‹ Prequel: Freefall
Status: Complete

Plummet

04

As we walked out of the ice cream parlor together, his hip bumped into mine. I felt that instant of contact spread through my entire body. I glanced up and my eyes met Embry’s. Judging by his expression, he’d felt it, too.

We got into his car and I wondered what to say. While we finished up our frozen treats, things weren’t awkward. Conversation had flowed freely. But now…

Silence is so loud.

Embry drummed the fingers of the hand that wasn’t on the steering wheel along to some music I couldn’t hear. He glanced at me a lot, but didn’t say a word.

A sudden thought blurted out of my mouth, breaking the silence. “When will I see you again?” Embry grinned at this, which was good. It made me feel like less of a socially incompetent idiot for asking.

“Soon,” he answered, but didn’t elaborate. I looked sideways at him and stuck out my tongue. He grinned back. “Tomorrow?” he asked. His careful nonchalance seemed a little forced and an adorable blush was spreading across his cheeks.

“Alright. What have you got in mind?” I stared out my window, refusing to meet the gaze I could feel burning in the back of my head. I didn’t want to show him how much I wanted to see him again.

Play it cool, Remy.

“How do you feel about heights?” he asked. Something about his tone made me look over at him. There was a dangerous look on his face. I sensed a challenge coming.

“I’m not afraid of them, if that’s what you’re getting at.”

I knew instantly from the wicked that flashed on his face that this was the exact wrong thing to say.

“I was thinking we could go cliff diving,” he said off-handedly.

“Cliff diving?” I echoed. Well, squeaked was more like it. “Are you serious?”

Embry barked out a laugh and pulled into my driveway. “I’ll pick you up at ten.”

I opened the car door and stumbled out. If that was anything like the way it sounded, then I was in trouble.

When I reached my front door, I turned back and saw Embry staring at me. I smiled at him and waved before going into the house.

“Where have you been?” Dad demanded.

I turned and looked up at him. “I was out with Jake and his friends. He bought me ice cream to celebrate my birthday.”

Dad’s angry expression melted into a slightly strained smile.

“Oh. Well, that’s… nice.” He turned and walked into the living room.

I wasn’t sure what to do. Follow him? But things were so awkward. Go up to my room? And do what there?

Luckily, he made my decision for me. “Remy, why don’t you come in here for a minute?” he called. I heaved a sigh of relief.

He was standing by a white cardboard box that had illustrations of kittens and puppies on it. He looked nervous and was blushing furiously.

“What’s that?” I asked. I had a guess, but why would he have…?

“I got you something for your birthday.” He gestured helplessly toward the box and I walked over to it and peeked inside.

A puppy. Small and black, it was, and terribly cute.

I’d never believed in love at first sight, but this pup pulled at my heartstrings, demanding my absolute adoration.

I was speechless.

“I just thought that… well, when you were younger, you used to talk all about the puppy you wanted. Had the name picked out and everything. And… well, if you don’t want him I-”

I threw my arms around him, effectively cutting him off. “He’s perfect. Archibald.”

“I really had hoped you wouldn’t inherit your mother’s love of uncommon names.”

I drew away from him, scooping up the sleeping pup and shooting him a playful glare. “What, you don’t think he looks like an Archie?”

Dad kissed my forehead. “I think it’s perfect.”