Status: Completed - Go check out the sequel :)

Save the Day

Chapter 7

“Are there any other talents we should be aware of?” Someone suddenly asked from beside me. The actual barbeque ended a few hours ago and mostly everyone went home. Nick, Kevin, Joe, and Garbo were inside playing some video game that I had to interest in, so I came outside. I was just sitting poolside, watching the moonlight dance across the water’s surface.

I glanced up at Nick who started sitting next to me, placing his feet in the water. I laughed, “Probably. Will I tell you? Probably not.”

He smirked and slightly kicked some water into the air. “Not even if I ask nicely?”

“Well… maybe. We’ll see.”

“Did you play any other sports?” He asked.

“Yes,” I answered and Nick just gave me a look. “What? I didn’t say it would be easy.”

He just shook his head as he laughed, “Well then, I just have to form my questions correctly. What sport did you play during the winter season?”

I smiled, “Basketball.”

“Were you any good?”

I shrugged, “I guess. I was the captain of the varsity team my junior and senior year if that helps.” I wasn’t one for self-boasting. I always felt really conceited when I did it, even when I had to.

“What sport did you play during the spring season?”

“Softball,”

“Were you any good?”

I shrugged again, “I don’t know. I played for thirteen years. I must’ve had some sort of talent.” I said laughing.

Nick laughed too and looked straight at me, “Why do you answer questions so literally?”

“What do you mean?” I asked, confusion written on my face.

He sighed and ran a hand through his hair, “I mean you answer every question exactly as asked. You don’t expand or give any details. Why is that?”

I looked at him, his eyes still gazing at me intently and I turned my gaze away quickly. I stared down at my feet that were weaving themselves in the pool water. “I’m not really sure,” I answered finally. “It’s just something I’ve always done my entire life. When things are clouded with too much detail, you lose the real meaning. ‘Beauty is in simplicity’. That was my mother’s favorite quote.” I said smiling sadly.

I laughed as I glanced at him from under my eyelashes, “Was that detailed enough for you?”

He smiled, “It was perfect.” He shifted closer to me, his knee barely gracing mine. “Can I ask you another question?”

I looked up at him and my breath hitched in my throat. “You just did,” I said as smoothly as I could.

He laughed slightly, “Then may I ask you two more questions?”

I smirked, “Sure.”

“Where is your mother?” He asked softly, the words barely leaving his lips as his eyes searched my face.

I looked down quickly and played with my hands. The silence enveloped us as the question hung in the air, waiting to be answered. I sighed deeply before I started to answer, “She uh…” I said as tears started to pool at the edge of my eyes, wishing to fall. “She died about four months ago.” I whispered as I looked up at Nick, a few tears trailing down my face.

His face instantly dropped and he wrapped an arm around my shoulders. “I’m sorry.” He whispered into my ear as I turned my face into his chest. I tried to stop the tears from falling, but they kept coming. Nick just sat there, cradling me into his chest as I continued to soak his shirt in silent tears.

The tears went quickly, but I stayed under the protection of Nick’s embrace. He gave me warmth, safety, comfort – and that was something missing in my life.

Nick noticed that I stopped crying and lifted my head off his chest; his thumb wiping the dried tears off my face as he caressed my cheek. “It’s going to be okay.” He said softly, his hand not leaving my face.

“I know,” I said, nodding. “Thank you Nick. But can you not tell anyone, please. Not even your brothers. I just don’t think I’m ready yet.”

He nodded and smiled sadly, “Of course. I’ll keep it between you and me.” He said, stroking my cheek gently with his thumb.

I smiled as I felt a slight heat rise to my cheeks as we continued to gaze at each other. A cough from behind us sent Nick and me about five feet away from each other.

I glanced over my shoulder and saw Kevin standing by the sliding door with a smug smile on his face. “Morgan, you’re uncle is here to pick you up.” He said a laughing tone clearly present.

“Okay,” I said and pulled my feet out of the pool as I stood. “Thanks again Nick.” He nodded slightly but stayed seated as I walked towards Kevin.

As he led me to the front door I just felt the pride radiating off his body. “Shut up Kevin.” I said under my breath.

“Did I say anything?” He said smugly but I just ignored him.

“See you Joe, nice meeting you Garbo.” I said, noticing that they were in the game room. I left quickly and walked to my uncle’s car before anyone could answer me.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's short, and I really do apologize for that.
BUT WE FINALLY HAVE SOME NICK ACTION! Wooooo! Haha. Sorry that it took so long, but it will become more frequent. ;)

And now we know more about Morgan too (sadly). But the relationship between Nick and Morgan is just beginning, you wait and see.

I changed the rating to PG-13 because nothing really R rated is going to happen (sorry if you were looking forward to that haha). But if it does change as I'm writing, so will the rating.
But don't worry, it's still going to be packed with awesomeness haha =D

COMMENT/SUBSCRIBE

Peace.Love.Write. - Jill =]