It's Not So Dark When We're Together

Seventy-Four

Gary’s POV

I made sure the young girl was treated for her own injuries. Once i knew she was ok i left, John staying with her as she had no-one else. I left the hospital my heart aching at the thought of losing what was essentially my daughter. As i got back down to the station i spotted John’s cousin and headed over.

“Hey, do you know when they will be moving the bodies from down there?”

“Soon i would expect, if you stay around here i shall inform you once the coroners start to move them”

I explained i had to go and inform the husband but would be back as soon as possible. I knew this was going to be the hardest part, how do you let Ed know what has happened to the person he loved, the death of the mother of his child. I couldn’t even form a sentence as i stood there, picking through my mind how i could say this. There was no easy way to let him down, whatever way would tear him apart.

*****************************************
Ed’s POV

I was grateful that tomorrow Elena would be returning home. I had missed her this past week and couldn’t wait to have her back in the house, i was sure Angel was getting bored of just having her Dad to play with when Dan wasn’t around.

At the current time Amy and Caleb were both around. I had asked if Caleb would come to keep Angel occupied for a few hours and Amy agreed to bring him around. Alex had however disappeared into the studio at home and he wasn’t expected to be seen until he got hungry. I was sprawled out across the one sofa looking forward to tomorrow so much. I could see that Amy was missing having her best friend around to talk to, she seemed a lot quieter, more than likely due to not been able to have the woman talks her and Elena had a fair bit.

As i lay sprawled out, amy sat on the chair a mug of coffee in hand i watched angel. Her black hair always seemed to sit perfectly on her head, her little red headband standing out against the black. Her red dress neatly around her the white sleeves of it coming to her elbows. I smiled as i watched her and Caleb play quietly with several toys.

As it drew closer to her nap time she picked up her favourite teddy that she took everywhere and pulled herself onto the sofa. I knew that as she hugged me she was ready for her nap and so took her upstairs to sleep for a few hours. Caleb who instead of a teddy had a small blanket had gone to sit on Amy’s lap. As she rocked him in her arms he gently fell into a light sleep himself, clearly warn out after playing for a few hours. She gently lay him in the chair she was on and instead took to sitting on the floor.

We sat talking for a while before my phone started to ring from the hall. I headed out and picked it up noting it was Gary as i answered it arriving into the living room again. I said hello and the return i got i almost instantly felt something was wrong. Gary’s voice had sadness to it, hurt and some sort of regret as if he didn’t want to be making this call to me.

“Gary what’s up, you sound upset, has something happened?”

“Ed, I................are you alone?”

“Amy’s hear the two kids are asleep. Gary please what’s wrong. Are you hurt?”

“Please hand the phone to Amy for two seconds.”

I did as he asked and i watched Amy’s face, as the rumble of Gary’s voice echoed through the receiver Amy managed to keep a straight face. She replied with a simple ok before passing me back the phone. As i spoke to Gary explaining i was back Amy had gotten up and flicked on the TV, which instantly came on to a news programme.
I watched Amy’s face work everything out and a tear fil in her eye. I watched the screen before panic started to fill my voice.

“Gary what aren’t you telling me, please i must know. However hard it is for you i must know. Why the news channel what’s happened please.”

“Ed, be prepared and i will understand if you place the blame on me but please sit down before i tell you this.”

I sat down onto the sofa, making sure my voice had awoken Caleb first before i said that i was sat.

“Your watching the news right?”

“Yes”

“What is the main headline on?”

“An explosion on the London tube near Victoria.”

“Where am i based when working photography down here.”

“near, Victoria station............”

I went silent as realisation struck me. I felt a lump get stuck in my throat.

“it’s Elena........isn’t it?”

“she.....she helped at least 50 injured off that tube, along with a Chinese girl she was going to be directing, she ....... Ed.... I can’t say it. I can’t believe it myself but the Chinese girl she told me.......... I’m sorry Ed really sorry.”

I heard Gary break down in tears as slowly realisation sunk in, she was gone, killed but how if she had helped 50 off?

“How, why was she on there?”

“There was a second explosion as she helped the last survivor her side off, she insisted this morning that she was fine on the tube, I had to pick the band up and she wanted to be set-up before they got there. I told her i would call a cab but she wouldn’t have it, said she was fine. I argued with her not to catch it, i wish i hadn’t given in. It’s my fault.”

“No it isn’t Gary, please don’t blame yourself. I just, i can’t believe it, she’s really, gone? Have you seen her, her body?”

“I’m waiting for john’s cousin to inform me, I’m sorry this shouldn’t be a conversation ever to had. I promise to phone you once i know more, the news shall be your best bet until then. Sorry.”

I heard Gary sniff before the line clicked off. I dropped the phone onto the sofa, i was suddenly shaking before tears ran freely down my cheeks. Amy was already at my side hugging me, trying to comfort me as we both absorbed the news that she was gone. The tears just wouldn’t stop, my body shaking as i cried harder, this couldn’t be true. I had to be dreaming that i would wake up, i pinched myself to check but i was awake.

Amy’s hands loosened off my shoulders as she stood herself up again, the tears till flowing down her cheeks as she pulled her phone from her pocket, no doubt phoning alex. I watched her walk into the kitchen before i heard Angel’s voice gently from upstairs. I wiped my tears away straightening myself out as best as i could as i went up to her. I picked her up as she rubbed her eyes hugging my neck, as we got downstairs she looked into my eyes as she heard amy crying form the kitchen.

“Daddy why you sad?”

“Daddy received bad news. It’s ok.”

“daddy can’t be upset.”

I couldn’t help but fill with more sadness. How was i going to tell angel she would never see her mum again, would never fully know mum. As these thoughts ran through my mind angels little arms wrapped around my neck, her head resting against my cheek.

“Don’t be sad daddy, i look after you.”

My heart almost melted as angel kissed my cheek, trying to cheer me up in her own way. I was sat on the sofa her sat in my arms as i watched the news, the death of Elena tearing me apart inside as i tried to cover the cracks on the outside. I knew i must hide it from angel for today at least. Amy came in trying to cover up her own tears as she informed me alex would be round as soon as. I nodded and decided that maybe teddy, dan and Ali should also be informed, Gary had told me he was about to phone Elena’s mum himself. After phoning the others who said they would be round soon me and Amy both phoned our parents. The kids couldn’t be around this as we all took it in over the fist few hours, i needed the time to decided on a plan to tell Angel, how i would bring it up as she was to young to understand. I also needed the time to mourn and for Gary to really tell me the story of what happened. My mind was a wash of thoughts this was hard, how exactly do you deal with the loss of the one person you loved, the mother of your child the one you planned to grow old with. All i could do for now was cry without angel realising to much.