Status: Comments please! Need to know if this is any good, or if anything needs changing.

Fighting Against God

Set in an alternative future, mainly in the United Kingdom, this story follows journalist Cyrus Hismeta, stuck in a world ravaged by war, the quickening effects of climate change and a power hungry, religious fascist dictatorship, risen to power through a disillusioned public, beset and antagonised by the past five years.

A tale built upon the passion behind politics.

Setting and background (the previous five years; 2010-2015):

2010: Charles Ashdown becomes Labour leader in opposition in the UK, and sets out a new socialist policy to create a better society.

Early 2012: President Michael Taylor, of the USA, achieves a peace signing with North Korea, ending tensions between the two countries. With the general election looming, all predictions point to a complete landslide victory for the Democrats.

Late 2012: Michael Taylor and the Democrats loose the USA election, after a new uprising of religious fascists, and with the continuous growth of the Tea Party movement, the Republicans gain power, and Abigail Young becomes president. Taylor's peace signing, with North Korea, has gone against all odds, and backfired, with the Republicans interpreting, and successfully convincing, America's population the Democrats are doing deals with atheists and communists, claiming they knew Taylor was a far left radical after all. With the Democrats plagued by attacks of being a 'Godless party', the South overwhelmingly all vote Republican, with some northern states also following suit.

2013: Young sets out America's foreign policy, aiming to expand the US sphere of influence, with any country differing in beliefs, to be won over by strength. Thinking they are doing God's bidding, following the 1st commandment of the bible, the peace treaty with North Korea is ripped up, and a new war starts between the two countries, claiming, 'there can be no peace with atheist, communist scum'.

Half-way through the UK coalition government's parliament, Prime Minister Mark Sears heavily condemns America's actions, along with the vast majority of the world. However, when North Korea bombs Buckingham Palace, stating 'all of the west must be destroyed', Sears is forced to join the war with the USA, following intense public pressure.

Early 2015: With the UK economy still in dire straits following the immense debt caused by huge borrowing from the previous Labour government, the coalition have started printing money to pay for the war in North Korea, still raging on. Thus, the UK becomes diseased with hyperinflation, and with the UK election coming up, Sears resigns. In an attempt to stop the war with North Korea, deputy prime minister, Duncan Foreman is appointed leader, deliberately for his outspoken atheism; the coalition thus choose to pursue a 'Godless' policy to separate themselves from the religious fascists of America. As a result, a breakaway, deeply religious party is formed from the Conservative part of the coalition, naming themselves 'Dues Mos'.

Late 2015: With the Liberal Democrats loosing all support in the general election, and the coalition party suffering depressingly low popularity, the new socialist Labour party springs to power, creating huge conflict with the Republicans.