Status: Finished!

She Used to Be a Pearl

Said I Was Pretty, And I Believed It

Saturday was still two days away and I had yet to learn the identity of the 'she' Amanda was talking about.

I was on my weekly grocery run trying to remember what we needed at the apartment. I silently cursed myself for not making a list. I walked through the store in search of the freezer section. When I finally reached it I went straight for the ice cream. I looked in each of the freezers in search of my favorite kind. I immediately stopped when I saw Oreo Explosion on the top shelf behind the door. I opened up and reached as high as I could, but no luck. I reached again and this time the tips of my finger grazed the bottom of the container.

"Need some help?" A voice asked from behind me. I turned to see where the voice was coming from. He was a tall man with black hair and very tanned skin. He had the second most gorgeous pair of eyes I had ever seen.

"Um, no thank you. I think I can get it." I told him dumbly.

Before I could reach again he pulled two cartons off the top shelf.

"Oops, I accidentally got two." He said sarcastically. Then he proceeded to place one in my cart. "You don't mind, do you?"

I smiled a real smile and shook my head.

"Thank you."

"No problem..." He asked searching for my name.

"Caty." I finished.

"Hey Caty. I'm Alex." He said holding his hand out for me to shake.

"Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you, too." He replied. "Would you like to maybe go get some coffee after you get done here?"

"This is going to sound like a total rejection, but I don't drink coffee." I told him.

"Ouch." He said holding a hand to his heart. "Ice cream then?"

"That sounds perfect, but I might have to stop home first and put the groceries away." I told him.

"Great, so do you want to meet at Dairy Queen around two?" He asked me.

"Sounds like a plan." I smiled.

"Okay, here's my number in case you need to call me to reach anything else." He said handing me a card.

I giggled and nodded before going on with my shopping.

After checking out I piled everything into the trunk of my car quickly and flew down the road.

I carried all the groceries up the stairs in one trip and slammed them down on the ground as I entered the apartment. Amanda was still at work so I put everything that would melt or get bad away before I scurried to get ready.

I fixed my make up and brushed my hair out. Then I scribbled a note to Amanda in case she got home early. Finally I slipped on some shoes and trotted out the door. I looked at the time 1:56. I knew I couldn't make it there in time so I pulled out the card he gave me.

Alexander Zadian
Detective
625-256-4119

Underneath the number I assumed was to his office he had handwritten another phone number. I dialed that one and waited for an answer.

"Hello?" His deep voice answered.

"Hi Alex. It's Caty from the grocery store." I told him. Oh god that sounded dumb.

"Hey, what's up?" He asked

"I was just letting you know that I'm leaving my place now so I might be a little late, sorry." I said.

"It's totally fine. I'll be here when you get here." He told me.

"Thanks. See you soon."

"Drive carefully. Bye."

Then I hung up and started the car. Eep! I have a date with an super cute detective! I wonder if John has moved on yet.

No! Get all thoughts of John away!

I mentally argued with myself until I pulled into a space at Dairy Queen. I walked inside and searched the tables until I saw a familiar head of black hair.

"Hi there." I greeted as I walked up to him.

"Hey, have a seat." He smiled.

I slid across from him in the booth. He handed me an icy cup so I opened it to see what was inside. It was a chocolate oreo blizzard. I smiled and looked up at him.

"I thought you would like that." He chuckled.

"Thank you." I laughed as I got into my purse to pay him back.

"Whoa, I asked you here. I'm paying." He stated.

"No, it's fine. It's only a few dollars." I shrugged as I got the money out.

"I won't take your money." He said as I laid it on the table.

"Okay. If you're sure." I sighed.

"The guys are supposed to pay on dates." He smiled. "Unless you don't want this to be a date-"

"No! I want this to be a date."

"Good." He chuckled. "When I first saw you I thought there was no way you were single."

A small smile found its way on my face as I looked down.

"You are single right?" He panicked.

"Yes. I, um, just got out of a relationship." I told him.

"Oh... I'm sorry-"

"No, no. It's fine." I assured him.

"Well I'd really like to get to know you better. You're really hot."

"Oh... Thank you."

I'd never been called hot before. It felt kind of weird. John had only called me things like pretty, beautiful, or gorgeous.

"So, you're a detective?"

He proceeded to talk to me about his work for the rest of the date. It was kind of gory but it was very exciting to hear all of his stories.

"I'm really sorry. My roommate's going to get home soon and I promised to make dinner tonight." I said as I looked at my phone.

"Oh, okay. Well have a good night."

I stood up and walked towards him with the intention of giving a hug, but instead he tried to give me a kiss. I awkwardly turned my head so he got my cheek. He looked a little taken aback by the action, but I wasn't going to kiss a guy that I had only known for three hours.

"Bye." I said walking out the door.

"I'll call you." He said as I left.

I let out a giggle as I got into my car. It was nice to feel wanted again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so I feel bad for the people who comment regularly because they comment every chapter and there are soo many other subscribers who haven't commented once. So, when I get a comment from 5 people who haven't commented before I'll update again. Keep in mind, that could be ten days or ten minutes.

Regular commenters: You are awesome, but you deserve a break. Unless you want to comment, then go right ahead:) haha

Subscribe and comment!!