It's Not So Dark When We're Together

Sixty-Nine

Alex’s POV

Having allowed Ed and Elena time to settle back into home life with Angel we had spoken about making the most of the nice weather we seemed to be having. With Caleb now wanting to explore things a little more, equally wearing me and amy out we decided a nice outing to the local park would be sufficient. As i stood outside evaluating the warmth of the air i decided a shirt and jeans would be fine for me but me an amy put a jacket over Caleb’s t-shirt, knowing the rest of him would be warm with jeans and a mini pair of converse on. We had placed a blanket into the back of the pushchair just incase it got a little colder but other than that we were ready.

Just as Amy managed to get Caleb to sit still in his pushchair the door bell rang and opened revealing Dan, teddy and Ali. I lifted the pushchair down through the porch area on to the drive as amy locked up Dan kneeling down in front of Caleb teaching him to high five, certainly typical of his uncle Dan. As Amy walked around me to greet Dan and ruffling his hair i heard Caleb’s adorable laugh above any other nice making me smile. After a few minutes we were ready to head around to Ed and Elena’s before walking down to the park.

When we got to the cottage i smiled to see them just leaving the front door, the pushchair with basket part held onto by Elena who definitely was a natural mum. Ed stood beside her hand around her waist once the door had been locked and the two met us all at the end of the driveway allowing us to start the fifteen minute walk down to the nearest park. The walk down was rather relaxing what with general conversation occurring between everyone and also band talk as well for the near future. Caleb was muttering random words of gibberish at times but also adding in the occasional baba if Angel cried or momma and dada when he wanted some attention off me or Amy.

When we finally reached the park we first took to settling down on a nearby bench near to the open field, Angel was hungry and Ed and Elena needed to feed her before we got any further and it allowed Caleb five or ten minutes to settle on the grass with me, Dan, teddy and Ali. Sitting down Caleb instantly crawled off to sit by Dan, i smiled as Dan sat in front of him trying to teach him to say dan dan. At first it started as just dada at which each time i smiled, as i lay back leaving amy to talk to Elena for a little while, as Ed came to join us teddy started talking.

“To think, all this has happened since those two girls were hired to work with us, did you pair ever think you’d find someone, get married and have kids and still be able to keep the band going all at once?”

“If I’m honest no, i expected the band to suffer but Elena is just amazing, I’m sure alex feels the same about amy. I mean we’ve all been through quite a lot since the start but to have this now and still have the band going but have children to it’s just, well amazing.”

I nodded along with what Ed said agreeing with pretty much everything. I literally felt like i had an angel making sure my life was as perfect as i could ask it nowadays. I hadn’t actually thought of me been a dad to much but i actually enjoyed it.

Once Angel was satisfied we continued walking down to the play park area. As we stood near to the toddler swings Caleb spotted them instantly wanting to be out of his seat and in a swing. Dan took the honours of pushing him gently as Elena started to snap photo’s of us all, a few of which she had got of the group whilst we were on the field to. We spent about half an hour on the park, Ali deciding he was going on the large slide on the bigger part of the park, which was hilarious due to the shots Elena got, it also mean ti had to go down it with Caleb sat on my lap. As we slid down all i heard was Caleb’s giggle as the breeze blew past us, as we got to the bottom Caleb started to clap his hands his cheeky smile on his face.

We soon moved on and walked around heading for the large duck pond they had. We all settle don two benches that were together talking as Caleb sat on Amy’s lap watching Angel as she was in Elena’s arms. Ed had now taken to getting a few pictures as we wondered around and got quite a few of the girls and the two kids.

**********************************
Elena’s POV

I smiled watching’s Caleb stood watching little Angel. I could see that Ed had my camera now attached to him and was snapping a few pictures, he was pretty good with a camera himself. I was talking to Amy when i saw Dan and Ali get up out the corner of my eye. Watching them i saw them take a couple of slices of bread and throw it into the pond drawing over some ducks and a fair few Canada geese.

As i continued to watch Amy and Caleb now watching along with everyone else on the benches, dan started to walk toward a Canada goose. The Canada goose started to waddle off slowly and as Dan started to chase it more it ran faster heading closer to Ali who then started to running to, as the two idiots and the bird ran along the edge of the pond i watched Dan lose his footing.

It was then that everyone watched Dan slide closer to the edge of the pond, although he was close enough, not regain his footing and as if in slow motion fall towards the cold water, the ducks nearby started to take flight, clearly knowing that a large blonde drummer would squash them otherwise.

It didn’t take long before there was a loud splash as dan hit the water, going under for a few seconds before quickly resurfacing spluttering as he headed for the edge. None of us had moved and Ali had stopped dead in his tracks as he turned in time to see Dan fall in. It was pretty silent as a couple of dog walkers watched us all as Dan headed for the edge. Although that silence was soon stopped by Caleb bursting into a giggle fit. I smiled slightly as Caleb stood watching his uncle dan in the pond, soaking wet. Dan must of heard Caleb laugh because he looked over at him smiled and shook his head as he finally reached the side of the pond, not been helped by the soggy and now heavy clothing he was wearing.

It was then that Ali spoke up,

“At least i have your phone and keys on me so they are safe, didn’t bring any cash did you?”

“Pockets were empty thankfully, trust me to be the only one to fall in the pond after slipping on goose crap.”

I shook my head as i to smiled as Dan started to struggle up the side of the pond. It didn’t work as he planned because he slid back down, meaning Teddy and Ali headed over to help him up.

Taking a hand each the two of them pulled Dan up and as he stood up straight thanking them they covered their noses.

“Jesus Christ Dan you officially stink, and your covered in goose poo and horrible water, you need a shower and quick.”

To say Ali stated the obvious was true as i noticed the dog walkers continue to head wherever as the rest of the group started to get ready, we were clearly heading home and allowing dan to shower, although it wouldn’t hurt to all chill at either the cottage or Alex’s and sit in the garden with the kid where they could do basically what they liked.

As we started to walk back Ed now stood beside me again, Dan having to walk behind the group on his own because of the smell Ed kissed me.

“oh and i got pictures as Dan fell in the pond and after shots, I’m sure they will be amusing to look at when we get back.”

“Certainly, still got a fair bit of the day left though.”

“hey, Ed, Elena, you want to join the rest of us and dan once he’s smelling fresh again round our place, we were thinking of sitting in the garden for a few hours a couple beers to those who want or can have one and stuff.?”

I looked over to Alex who had turned to ask.

“Yeah sure, sounds good, was just thinking that myself.”

The walk back was enjoyable and before long we were all in the garden, including a fresh smelling Dan having a laugh. Caleb was running rings around his mum and Dad, and getting them on the trampoline with him, uncle Dan to of course, whilst angel lay on her play-mat under the shade of an umbrella, both me and Ed sat by her.