‹ Prequel: Freefall
Status: Complete

Plummet

16

Life, after that, was good. It was easy. Weekly girl’s nights with Lydia, Kim, and Emily- I started requesting those nights off- spending just about all of my free time with Embry, taking care of Archie, and eating most of my meals with my dad kept me busy.

Five weeks after I’d moved here, I already had my pattern and a group of people I was now comfortable calling friends. I felt more at home in Washington than I ever had with my mother.

When I got home from work one day, my whole life changed. The front door was hanging on one hinge and there was a cold, empty feel to the air.

I pulled out my phone and dialed 9-1-1, keeping my finger on the ‘call’ button, but not yet putting it through. I had to know what I was dealing with first.

Maybe that was stupid, but knowing that it was didn’t stop me from creeping toward the front door.

I was only halfway across the lawn when a wolf I recognized as Embry came hurdling to a stop in front of me.

“What’s going on?” I asked him, not caring that my voice shook. I buried a hand in his fur for comfort. Of course, he didn’t respond.

Still, he stepped in my way as I maneuvered around him, shaking his head furiously.

I looked around, searching for any sign that could tell me what was happening, but there was nothing, except… my father’s car in the driveway.

Without consciously deciding to, suddenly I was sprinting into the house.

There was a metallic smell in the air that only added to my panic. I clomped up the stairs, taking them three at a time when I saw that the lower level of the house was clear. There were drops of blood trailing down the hallway.

Less eager now to see what was waiting in the room the blood led to- my father’s room- I slowed and took a deep breath.

I heard footsteps pounding toward me and cowered against the wall. My hands were trembling so badly, my phone clattered to the floor.

Embry appeared at the top of the steps, in human form, and I threw myself into his arms. His lips brushed against my hair, but I didn’t feel the normal comfort he brought. “I’m sorry, so sorry,” he kept saying.

“Is it safe?” I asked, hating how weak I sounded.

“Yes. But you should come back downstairs with me. I’ve already called the cops. They should be here soon.”

He let go of me, only to put an arm around my shoulders and start guiding me back toward the staircase.

“Dad,” I said, refusing to budge. “Is he okay?”

“I’m sorry,” Embry said again. I yanked myself away from him.

“What happened?” I demanded.

“A vampire followed my scent here. She was angry with me, seeking revenge. I’m sorry.”

Before he could react, I spun around and ran down the hall, stopping at Dad’s doorway.

I should have let Embry take me away from this. In the three seconds I stood frozen in the doorway, the scene burned itself permanently into my memory.

Embry picked me up, bridal style, and I buried my head against his chest, locking my arms tightly around his neck. I didn’t intend to let go any time soon.

Though I screwed my eyes shut, I could still see the room.

There was a pool of blood with most of a leg in it. Blood splattered on the walls like paint. Unidentifiable pieces of insides strewn about with abandon. What was left of my father, crumpled in a boneless heap on the ground.

Whoever had done this had reveled in it. It was the stuff of nightmares.