It's Not So Dark When We're Together

Twenty-One

Alex’s POV

I settled down on the bus waiting for me and Gary to arrive to where we were meting the rest. I had a few apologies to make. As we were heading along the bus came to an abrupt halt, throwing me forward into my set my chest hitting off the table i was sat at.

‘Oh shit, the other bus, FUCK!!!!’

I arose from my seat quickly heading tot he front of the bus to firstly see why we stopped so suddenly and two why Gary was swearing at the top of his voice unabout the bus. I was pretty confused as i walked down the walkway. As i reached the driver’s seat Gary was already dismounting the bus steps with speed and heading forwards. I lifted my head to see the temporary bus in front of engulfed in flames at the back end sending smoke and sparks flying into the sky. I looked around noticing a huddle of people stood to the one side of the practically deserted highway, a sigh of relief escaped my throat, knowing everyone had made it off the bus in one piece it seemed.

I exited the bus at a slightly speedy walk, whilst Gary was running full force down the road towards the group of people. I would of ran down with him but with the hangover i was suffering from anything quicker than this speed would of made me either hurl or very dizzy.

As i was reunited with the group, after my night in a German police cell, i felt the heat from the flames hitting my face and arms, causing my skin to tingle slightly. The flames were growing tall as they slowly headed further along the bus, almost creeping up on it. As i turned to look at the group and see everyone unharmed, out the corner of my eye i noticed Dan stood crying. I headed over to him expecting to see Amy beside him calming him down and comforting him. I was surprised to see that instead it was Ed and Elena who were comforting him. As i stood there something hit me, not literally, but i hadn’t seen Amy’s face within everyone else. I scanned over the group a couple more times unable to see her face as fear started to edge into my mind.

‘Ed, W..Where’s Amy?’

My voice was shaky as i spoke, different thoughts racing through my mind as i waited for the response off Ed, panic really creeping into my mind now. As Ed pulled his head up to look me in the eye i could see sorrow set deep into his eyes, really starting to confirm the worst, even before he spoke.

‘She... Didn’t make it off in time.’

Ed flinched back and looked down at his feet, hating having to give the bad news to me. Dan let out a choked sob as Elena tightening her arm around him trying to calm him down a little at least. A bottomless pit suddenly opened within my stomach as realisation struck me. My heart feeling like it was been sucked into it as my mind confirmed what it had been told by Ed. I turned toward the bus within a second my feet prepared to run as Ed quickly clung to my wrist, gripping it as tight as he could.

‘Alex, NO, it’s way to dangerous’

I stayed silent my mind determined now and pulled my arm sharply free from Ed’s grip. I heard his feet stumble on the tarmac behind me as i charged full pace at the bus, my head started to spin as i leapt in through the open door.

The smoke instantly hit my chest burning my nose and throat as i started to cough and get rid of what i had inhaled. I pulled my sleeve over my nose and mouth and breathed through that, using my free arm to guide myself along the walkway that was now in darkness. I had checked the first floor as far as i could go and turned back trying not to trip on anything as i headed up the stairs to the second floor.

As i hit the bunks I could see a pale and motionless figure in the distance been slightly lit by the flames nearby. I slowly made my way forward through the smoke that was getting thicker by the second. The heat fro the flames was causing my body tp sweat a lot now, my t-shirt soaked as i got closer to Amy’s body.

I knelt down beside her starting to free her from the metal that had pinned her body down, preventing her escape i guessed. As i pulled at the melted and mangled metal i was able to move it enough to free her, whilst the flames grew closer and larger. I was able to pull her body closer toward me now luckily as the flames were drawing in. As i got her to my feet i noticed a small blue notebook had been in her arm. I picked it up knowing i would look at it once at a safe distance from the bus and so placed it in my trouser waistband. I scooped Amy into my arms bridal style quickly backing off from the flames before turning around to make a quicker exit, i knew the bus wouldn’t last much longer.

After a few minutes and with Amy pulled tightly to my chest i could se the daylight from the bus door. As i reached the stairway i breathed in some fresher air causing my constant coughing to escalate as a loud bang echoed through the bus. As it echoed i felt my body get lifted out the air and through the open door, Amy leaving my arms as i was flung from the bus.

I landed chest first onto the cold hard concrete letting out a choked groan as i quickly pulled myself to my knees coughing heavier now, it burning m throat and chest. I could feel cold wet liquid trickling down my arms and face and the smell of metal near my nose. I lifted an arm taking in the cuts and bruises i had received on impact , brushing the same hand along my face i checked it so see more fresh blood and also a load of soot on my hand. I guessed my face was now black and red instead of the pinkish skin colour.

I knew i had to check on Amy as i coughed and wheezed my lungs working on trying to get rid of the smoke i had inhaled. I felt Ed’s hand on my shoulder helping to pull me upright so i could look around, spotting Amy’s body sprawled on the road not far from me. Ed helped me to my feet guiding me, hand around my hips over to where Amy lay, before lowering back to my knees beside her.

I took her small pale hand into mine gas i lay beside her, Dan knelt the other side of her holding her other hand allowing tears to slowly slide down his face. I looked toward Amy’s face taking in her obvious injuries.

Her eyes were shut and her face pale with scratches on her cheeks and a bloody lip and nose. Her hair was scattered in ash and her cheeks were covered in black soot to. Her arms were covered in cuts and bruises and her top torn. Her one leg bleeding where the pole had really struck her, her jeans covered in ash, burnt flooring and other things.

As i sat there watching how she seemed at peace considering i felt my head pound heavier, my stomach lurched violently and i managed to back off enough to throw up away from everyone. As i grabbed my hest in pain from coughing i felt the book against my hand under my top and pulled it form underneath and placed it on the ground beside Amy. What if it contained a suicide note, maybe she wanted to die, was i really that bad a boyfriend. She had fallen with that book in her hand, maybe she knew something, knew she was going to get hurt and wanted to die.

Ed knelt down beside looking at the book waiting for me to say something.

‘It’s Amy’s she had it held in her arms when she feel, i think she wanted to.. You know.....’

‘Alex i doubt it she might of just been keeping a log of her work, you won’t know unless you open it.’

‘No i can’t, it’s hers, i can’t open it. What if my fears are confirmed that she wanted to leave us.’

The end of my sentence was shaking and barely audible, i couldn’t think of losing Amy no way at all. I loved her, already, she was the one person except the band that i couldn’t live without and wouldn’t live without.

I held the book tight in my hand, maybe i could Ali or Dan to open it at a later date, when i knew she was going to be ok. That way i could discover the truth until then thoughts would run wild in my mind as the ambulance sirens and fire engine drew closer to us.
♠ ♠ ♠
some ideas with thanks to lottie =]