It's Not So Dark When We're Together

Thirty-Eight

Alex’s POV

When i woke again it was pitch black. How long had those tablets knocked me out for? I pulled myself to a sitting up position but had to lean back my head starting to pound. I sat in there in the dark when i heard my door creak slightly before Elena walked into my room, putting on the bedside lamp as nto to blind me to much.

“I’m sorry Elena, i mean it.. I shouldn’t of, i knew i was wrong straight away, you had the reasoning i didn’t.”

“Alex please, calm down, it will make you feel worse. Teddy has explained what the doctor had said, explained about the tablets and now i understand what caused those actions. I didn’t know that had happened in the first place to you, if i had then i would of understood more.”

“i still shouldn’t of though.”

“I forgive you Alex, I’m still annoyed at the damage you have caused Ed and that you have scared my best friend so bad that she won’t go near you but i somewhat forgive you. I don’t want you seeing Ed until he asks though, it’s when he feels ready.”

“I understand that, it’s more than fair for what I’ve done to him. Amy on the other hand is going to be my own problem to sort out. I have to work out how we can resolve that issue between us.”

“Alex there’s something you need to know. Amy will take a while to recover form this, believe me.”

“why?”

“ She got pulled into a situation before, whereby she was beaten, not abdly but if affected her afterwards. It took a long time for her to overcome that fear. It could take a while again, she loves you alex, you were the one person she trusted with everything, when you pulled her i could see the fear in her eyes, the memories that were running through her mind of the previous situation. I heard her wake up screaming out last night, heard Dan trying to calm her again for over an hour. This is going to take a lot more than the words sorry.”

“Shit, I’ve wrecked everything, my stupid anger has ruined possibly the best thing to happen to me.”

I slammed my head backwards it hitting off the wall sooner than i expected dazing me for milliseconds.

“Alex, i will help you, i know you love her, I’ve seen you with her. Ed’s explained to me before how he’s never seen you this caring towards someone before, but i warn you it will be difficult.”

I nod taking in everything, Elena bidding me goodnight before she more than likely returns to Ed’s room for the night. I sit there just staring at nothing for a few minutes before getting up out of bed. My head had steadied itself now and i headed downstairs, checking the clock as i went. It was 2 am. I headed down decided to put a movie on quietly in the deserted TV room until i feel i can sleep again.

******************************
Dan’s POV

Amy had spent the whole day sat near me. Last night she woke screaming, it taking me an hour to calm her back down again. I was constantly hugging her keeping her close to me, watching Alex carefully. Teddy had told me what had been said but i still didn’t trust alex around her, what if he snapped and hurt her, he’d already fractured her wrist. That was all i was allowing him to do.

This was killing me though, every time she looked up into my eyes i longed to kiss her and protect her, i knew where her heart still lay though. The only issue was the sudden fear she gained. It wasn’t until Elena had explained today whilst amy showered why the fear was there. She was my best friend but i cared for her more, at the same time though i had seen the hurt in Alex’s eyes when he had come to speak to her. I had never in my life seen him cry but then i saw him cry, he didn’t try to hide it either. I could see how this could become difficult, wanting to protect Amy but not wanting to hurt her by taking the person she loved away from her. I didn’t want to hurt one of my friends either. It seemed i would have to make the most of this week, keep her close to me but also help her trust Alex again. I knew i would get hurt but it was for the better welfare.

For now i was lay in bed just staring up at the ceiling, Amy was asleep in the spare single bed i had in my room. I lay there hoping she would sleep without any nightmares tonight, i couldn’t see her hurt and now Alex was in his room just next door i knew there was a chance it would wake him. I lay there unable to sleep, just watching the time slowly edge past, i had heard someone walk downstairs. There was a chance it was alex, as he’d been asleep since mid afternoon.

After a couple of hours i heard someone start to move upstairs again, i headed the door and opened it to see a retired looking alex heading back to bed holding a hand to the side of his head.

“Lex, you alright?”

“Huh, yeah, headache gonna lie down”

“Alright, night”

I couldn’t hold a grudge against him, he’d been a true mate to me, i had a feeling that this stuff would be overcome soon, i hoped anyway, it was too awkward. I still couldn’t sleep and so headed into Elena and Ed’s room. Elena was asleep on a line of beanbags on the far side of the floor, Ed was lay in bed looking around the room.

“hey Ed, how you feeling.”

“Not to bad, still got a headache though. How’s Amy, i can tell Elena is worried.”

“she seems ok, get yourself better first though yeah.”

“I’m getting there it’s just these headaches to deal with now, another 5 days and I’m sure i will be back to normal, how’s Lex coping.?”

“he’s beating himself up over what he’s done. He’s apologised to Amy but she’s terrified of him, he’s pretty shaken by his own actions, after he saw what he had done to both of you he just broke down completely.”

“how’s Elena been with seeing me and amy kiss? She said anything?”

“She understands what happened between the two of you, the upset from the two arguments spurring it and stuff, she forgives you.”

“i feel i should do something to make it up to her, i will have to think.”

“let me know how it goes with thinking.”

I wished Ed goodnight soon after and headed off to bed again needing some sleep. It was just as my bead rested onto the pillow that a rather loud scream erupted from across the room. I jumped up and ran over to Amy pulling her into my arms. I sat comforting her as her breathing settled again.

“amy what was it”

“Reliving the time when i was young, that horrible situation, been beaten.”

“Amy it was in the past don’t worry honestly we are all here for you, i know that Alex would never hurt you, he didn’t mean to do what he did and that won’t happen again it seems.”

I heard the bedroom door creak open and see a mop of messy dark hair peer around it, Alex’s face only just visible beneath the messy hair.

“Amy you alright? I’m sorry to cause these nightmares, i wish never had done what i did, never accused you of anything in the first place.”

Alex’s voice seemed to be calming her somewhat bringing her to understanding more. She nodded before he wished her a restful sleep, rubbing his face and ruffling his hair before stumbling back to his room.

“You going back to sleep Amy?”

“No, i want to sit up for a bit, you rest though, Dan you need sleep. I appreciate you looking after me but i have to sort my own fears out, please sleep, for me.”

I couldn’t argue with the blue eyes that looked up into my own and headed to bed.

****************************
Amy’s POV

I sat in my bed for a while, i could hear Dan snoring gently and decided to go and see how Alex was. I crept into his room to see him fast asleep wrapped up in the duvet like always. I still loved him and that wouldn’t change, his apology was genuine to me though, he had cried something Dan seemed shocked at. What he said made me realise that it was something i should get myself over, yeah he had fractured my wrist but i knew he hadn’t meant to.

It was as though when it had happened i could see him fighting against his body, his mind seeing the wrong but his body not responding. When he dropped back and moved away the sorrow in his eyes, the fact i had heard how much he was beating himself up over this. Alex had wanted to go get help, Alex wasn’t like that, he always refused to go to a doctor refused point blank for help and that he would fight it off himself. I knew this was something he hadn’ expected to happen.

I stood by the door for a few minutes before going to sit near the edge of his bed, our bed. I watched him sleep his face only just poking through the duvet. His one hand hanging out over the edge of the bed. I took it into my own his fingers moving around mien until they fit comfortably but him not waking up. I just sat there for a while watching him sleep.

The tablets he had been put on were going to knock him for six for the next week, i couldn’t stay angry at him and decided i would speak to him once we was awake again. I would accept his apology and forgive him for what happened, i would also help him through this week and help him sort things with Ed to.

As i sat there i thought how Dan had helped me, like the best friend he was. I felt like i was even closer to him now than i was before. I had to thank him for the help he gave to me and i knew he would be wary, i would have work myself to make him understand that alex was fine and that he needed my help and understanding. I hoped Dan would understand that and would stay as close to me as he was, i appreciated having a friend like that to look out for me knowing that Elena had her own worries at the minute.