‹ Prequel: Freefall
Status: Complete

Plummet

14

I fell asleep during the fourth movie. When I woke up, morning light shone through the curtains and I was settled cozily against a very warm Embry. I looked up at him, surprised, and saw that he was already up.

“Good morning,” he said with a faint smile.

“What are you doing here?” I asked without thinking, then shook my head. “That came out wrong.”

“You were looking so peaceful… I didn’t want to wake you.” I sighed happily and leaned back against him.

Thank goodness, I thought, Dad was out of town for the next couple of days. Eighteen I might be, but he was still my father, and he’d learned all of his parenting skills from sitcoms. Overprotective was an understatement with him.

But then I remembered that I had an early shift at work and bolted upright. “What is it?” Embry asked.

“Work,” I groaned, looking up at the clock that was hanging next to the television. If I hurried, I wouldn’t be late. I sprinted upstairs and slammed my door shut. I changed into my lousy excuse for a uniform in record time.

I was more than a little breathless as I dashed back downstairs. I rummaged through the coat closet in the front hall, looking for the one I usually used to cover myself before and after the shift.

I didn’t even hear Embry come up behind me. “What are you doing?” he demanded. I turned around and couldn’t think of what to say. His eyes were glowing with rage and he was so angry that his whole body shook.

I’d never seen such anger in my life. I took an automatic step back as I remembered what he’d told me weeks ago- he lost control and became a wolf if he got too mad. Something told me that that would be a very bad thing right now.

I thought about the scars on Emily’s face. I’d never asked, but things slid into place just then. Claw marks, they might have been. I’d met Sam, and the rest of the pack, as well. Not one of them would have ever attacked her… intentionally.

I took another step back and put up a cautioning hand, as if that would help anything if he changed now.

“Embry, calm down. You have to breathe.” The trembling continued. I blurted, not a little desperately, “Think about Emily! You said you’d never let me get hurt. Prove it!”

Embry jolted and screwed his eyes shut. His muscles strained, too, as he struggled to regain control. I didn’t so much as breathe.

I couldn’t remember ever having been more afraid in my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry, I know this one's a bit shorter than usual.

On the plus side, I can promise another chapter tomorrow, as always.