It's Not So Dark When We're Together

Forty-Nine

Alex’s POV

Me and Amy had been enjoying the week what with having the house to ourselves whilst Ed and Elena were away enjoying themselves. Taking note of the had been. Now instead i was sat in quite a bad situation worse off on Amy’s half however. We hadn’t wanted to cook the one night and so we phoned for a takeaway. The middle of the night i heard Amy up and in the bathroom throwing up. When she came back in she explained it was probably just food poisoning and that she would be ok tomorrow. I hoped she was i didn’t want her ill during this week that’s all she needed.

The next day when she had woken she tried to get up unable to move, she complained of feeling really ill and i knew instantly she didn‘t have normal standard food poisoning. I had phoned Ali to come around and he suggested instantly we got her up to the hospital. This was because in the time it took for him to get here Amy had gone pale was shivering and still throwing up constantly and had gotten really weak.

We got her to the hospital where she was taken for tests. I had been informed it was just really bad food poisoning but they kept her in just incase. Since then i had stayed with her every night and she was due to be released three days later. Last night had changed that though. I was asleep in the chair beside her bed, her hand held in mine as she to slept. I was woken however to a loud beeping coming from beside the bed. As i had shot awake i noticed the heart monitor had flat-lined with doctors rushing in and making me leave the room.

It was at that point i had broken down first. I stood outside the room, palms pressed against the glass as i watched on, doctors rushing around trying to get her back. At that point my heart had sunk into a black hole. I really thought i had lost her just weeks before our wedding. I closed my eyes placing my head gently against the glass as tears starting to run down my cheeks. I hadn’t realised anything had happened until i felt an unfamiliar hand on my back.

I had looked up to be met with a doctor looking concerned, i felt my heart sink further into a bottomless pit, i had a feeling he was going to give me the worst news. He walked me to the bench sitting me down a hand on my shoulder.

“Mr Davies, it’s ok your fiancé is back with us. However there is something serious causing this to happen and i wish to be given permission to run some tests to outline what is causing this, would you allow that.”

“I.. Yes certainly.... Thank you for you know......”

He got up, me following suit and nodded stretching a hand out to allow me back into the room where Amy was now in an unconscious state. The state that was safest whilst they discovered what was truly wrong with her.

As i took my steps over to the door i wiped my face of the tears but still more fell. I was upset with myself for wanting a take-away if i hadn’t then she wouldn’t be here now, she may of had food poisoning from my own cooking but not like this.

I walked into the room sitting down beside her taking her hand into mine again. I couldn’t speak at all just watch her pale face whilst her chest slowly rose and fell, now on a ventilator. She looked like a china doll lay there, almost child-like to. After a couple of hours i got up kissing her head gently before leaving the room. I couldn’t sit there i felt awful, it was my fault after all, i had nearly killed my fiancé. She was also back in a hospital again one place she never should be.

I headed out into the fresh air as the sun was starting to emerge into the sky setting an orange glow over the car park in which i was stood in. I sat down on a metal bench after heading to a local shop buying a pack of cigarettes and a lighter. I didn’t usually smoke unless i was really stressed and emotional and it had been years since the last cigarette had touched my lips. I hadn’t felt this worn down in so long, i was close to it during that bus fire but someone was always with me, i was never truly on my own. Amy seemed to have stopped me feeling low and worn down she had really bought so much good to my life.

As i lit one cigarette really feeling the need for the nicotine i got comfortable on the bench. For early morning it wasn’t to cold outside. As i breathed out a cloud of smoke i felt my body relax instantly, my mind however wouldn’t settle. I was beating myself up for the food, for Amy’s condition. If it wasn’t food poisoning what was it that had caused her to get so ill off that food. She wasn’t allergic to anything in what she had, she’d eaten it all before and was never ill off it.

I sat there for hours the sun rising over me and as i finally looked at my watch lighting up a second cigarette within 6 hours i noticed it was almost ten and that soon Ed and Elena would arrive. That didn’t bother me to much as i let tears roll down my cheeks again wiping them away as people started to walk past, slowly taking drags on the cigarette when my body calmed a little and tears stopped again.

*********************************************

Ed’s POV

I was up early the next day and so got a load of washing on from our trip before taking Elena up some breakfast and then getting ready. By half 9 we were ready to leave and head toward the hospital.

As we pulled up i saw Alex outside sat on a metal bench on his own, the one thing i didn’t expect was to see him with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. He only smoked when he got really stressed and upset which took me to the worst conclusions.

As we approached he looked up at me, his eyes bright red, sore and tired. I knelt in front of him as he put the stub of the cigarette in the bin beside him.

“Alex, what’s up, what’s happened... You don’t usually have those unless it’s something bad.?”

“I....she.... It was just food poisoning....”

With that Alex broke into a fresh set of tears and Elena sat beside him hugging him trying to calm him down.

“Lex, come on let’s go inside, you can explain in there?”

Alex just got up and walked in, head low his arms occasionally wiping his face. Elena looked a bit worried now, Alex hadn’t been this bad before, what had happened? Alex walked us to the corridor where Amy was but stayed out in the corridor sitting on the empty bench.

“The food we had ordered in gave her food poisoning, but she got really ill off it real quick, she was pale and shivering and constantly been sick, she couldn’t even keep upright on her own she went really weak. I phoned Ali and he came around instantly and we knew we had to get her to hospital. They had said it just seemed like really bad food poisoning but they would keep her in under observation. She was getting better then last night whilst i slept in the chair beside her i heard a really loud beep. As i woke i looked at the machines to see her heart monitor having flat-lined. They got her back but she’s unconscious still, they are waiting on results as to what could of been in the food now.”

Alex’s tears started again.

“I should of just cooked something this wouldn’t haven happened then.”

“Alex it’s not your fault, they will work it out soon I’m sure, don’t worry. Let’s just sit with her, i know she’d want that.”

Elena’s words were wise and seemed to sink into Alex quickly. He looked up at Elena before nodding leading the way but stopping at the window first. I watched him look through. Amy looked a lot thinner than the last time i saw her but it was Amy alright.

As we went in Elena walked up standing beside the bed stroking Amy’s arm as if to let her know we were back and here for her. Alex had gone to the chair that his jacket and a blanket hung on the back of and took Amy’s hand in his again. He didn’t sit there long however and instead moved to the window beside Amy’s bed lying along the windowsill watching out.

He spoke asking how our trip was and i explained we had enjoyed it but that conversation was better saved for a more suitable time. Instead we sat trying to think of what could cause Amy to be so ill whilst waiting for the doctors to return. We had turned up nothing so far however.

**************************************
Alex’s POV

A few hours after Ed and Elena had been here a doctor walked into the room.

“Mr Davies could i speak with you outside privately please.”

I followed the doctor out fairly confused now.

“We have found small traces of poison within Miss Phillips blood. Is there a possibility her food could of been poisoned by someone?.”

“I... I don’t know. It was take-away so maybe. Will she be ok has it done her any serious harm. Please doctor be honest with me we are due to marry in a few weeks i can’t lose her, i love her.”

More tears flowed down my cheeks as i played with my hair not sure what to do. Poison in her food, how, why, who? I couldn’t believe it.

“we should be able to control it and get rid of it and in time although Amy will be rather ill form it the next week. I understand how you feel Mr Davies but the police will want to speak with you maybe we could find out who would do this to such a lovely person such as Miss Phillips, I’m sure that is what you want?”

I nodded it was exactly what i wanted but first Ed and Elena deserved to know. After the doctor vanished i popped my head into the door and called them outside to speak. Maybe they could have an insight as to who could be behind this but to be able to tell them i would have to calm myself down again, since tears wouldn’t stop flowing. It was something due to happen since i had never felt so much love for someone before and now to know i had nearly lost them and how ill they had gotten i was an emotional wreck.