‹ Prequel: Freefall
Status: Complete

Plummet

07

I spent the whole next day on edge. Embry was on my thoughts much, much more than he had any right to be. I’d known the guy for two days and already he had me tied up in knots.

I played around with my college options for a while, but money issues were weighing on me. Mom certainly wasn’t going to help me pay for college and Dad… well, I’d already asked so much of him and he hardly knew me. How could I ask for more?

It was time to find a job.

Besides, a job hunt would help keep my mind off of a certain boy with a wicked grin and a penchant for trouble.

How could someone like that also be so sweet?

Three restaurants, two fast food joints, and a retail shop later, I felt accomplished- and exhausted. I was already immersed in plans for a relaxing bath and book when the bus arrived at my stop. I was so caught up in my daydreams that I completely didn’t notice Lydia until she waved her hand in front of my face, repeating my name.

“Wha-? Oh! Lydia. Hi,” I stammered. She’d learn soon enough that this sort of thing was common for me.

“I was worried for a minute there. I just saw you and thought it might be a good idea for you to join me and a couple of pals for a girl’s night out.”

I did my best to hide my shock, but I was nearly positive I didn’t succeed. Props to Lydia for keeping a straight face. A part of me, one that was embarrassingly big, told me to refuse the offer. You don’t know this girl, it told me, let alone her friends.

But I was working on becoming a different, better Remy. One who was impulsive and fun. I could read any night. An offer like this, though… it was a first for me. “Absolutely,” I heard myself saying. “What’s on the agenda?”

Lydia’s face lit up, like she really had wanted me to come. “We’re going to the movies, then to a dance club.”

My heart sank. “That’s not really my scene,” I confessed.

“It’s not at all what you’re thinking. No alcohol, no smoking. Just loud music and dancing. Please don’t back out. It’ll be a blast, I promise.”

“Well…” Lydia gave me an encouraging smile and again my mouth formed words without my permission. “Alright. Why don’t you help me pick out an outfit?”

“Great! And then we’ll swing by my place so I can change and meet up with the girls.” Thank goodness I wouldn’t have to figure out what to wear on my own. I was clueless when it came to this sort of thing.

It turned out “helping me pick out an outfit” was girl-speak for “giving me a makeover.” She even convinced me to wear makeup. She put curls in my hair, for goodness’ sake!

When she dragged me over to my mirror, I almost didn’t recognize myself. I looked like the type of girl I’d spent my entire life struggling not to envy- I looked like someone who would be friends with the self-assured, lovely Lydia.

A part of me that I wasn’t proud of glowed.

In the car, Lydia glanced over at me and grinned. “Where’d you get that necklace?” she asked in a too-innocent tone.

I looked down. “Oh, this? It was a birthday present from Embry.”

One of her brows lifted. I’d always longed to be able to do that. “It’s beautiful,” was all she said.

I lifted my hand and touched the smooth pendant, warmed from my own body heat. “It really is.”