Misfortune and Sorrow Go Hand in Hand

Chapter 4

When I next opened my eyes the sun was just starting to rise, faint beams of light filtering through the gap in my curtains. Considering it was winter, that would make it at least 7 o’clock, and if I was planning on going to school, I’d have to get up now.
Or not.

Hours later, my mum came and knocked on my bedroom door, finally realising that I hadn't left for school.

"Chelsea, honey, I have to go to work now. I'll be back around six, but if you need me just phone the office, okay?" She spoke slightly hesitantly.

I should have replied, or thanked her for not forcing me to go to school, but I didn't.
When I heard the stairs creek, and the door click closed I figured it was time I got up. I hated my room. It wasn't private, and my mum would come in whenever she felt like it. I couldn't really call it my room.

I swung my legs over the side of the bed and jumped as my feet touched the cold, un-carpeted floor. We moved into this house about ten months ago. My mum had made us move out of our old house when my dad had died. She had said it would be bad for me to have to stay in the same house after what had happened.

Personally, I don't think it had anything to do with me. I know it was destroying her staying there, and for that reason I let her move us into a tiny, grubby little house with no wallpaper and no carpets. I had left my home for her, and she couldn't even give me a little privacy once in a while. How generous! As I padded down the stairs I toyed with the idea of breakfast, before realising I wasn't really hungry. I decided to skip food today. Probably for the best, considering I needed to lose some weight anyway.

I walked into the lounge room, and flopped my tired body onto the sofa. TV seemed like a good option today. Some mindless program would be good, just to stop me from being bored to death.

Sam's POV

I had been on edge all day; Chelsea hadn't turned up to registration at school today, and that's when our tutor had told us about Bryony's car accident. I didn't know Bryony too well, but I did know that she and Chelsea had been best friends for years.
"I hope she's okay." I thought aloud.
Dean gave me a look of sympathy.

"You need to concentrate on your welfare this year Sam. Do you want to have to redo your GCSEs again?"

He was right, I resigned - “I know."
I had to move on. My affection for Chelsea had unknowingly distracted me from my work for the whole of last year, and here I was about to let her do it again.
“Where do I start?”

“I’m gonna help you meet someone new” he grinned. “Trust me, I’ll find someone perfect for you.”

I scoffed, unable to hide my doubt in his matchmaking abilities.

Dean glowered at me for a moment then sighed, “I thought you wanted my help.”

“Do I really have to meet someone new?” I whined “Can’t I just concentrate in class more?”

“You really don’t get it do you,” He had raised his voice slightly now, getting frustrated, “unless you get a new crush, you’ll never get over Chelsea.”
“I will.” I retorted, “Just give me time.”

*

I was finding this task a lot easier than I had first presumed it to be. I had promised myself that I would ignore Chelsea completely this week, but she was doing all the hard work for me. It was now Friday, and I hadn’t seen her at all since our English lesson on Monday. Ignoring her was easy because she hadn’t been at school, but that was making me worry about her constantly. Exactly what I was trying to put a stop to.

I was lying on my bed, trying to calm my nerves, when a sudden vibration in my jeans pocket brought me back to reality. The sound of Hinder’s ‘Get Stoned’ acting as my ringtone almost enticed me to just leave the phone, and drift back into the music. Almost.

“Hello.” I mumbled into the phone.

“Hey Sam.” Dean’s voice came instantly down the line. “You up to anything this evening?”

He’d obviously missed my less than enthusiastic greeting, and waited nonchalantly for my reply.

“I’m busy.” I spoke trying to feign disappointment; “I have to go see my Gran this weekend…”

“Fuck.” He spoke, more to himself than me it seemed.

After a few seconds he continued, “I was gonna introduce you to someone…”

“Shit. Sorry” I replied, trying to keep up my act, “Next time?”

“Yeah, definitely dude. Seeya.”

And with that he hung up. Looks like he bought my lies. I hope he did, because I wasn’t in the mood for arguing. I placed the phone carefully onto my bedside table and let my eyes drift closed.

*
♠ ♠ ♠
ummm i hope this is okay...
Thanks to Abi for checking through it ^_^
hope everyone likes
please comment!