She Knew

Strongest Silence

Moonlight. It was really the last comfort John had these days. His skin felt like it was crawling with things that should never have entered them, the drugs and the pot. He knew most of all what he needed to rid his body of, but he just couldn’t do it. He needed her. She was the chemical addiction he just couldn’t shake, her scent like the cocaine that made him feel like he could fly high as a kite.

Eventually he knew he had to make her go. This tour couldn’t last forever, and sweet ol’ Arizona wasn’t the state she called home, and forget America, she didn’t even live in the damn country. Switzerland had sent her to him with a bow on the box, and now the damned place had to go and steal his sweet Cecilia away.

Branches of the trees around him rustled with the wind as he slid down the tree they belonged to. He sat on the ground, his knees curled to his chest, pondering what it was he could do to make her stay. It was just a summer trip, a vacation and a job opportunity. He’d known that from day one, but her blonde hair and porcelain skin were something he didn’t know how to let go of. Did it bother him that she spoke only simple English? No, he loved it about her. Watching her try to communicate with only the most basic words was adorable, and besides he loved teaching her.

Sometimes when John would help her with her English, the girl would give him a kiss. The kisses were always on the cheek, never on the lips. Even so, John loved the contact. The intimacy sparked shivers down his spine, goose bumps all over his skin. Her smile when she got excited was breath taking, too. She loved when he’d dance with her, and twirl her around, and John? Well, he loved it too.

Misunderstood by his band mates, John had no one to talk to. They’d never been in love, he’d tell himself. They didn’t know how it felt to be so drawn to a person that the thought of losing them could reduce you to tears. John was crying at the thought of it. Three more weeks, twenty one days, and it would be goodbye.

Alternating between joy and sadness, John didn’t even hear the quiet footsteps in the leaves behind him. Her sweet voice called his name and he turned to plaster a smile on his face. He hopped to his feet and went to greet her with a hug. She smiled at him sweetly and looked to the tree and back at him. She frowned and wiped at his tears, begging him in the simplest way not to cry. She didn’t understand. She didn’t love him.

Sharp and deliberate, she told him to wait before she ran off in the other direction.

Confused, John leaned against the tree, counting the minutes until she returned. Finally when she did, she had with her a knife. She stepped towards him, and pushed him aside.

Mysterious sounds were all around them, but the most mysterious thing was how she was acting. She pushed the knife into the bark of the tree, slowly carving into the wood. He couldn’t see what she was doing though, so he just waited.

Clouded with curiosity, John’s mind raced. What in the world could she be putting onto the bark of that tree?

Petite and quiet the brilliant Cecilia worked diligently for almost ten minutes before she turned around, and rushed forward to put her hands over John’s eyes. He laughed and tried to move her hand but she kept it there firmly as she leaned forward to plant a kiss on his lips until finally she removed her hand.

Explanatory eyes stared at him and he couldn’t have felt more joy in his heart than he did at that one moment. He looked to the tree to see their names carved inside of a heart, lopsided, but still beautiful. Once again he began to cry, hugging her. She simply shook her head,

“Stop,” She pleaded with him, batting her long eyelashes as she kissed him again. He told her he loved her, and even if she didn’t know the word, she knew what he meant, just by the way he held her.

She stared up at him, longingly, and their kisses continued, silent stares the only communication they needed.

Call it what you will, but this was tried and true love, and not even distance could tear them down.