‹ Prequel: Freefall
Status: Complete

Plummet

20

When I woke up in the morning, I was lying alone in my own bed with the covers tucked in up to my chin. I heard clanging downstairs, then a series of extremely creative curses.

Embry was still here. I grinned and dashed out of my room, sparing only a minute to brush my teeth before heading downstairs. He was there, making eggs and what looked like they were supposed to be waffles.

“My boyfriend, the master chef,” I said, grinning. He blushed and didn’t say anything. That wasn’t like him. A few tension-filled moments later, I couldn’t take it anymore. “Looks good,” I lied, just to say something. Now he did laugh. I almost let out a sigh of relief.

I knew why he was probably acting strange. He was freaked out about what I’d said last night. He didn’t love me. And maybe he hadn’t actually wanted to stay here with me. Maybe he was sick of protecting me.

I shook my head, trying to snap myself out of it. His strange mood was putting me in a worse one. Even if I didn’t have faith in Embry and what was between us, there was the imprint to think about. Of course he cared, of course he didn’t mind. Or so I told myself. But easier said than believed.

“Remy, I think we need to talk.” I plopped down onto one of the chairs. I didn’t want to embarrass myself by having my knees give out. This… it didn’t sound good.

“What about?” I asked. My voice trembled a bit and I mentally yelled at myself. Way to play it cool. I lifted my hand to the wolf pendant I always wore for comfort. For once, though, it felt cold.

“I keep telling myself not to go here yet, not to push you. I know you’re still recovering. But I don’t think I can do this anymore.” I think, in that instant, my heart stopped beating. I froze up, doing my best not to let my expression show the… anguish, the panic. He couldn’t be leaving me. What would I do without him? I didn’t know, but I had a feeling it would involve a lot of therapy.

It took all of the strength I had to keep sitting there, waiting for him to say the words that would effectively ruin the life I was trying to build. But they never came. The next moment, Embry was on both knees before me, forcing me to meet his gaze. I could drown in those eyes of his. He took both of my hands, but they, like my pendant, didn’t bring their usual comfort.

Embry looked… worried. Like he really cared. That might have been the worst thing of all.

“Remy, I love you.” I blinked once, twice. I was wrong? He wasn’t leaving. He… loved me.

Looking back, I was a fool for not having confidence in him, in us. But I’d never seen anyone make a relationship work in the long-term. I’m not sure I even believed it was possible before Embry.

So when he continued with, “And I want you to marry me,” it really threw me.

I stared at him, uncomprehending, for longer than was kind. Poor Embry had laid his heart out at my feet, and, in not responding, I was slowly but surely crushing it. But I was shocked. If anyone had asked me, even a month ago, if I thought I would wed, even years down the road, I would have said no. So I was very surprised when I heard, “Yes,” coming out of my mouth. I clapped my hand over my lips and it was like the whole room was frozen.

“Yes,” I said again, stronger. I laughed giddily and threw my arms around him. We sat there on the floor, not moving, not talking, for a timeless moment, just holding each other.

I remember thinking, ‘so this is what the books were talking about. This is what people spend their whole lives yearning for.’

Looking into Embry’s eyes, I could see the rest of my life. And it was going to be a good one.
♠ ♠ ♠
-Fin

Hope you enjoyed =)