a teacher and Nick is lawyer.
“I love this house.” I sighed as I looked around. We finally finished moving in everything. The house looked amazing with all the stuff moved it.
“I love it too.” He said.

When it was hard to take
Yes, yes
This is what I thought about


“Ugh, I can’t believe these bill just get higher.” I complained.
“It’s okay. I’m looking at them and I don’t see anything.” He said. “We can get through this. There’s nothing wrong and we have the money.” He kissed my forehead.

“I know. I need to relax.”
“Just think about something happy right now.”

Do you remember, we were sittin' there, by the water?
You put your arm around me for the first time
You made a rebel of a careless man's careful daughter
You are the best thing that's ever been mine


Today was Nick’s and I seventh year anniversary. I know, It’s hard to believe Nick and I have been together for seven years. We were on the lake, where Nick asked me to be his girlfriend, in a row boat.

Do you remember all the city lights on the water?
You saw me start to believe for the first time


“Hey, Anna, did you see that?” He asked.
“See what?” I asked turning my head. I scanned the area and didn’t see anything. I turned around and saw Nick with a ring in his hand. I put my hand to my mouth. “Nick…”

“I love you a lot, Shoshanna. You’re the only girl who understands me and I’ve been in love with you since the day I saw you seven years ago. Shoshanna, will you marry me?”
“Yes. Yes!” I said freaking out. He carefully put the ring on my finger and he pulled me in for a nice long, slow kiss.

You made a rebel of a careless man's careful daughter
You are the best thing that's ever been mine


I was looking at some wedding cake, colors and all the fun stuff that needs to be planned for a wedding. It was not fun. I was ready to throw it all out the window just to get it out of my mind. This plus work was really stressing me out.

“How’s the wedding planning going?” Nick asked as he came over and sat down my be. I looked over to him. He was loosening his tie and unbuttoning the top button of his shirt.

“Not well. I think I might throw this out the window along with my old SAT books. It’s so much pressure.” I said.
“It’s okay. We have about ten more months to plan everything.” He reminded me. “We just have to take it step by step. So what are you looking at now?”

“Wedding cakes.” I sighed.
“Okay,” Nick said. “Close your eyes.”
“Nick,” I said in a semi-whiny voice. I wasn’t really in the mood for his games.

“Shoshanna.” He said in the same whiny voice. I sighed in defeat and closed my eyes. “Okay, think of your dream cake. And tell me about it.”
“It’s a three layer circle cake. It has flower designs on the cake in white and purple flowers going around it.” I heard pages turning. “Nick, can I open my eyes?”

“Not yet.” He said. I heard more flipping. “Okay open your eyes.”
I opened them and there, I saw my dream cake. “Nick, where did you find this?”
“In this book.” He joked. “You’re just stressed. We can do this when I get home, if you want.”
“Yeah, I like that better than me doing this by myself.”

Oh, oh, oh, oh

I looked at the clock, it was about two fifteen AM and Nick wasn’t home from work yet. He was suppose to be home eight hours ago. He didn’t even call to say where he was or he was coming home late. I was mad. More than mad, I was pissed off.

Around two-twenty, the front door finally opened. I got up from the couch and walked up to Nick.
“Anna, I’m so sorry.” He said.
“You didn’t call Nick. You could’ve told me where you were in the past eight hours.”

“I know but I was stuck in a meeting and then I got a case to work on.”
“Couldn’t you work on it tomorrow?” I asked.
“No, I couldn’t. Listen, Anna, can we talk about this tomorrow? I’m really tired and we both have work tomorrow.”

“No Nick, I want to talk about it now.” I almost shouted at him.
“What is there to talk about? I got caught up at work. I was also working over time to help pay for this house and our wedding.” His voice was raising.
“What do you think I’m doing Nick? I’m also helping to pay for everything! You’re not the only one with a job.” I shouted.

And I remember that fight, two-thirty AM
You said everything was slipping right out of our hands


“Nick, just shut up! I don’t want to deal with this crap right now!” I said with tears running down my face.
“Fine!” He shouted.
I was crying right now and the only thing I can do was run out, and that’s what I did. I ran outside crying.

I ran out, crying, and you followed me out into the street
Braced myself for the goodbye, cause that's all I've ever known


I looked out towards the street. Tears were still running down and I wiped some of it away. I heard footsteps coming closer to me. I didn’t even want to know what he wanted to say. I just looked across the street.

“Shoshanna, I’m so sorry.” He said.
“Yeah right.” I scoffed.
He turned me around and gave me a kiss with so much passion.

Then, you took me by surprise
You said, "I'll never leave you alone."


He wiped away my tears. “Please don’t cry. I love you so much. I keep thinking of that day when we get married so we can be together.” He wiped away more of my tears and kept whispering things to me to relax.

You said, "I remember how we felt, sitting by the water.
And every time I look at you, it's like the first time.
I fell in love with a careless man's careful daughter.
She is the best thing that's ever been mine."


Today was the day. I was getting married to my love, Nicholas Jerry Jonas. I walked up to the alter, in tears. Nick was smiling and once I got up there, he wiped away my tears.

“You look beautiful.” He whispered.
“You don’t look bad yourself.” I whispered back.
We made our vows and exchanged of rings. I was finally able to kiss my wonderful husband.

You made a rebel of a careless man's careful daughter
You are the best thing that's ever been mine


It’s been five years since Nick and I got married. We now have a beautiful daughter named Kimberly Megan Jonas. She had my wavy hair and Nick’s eyes. She’s a little ball of energy for a two year old. Nick and I both believe that she got that from Joe.

“How are you doing today?” Nick asked as he wrapped his arms around my waist, which was kind of difficult for him since I was eight months pregnant.
“I’m fine.” I replied as I stirred the pasta that I was making for dinner. “How was work?”

“Same old same old. I haven’t gotten on a case yet so more busy work.” He sighed. “I’m just happy to be here now.” He kissed my forehead.
“Well you’re not the one who gets to stay home all day. I miss teaching.” I told him. “It made the day go by faster.”

“Daddy!” We heard. We turned and saw Kimmy running towards her father. He bent down and when she ran into his arms, he picked her up. Her arms were tightly wrapped around his neck.
“How was your day?” He asked.

“Good. Mommy and I made things for my brudder or sister.” She said. For some reason she can not say brother. It always comes out brudder.
“What did you make?” He asked.

“I’ll show you.” She said as she squirmed in his arms to get out. He put her down and she took his hand and ran to where she put the picture frame she made.

Do you believe it?
We're gonna make it now
And I can see it


Right now, our life is complete. I gave birth to a baby boy named Jordan Daniel Jonas. He’s the exact replica of his father. Nick and I are happy right now. And to think, we got together because we met in a diner. And now, he’s the best thing that’s ever been mine.

I can see it now
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you enjoyed this one shot!!! It took me a week to write! Phew. I'm happy I got it done when I wanted it to be! On Nick Jonas' 18th birthday!!! Oh, and I wish to know how to make something centered with italics so it looks nicer instead of all the lyrics to one side with the rest of the story.
One more thing. Please comment! I want to know if you like it or hated it. I just want some feedback please!!!

Comment!!!