‹ Prequel: Freefall
Status: Complete

Plummet

08

“This is Kim,” Lydia said, gesturing to a kind-looking girl, “and Emily,” she indicated, nodding towards the second girl in front of me, who was striking as much because of her beauty as the scarring on her face. To my relief, both of them grinned at me warmly and didn’t seem to mind that I was here.

The movie was great, and I was glad we’d started off this way. It gave us something to talk about in the car ride to the club, where conversation was nearly impossible because of the music that was blasting so loud, the pictures on the walls were vibrating.

I felt so out of place.

But then Lydia and Kim linked their arms with mine and we followed Emily to the middle of the dance floor. I got so caught up in the fun of it all that I forgot to be nervous.

It had to be Lydia, I thought. She was goofing off, making up terrible dances- Toast the Bread, The Electric Eel, and the Apple Juicer being three of her better ideas. It was hard to feel self conscious around her.

No wonder Paul adored her.

And of course thoughts of Paul led to thoughts of Embry… What was he doing now? Was he thinking of me? If only.

By the time we left the club, we all were exhausted. I sat in the back seat with Kim and the two of us fought good-naturedly for room to sprawl out.

Emily, who was driving, blasted music to keep herself awake. Dancing takes a lot out of a girl, and we’d been there for hours.

Still, I managed to stay awake for the drive to Emily’s house. She got out and said goodbye while Lydia climbed into the driver’s seat. We all waved until Emily shut the front door behind her.

Lydia turned and looked at me and Kim with a question in her eyes. “Why don’t you both just spend the night at my house? That way we can all get some sleep sooner.”

I nodded sleepily and Kim grunted her assent.

During the short drive, I called my house and left a message for Dad telling him I was spending the night at a friend’s house. I might be eighteen, but he would still worry about me if I never came home from my outing with no explanation.

When we reached her house, I curled up on her couch and was asleep in what had to be record time.

I woke up to the delicious scent of pancakes. When I looked around, I was disoriented at first and almost panicked when I couldn’t figure out where I was before I remembered last night.

Pathetic as it might sound, it was hands-down the best night of my life so far. Just like the best day had been the one I spent cliff diving with Embry.

Washington seemed to be a good place for me.