It's Not So Dark When We're Together

Fifty-One

Ed’s POV

Finding out that Amy had actually been poisoned came as a shock to me and Elena. I couldn’t believe someone would do this to her but Elena seemed to have an idea on some possibilities on who would. The rest of the guys had come back home now and once been informed were soon up during visiting hours to see Amy also shocked at the news they received.

However sitting and watching Alex day in and day out was breaking me up inside. He was my best friend after all. As i watched him sit there you could tell how much Amy been comatose was making him crumble. Each day i came in i could tell a little more weight was falling off him, his body messed up. His eating had died down a lot and his eyes showed huge dark patches beneath them from the uncomfortable nights sleep he had, of which he usually woke up during due to his mind running wild. Watching him really made me understand how one person can mean so much to another. I knew that if it was me in his situation i would be in the same dishevelled state.

One morning we had managed to get him to come with us all to the cafeteria however whilst doctors ran a couple of tests on Amy. I encouraged him to eat some toast which he picked at before quickly drinking a mug of coffee. He soon left us heading back to Amy’s room to sit with her but i wasn’t going to stop him, he loved her and cared for her so much.

Once the rest of us had finished breakfast we took a slow walk towards Amy’s room. I was leading the group Elena at my side but as we neared the room both of us came to a sudden standstill. As i looked on i could see doctors running in and out of Amy’s room, what had happened now, where was Alex?

I slowly walked up to the window to see doctors wrapping bandages around Amy’s wrists a bloodied knife was within a police officers hand, Alex nowhere to be seen. It was then i noticed muddy shoe prints against a side door beside a small window. I walked over and on looking out saw two figures fighting in the alleyway. I called teddy to my side almost instantly and he looked out. The look in his eyes as he turned to me confirmed my thoughts. It was alex fighting with that Mike guy that Elena had mentioned. Alex said he wouldn’t go after him unless.

“Ted’s what if Mike tried to finish her off?”

My voice was a low whisper not wanting to allow others to hear.

“That’s the best bet, Alex wouldn’t do anything unless provoked. He learnt.”

I didn’t need anything else i knew that was clearly the reason. I watched on to see Alex throw a ton of punches into Mike and knew he had to be stopped before he caused to much damage or before he himself got hurt. I turned before teddy could pull be back and ran out the door. Teddy stopped Elena following me however which was good.

As i got down to the alleyway they were in i watched for a couple more minutes to see if Alex would know i was there and would stop. He carried on though. He laid his knee into mike’s stomach and i winced in pain on mike’s behalf, alex was stronger than he knew, i had learnt that much. My feelings for Mike soon disappeared though as i remembered that he had poisoned Amy and then tried to kill her off completely, that much was clear, i didn’t need some officer to tell me that.

I stepped closer calling Alex’s name out but his mind seemed to be completely shut off. I saw my opportunity however and tried to pull him back. He pulled free quickly though and punch in my direction hitting me in the lip. I could feel blood start to run down my chin from it as i seemed to have to wait for him to finish.

Luckily Alex only laid one more punch into Mike before Mike ducked back avoiding Alex and almost whimpering away. As Alex stepped back it showed the full extent of Mike’s injuries. His nose bleeding quite bad, his lip dripping blood his one eye starting to bruise already. His plain white t-shirt was sprayed with light blood spatter and dirt from the alleyway. As he looked up at Alex though i could see the hatred. The hatred caused by Alex and Amy getting together, and now getting engaged and married.

Alex now turned to see who he had hit. As he turned the look of sorrow was on his face. Mine showed that of fear as i saw his own face. His cheek was already bruising badly, his lip bleeding from two points and a scratch close to his eye was also trickling blood.

His back to Mike he mouthed an apology to me before gently wiping the blood from my chin for me.

“It was him that did this wasn’t it, to amy. I saw the knife the doctors are there now and the rest of the guys outside.”

As Alex nodded we didn’t hear that Mike was getting up from his place on the muddy alleyway. Within a second or two Alex was yanked backwards an arm clamped tight around his throat as the two of them hit the floor. It as then that a small silver object glinted and i realised. My best friend was in danger now.

I dived towards Mike’s hand that held the blade as Alex tried to struggle from what was now a tight grip on his throat. I could hear Alex struggling for breath as he fought the best he could. I felt the blade cut across the top of my hand but i didn’t care i aimed to get that blade out his hand before he seriously injured my best friend.

As i scratched and clawed to open what was know a fist i felt alex beside me slowly getting weaker, his breathing becoming painful as he was half strangled. It was as i felt his body get less violent that i knew i had to gain the blade. As i held Mike’s wrist into the dirt i kicked in the nearest place i could, only by chance was it the most vulnerable place for a male. As i heard Mike wretch his hand unclenched upon instinct and i grabbed the blade. As i did i heard more voices come to us, familiar voices though. I turned and thrust the blade into teddy’s hand who ran back towards the direction of police who he had no doubt alerted to the fight going on. As he ran Mike threw up letting go of alex in the process. I grabbed him up with the help of Dan and his arms around our shoulders he managed to walk himself back to the hospital. As we emerged from the alleyway to officers ran into it before dragging out Mike and towards a conveniently parked police car. They yelled that they wouldn’t charge alex it was in defence to his girlfriend and so we helped him back to the hospital.

As we got into Amy’s room Alex’s breathing started to recover a little more. A nurse was soon on hand to help with any injuries gained first cleaning up my lip and then cleaning out the slice across the back of my hand before placing a dressing on it to prevent it bleeding further. She then turned to Alex as he lay in the chair, he had been given an oxygen mask to help him catch his breathing back completely as she started to clean up some of the wounds that were currently reachable.

Once Alex had finally been completely sorted and was somewhat back to normal, except for the bruising he had gained to his face and the cuts we turned our attention to what had happened to Amy. Elena sat beside me kissing the back of my hand and forcing me to sit down before she explained.

The wounds Amy had received to her wrist weren’t to bad thanks to the quick actions of Alex pulling Mike back. Her wrist was however now covered in a thick layer of white bandage. Alex eyes were full of sorrow as he looked at Amy’s face again. The injuries ma of actually helped Amy in the long run with poisoned blood possibly leaking from her veins which was a positive note from the whole thing.

I sat there for the rest of the day watching Alex go back in the shell he had built for himself since Amy first got ill. The other guys headed back to the house after speaking to an officer and i informed them that me and Elena would be home soon.

After finally bidding goodbye and goodnight to alex and that he was to stay out of trouble now Elena pulled me out the door and to home. When we got back we both headed straight to bed. I was personally exhausted from what had happened and Elena was sat on cheering me up a tad and also looking after me. As i settled down she kissed my cheek gently as she dabbed at any blood that was still on occasion coming from my lip. She was so gentle and caring about it. Once she was done i rested my head against hers as we sat and talked.