‹ Prequel: Freefall
Status: Complete

Plummet

15

When Embry finally opened his eyes, they were clear, though his rigid posture told me he was still angry. He stepped towards me, looking ashamed of himself. “I’m so, so sorry, Remy.”

I flew to his side and flung my arms around him, burying my head against his chest. He might have been the source of my fear, but now that the threat was over, it didn’t stop me from turning to him for comfort. He’d quickly become the most important person in my life. I relied on him more than was probably healthy.

“I know. Just as I know you couldn’t help it. No harm, no foul, right?”

But he wasn’t letting himself off so easily. “Remy, if I’d hurt you… I don’t know how I could have lived with myself.”

“Then it’s a good thing you didn’t,” I said briskly, pulling away from him. “Now, could you drive me to work? If I have to take the bus now, I’ll be late for sure.”

“You’re not going anywhere dressed like that,” he said tightly.

“Oh, yes I am. I have to earn money somehow.” I headed for the door, coat forgotten, but he blocked my path. “You can’t stop me.”

“Watch me.”

“Embry, why does it matter to you? You have no right-” He cut me off with a heated kiss.

“Sure I do,” he said smugly, pulling away. I took a few seconds to gather my scattered thoughts.

“How do you figure?” I demanded. Embry looked uncomfortable.

“Be my girlfriend?” he asked. I snapped my mouth shut. Where had that come from?

“Alright.” I was at a loss for words, and he smiled that wide grin of his.

“Now I have the right. I don’t want my girlfriend going around dressed that way.”

Oh. That’s where it came from. I was a fool for not seeing it sooner.

I growled, frustrated, and snapped, “It’s just clothes. If I was a lifeguard, I would be showing even more. Would it bother you then?”

Embry’s brows furrowed and he was angry again. “What? No. but that’s different,” he spluttered.

“No, it’s not. Money’s money, and it’s not like I’m stripping or whoring myself out. That you could object to and I would understand. Do you think I want to wear this? No. But this is what life’s handed me, and I’m taking it.” I pushed past him and started walking down the street towards the bus stop.

I heard Embry’s car door open and shut, then the engine revved.

Good riddance, I thought disgustedly. Too bad I could see that the anger I felt was a poor cover for the hurt and shame.

The car pulled up next to me. Embry rolled down the window and said, “Get in.” I kept walking and refused to look at him.

His car crept beside me. “I’m sorry, Remy! Please, let me drive you? It’s my fault you’re running late.”

I took a dozen more angry steps then gave in. He had a point. As I pulled the passenger door shut behind me, I glanced at him and smiled softly. “Won’t this make a lovely story? We started dating in the middle of our first fight.” He barked out a laugh and I joined in, relieved that the tension between us was gone.