It's Not So Dark When We're Together

Sixty-Five

Ed’s POV

I couldn’t believe it when Elena said she was pregnant, i felt like i was going to just hit the floor in shock. I was going to be a dad. Mind you i don’t think Gary was expecting the news either he was going to have a field day in a couple of years time. I couldn’t wipe a smile off my face at all however.

As four of us sat in the living room, Elena and Amy in some large discussion over the children me and alex sat talking about whether the kids would be musicians or not and other traits that each might gain. I hoped our child gained their mum’s looks though, she was the most beautiful person i had ever seen in my life. A woman i was proud to be having a child with.

I was soon moving and settling down beside Elena, my lips leaving gentle kisses on her cheek every few minutes until she turned her full attention to me. Amy headed to sit with Alex on the other sofa and i cuddled up to Elena more. As i looked from her face and down to her stomach, my hand pacing with hers and resting onto her stomach i smiled more. As i kissed Elena’s cheek again a bright flash came from the other side of the room. I jumped at it as i looked over to see Amy sat there mobile phone in hand.

I laughed as Elena shook her head at Amy and Amy shuffled back behind Alex’s arm as Alex turned to kiss her as the door knocked. Alex, used to answering the front door, got it for us and i thanked him as he passed me to loose in everyone else.

The living room was soon full of noise as Gary handed Elena a bouquet of flowers and hugging us both with congratulations. Dan was pretty happy with been an uncle to two children now as well. As the night went on i had a couple of beers but nothing drastic, Elena and Amy were both sat drinking fruit juice and Amy currently had a plate of beetroot in front of her, which was what she was always craving at the moment.

It was quite an enjoyable evening for everyone but at ten pm i was already ready for heading to bed and relaxing with Elena in my arms. Luckily a few of the others were feeling the same way and so decided home was best after an afternoon of celebrations. Once we had said goodbye to everyone and made sure the house was tidy me and Elena climbed the stairs for bed.

As i pulled the duvet up over the pair of us, Elena lying curled up against my side and her arm resting on my bare chest i kissed her goodnight as we got a full night’s rest.

******************************************
Alex’s POV

It had gotten so close to Amy’s due date now i was prepared each day for us to be wheeling off to hospital. We had seen Ed and Elena again a couple of days ago and Elena now had a bump. However my priority now was the bump Amy had which was rather large.

The room had already been decorated and had cream coloured walls, with a border of teddies going around the edge. We had bought some clothes that were all white and wouldn’t start getting anymore until the day of birth when we knew the sex of the child.

The due date was 5th march and it was the 3rd today so i was pretty much ready for the whole child birth thing. I was going to be present at the birth that had already been arranged although i wasn’t sure how i was going to react, Elena would be waiting outside the room with ed and the others in the waiting room that the maternity ward had.

On the 5th of March the two of us headed up to the hospital since Amy hadn’t had any sign that the child was ready the nurses wanted to check everything was fine which was standard procedure anyway. Once checked over the nurses asked if she minded staying in overnight as it seemed the child shouldn’t of been to late. Amy agreed and i spent all of the visiting hours sat with her. The night i spent napping in the relatives room not wanting to miss anything.

The evening of the 7th march Amy was in labour and everyone was in the waiting room whilst i stood in a green overall beside Amy. Her hand was tight around mine as she started to give birth to the child, sounds of pain leaving her mouth making me feel rather uneasy, and i just wanted to stop her been in pain.

As the nurse at the end of the bed announced that she had the head i felt my own head go light. I looked at the nurse quickly who shot a worried look at me before i felt myself fall.

***********************************
Amy’s POV

If there’s one thing that you don’t need when your giving birth to a child is your husband fainting beside you and knocking himself out for a little longer by his head connected with a metal trolley.

This was one thing i had to put up with however. As a couple of doctors came placing Alex on a trolley and taking him no doubt to a room to be sorted out, i rolled my eyes at the lump on the bed, as a nurse asked if i would like someone else here. I asked for Elena knowing she would be able to stomach this and that it would be good practise for her and to prepare Ed.

As she came in now also dressed in a green overall she stood beside me. As the child that had caused me pain for some time now finally emerge i breathed a sigh of relief as Elena kindly handed me a cool towel to wipe my face with. I smiled as i heard a cry from the bottom of the room and was soon handed a child in a light blue hospital blanket.

“Well done Mrs Davies you have a healthy baby boy.”

The nurse handed me the child once i was again comfortable and everything had been cleared up and the baby had been weighed. Taking the small bundle into my arms i smiled as his cries silenced.

“Hello Caleb, shame your daddy couldn’t see you born what’s he like?”

“Caleb Davies, i like it, has a ring to it. He’s gorgeous Amy, and has Alex’s eyes”

I smiled cradling Caleb gently in my arms as the others lowly and quietly filed into the room, well except Ed who was waiting for Alex to come around still.

As Dan perched on the edge of the bed he smiled tickling Caleb’s chin. Caleb’s little hand curled around Dan’s little finger tightly and i watched as Dan smiled more.

“Seems he already loves his uncle dandy.”

“He’s got a vice like grip already.”

I smiled before stifling a yawn as teddy, Ali and Gary took in Caleb. Mine and Alex’s parents were going to give me chance to rest and had phoned Elena to let her know that they would be coming to see their grandson tomorrow morning.

The nurse soon kindly placed the now sleeping Caleb into a crib as i was moved back onto the maternity ward. Caleb soon to be following. Dan said he would go get me some news on how Alex was and i wasn’t quite expecting him to return an hour later with a still slightly groggy Alex in tow.

As Alex saw my face and the crib the other side of the bed he seemed to perk up more and came over hugging me.

“Well done, I’m so sorry i fainted.”

“Don’t worry about it, but i expect your going to go take a look at your son.”

“So we have a Caleb Davies in the family now then. Alex smiled as he walked around tot he crib. As he stood near Caleb started to cry again and i gently got out and picked him up, once calm i handed him to his dad. I watched on smiling as alex carefully handled Caleb rocking him slightly before settling on the edge of my bed.

“He’s just as beautiful as his mum.”

Ed had by now peered in the door the last to see the new addition to the Davies cohort. He soon bid goodbye however allowing me to relax and that he would be back with the other’s at some point tomorrow.

Just before Elena left though she came back into the room armed with a camera. Alex turned and holding Caleb so he could be see Elena kindly snapped some photo’s of the three of us before finally saying goodbye.

As Caleb started to snooze off in his dad’s arms i smiled kissing alex before lying back in my bed.

“You get some rest you’ve had a tiring day, i will still be sat here when you wake up.”

I smiled nodding at Alex before allowing myself to drift off to sleep very exhausted.