‹ Prequel: Freefall
Status: Complete

Plummet

10

Breakfast was great, but after everyone had finished and the heaps of food we’d started out with had been demolished, nerves sank in. I was going to have to leave soon, and then when would I see these people again? I desperately wished I could be friends with them. They were so accepting, so kind. “Do you do girl’s nights often?” I asked Kim.

“Only every week,” she answered happily.

“How exhausting,” I said, thinking about how much just one night had taken out of me.

“Next time, I was thinking we could hit this little café I found. Friday night is poetry night,” Lydia put in. “It’ll be something different. What do you think, Remy?”

I froze. I was being included again! “I think that sounds great.” I glanced over to Embry and saw that he was grinning. It was like he was as pleased that I was being included as I was.

A little while later, Embry stood and said, “I’m going to get going.” My heart sank and I did my best not to let it show. But then he held out a hand to me and said, “Coming, Remy?”

I took it and stood with him, calling goodbyes to everyone and a thanks to Lydia as he pulled me out the door. “Finally, I’ve got you to myself,” he said. I didn’t know what to say to that, but my heart flipped uncomfortably.

“Anything in particular you want to do?” he asked as we got into his car.

“Actually, I probably should get home and take care of Archie,” I said reluctantly. “I don’t know if my dad remembered to let him out enough. And he’s got to be dying for a walk.”

“So you really like dogs?” he asked with a trace of humor in his voice. What was so funny about that?

“Yeah. I’ve always wanted a puppy. Wait until you meet him. He’s the most precious thing in the world.”

“I think I’ll have to disagree there,” he muttered, so quietly I wasn’t sure I was meant to have heard it.

I opened my front door and slipped in, grabbing hold of Archie’s collar before I gestured to Embry that it was okay to come in. He took one look at the trembling pile of pooch and smiled a heartbreaking grin.

“You’re right. He’s great. And he adores you.” I smiled at him, pleased by this. I’d never had someone adore me before.

Embry and I spent the rest of the day walking around, simply getting to know each other. I told him things no one else had ever known about me, and he listened without judgment. Being with him was unlike anything I’d ever known.

Embry had bought me lunch, and later insisted on taking me somewhere for dinner. I wasn’t used to restaurants, but something about him put me at ease. I felt like I could do anything, go anywhere, be anyone, if he was by my side.

Afterwards, we went to the beach and watched the sunset. It was hokey, sure, but it seemed like the perfect end to a wonderful day. It was chilly, though, and he wrapped his arms around me. “You’re so warm,” I said sleepily, leaning my head back against his chest. I’d accepted this days ago as natural for him.

“It’s because I’m a werewolf,” he said, then froze like he hadn’t meant to say it.

I froze too. “What was that?”