What You Mean to Me

Frank

Frank.

"Okay princess, let's go."

I picked Lena up out of the car and carried her into the house and up to her bedroom with ease, gently setting her in the chair in front of her computer.

"Thanks Frank," she smiled. "I'm sorry that I'm being such a pain right now… and that I'm making you miss your… date."

"It's no problem," I assured her.

She looked like she was forcing another smile before she stood up and began to jump towards her bathroom.

"Where are you going?" I asked reaching out to grab her.

"Frank, I'm fine," she told me. "I need a shower. I'll be okay, I promise."

I looked at her warily for a moment before giving in, allowing her to bathe.

"Yell if you need me," I told her after I had escorted her to the bathroom.

"I will," she nodded before closing the door in my face.

I went back to her room, opening iTunes and playing a song by the first artist that I clicked on: The Smashing Pumpkins.

I leaned back in the chair closing my eyes, when my phone started vibrating. I flipped it open, glancing at the caller ID. "Yeah mom?"

"Frank, where are you?" She asked in that motherly worried tone of hers.
"I'm at Lena's," I told her. "She fell on her ankle the wrong was at practice, so I'm gonna stay here tonight to make sure she's okay, and if she needs anything, since she's not supposed to walk on it."

"Oh, poor dear," my mom gasped. "Well, you just make sure that our Lena is okay, and that she heals up to better than before."

"I will mom," I promised with a smile. "I wouldn't let anything happen to my best friend."

"Is that really all she is to you?"

"W-what?" I wasn't sure if I had heard her correctly.

"That Nora girl has been calling all night," she said. "I'm about ready to change this number. She keeps asking where you are, demanding to know where you are this instant… Frank, I do not like this girl. She acts as if she owns you."

"Yeah, I know mom," I sighed rubbing my face. "She's just…" I let my voice trail of to nothing, not sure what to say about my 'girlfriend'. "Complicated," I finally said. "She… I think she feels threatened by Lena being my best friend."

"Lena should be more than that."

"What?" I asked again.

"Frank, break up with this Nora girl. She is much too clingy for you… now, I'm going to unplug this phone so I can get some sleep. So if you call, I won't be answering. If you need me, just run across the street."

"Okay mom, I will," I said.

"Good. Now take care of our Lena."

"Okay mom, I will." I repeated.

"Okay sweetie. Send my love to Lena."

"Okay mom, I will."

"Goodnight; I love you."

"Love you too, mom," I said and hung up.

My mom was always the type to call and keep tabs on me, to make sure I was okay. And it was like her to make sure Lena was okay too. I swear, my mom thought of Lena as a daughter, and cared about her wellbeing just as much as she cared about mine.

But did she know about how I felt for Lena? Could she possibly know my deepest, darkest secret, that I was in love with my best friend?

No way, she couldn't have.

I was so lost in my own thoughts that I didn't even hear the water from the shower cut off, only realizing that Lena was finished bathing when she was leaning against the door frame with only a towel around her body.

I stared at her, completely frozen, unable to look away from her. I watched as the droplets of water rolled down her body, the way her wet hair hung around her face… she looked even more beautiful, if that was even possible.

"Um Frank?" I looked at me quizzically.

"Uh…" I quickly snapped out of my trance-like state, looking away. "Yeah, sorry. I didn't hear you getting out… sorry. I'll just wait outside your door."

I nodded, quickly jumping up and practically running out, closing the door behind me hurriedly.

Wow, I'm retarded.

After about five minutes, Lena hopped out of her room wearing soffees and a shirt, holding onto the wall for support. I quickly went to her, picking her up again, and carrying her downstairs to the kitchen.

"You must be hungry," I said setting her on the counter and grabbing some ice for her ankle.

She nodded.

"What do you want?"

"I'll fix something for us," she said hopping off the counter.

"No, Lena, you aren't supposed to walk," I said grabbing her.

"But Frank, you can't cook to save your life," she protested. "And honestly, I'm fine. I'll make us something to eat, and--""

"Lena, no!"

I held her tighter, and only then did I realize how close we were. Our bodies were against one another, my arms around her waist, she was holding onto my shoulders, and our mouths were no more than two inches apart. Lena bit down on her lip, looking as if she didn't know what to do.

"Lena," I whispered her name, pressing my forehead to hers.

Her eyes slid closed and I could feel her breath on my lips as our noses brushed against one another. I wanted to kiss her. I wanted to kiss her more than anything in this entire world.
There was a fire burning inside of me, one that burned only for her, and I could feel it getting higher within me with every passing second that I was close to her.

"Frank…"

Lena's voice was breathless, and she held onto me tighter, pulling me closer, her body trembling ever so slightly. Her hands moved from my shoulders to around me, her fingers getting tangled in my hair at the nape of my neck.

Our lips were about to touch when her phone started ringing. She opened her eyes, leaning back, and looking away from me before reaching for the phone and answering it.

I swallowed hard stepping away from her, leaning against the opposite counter. Just as quickly as that fire had ignited, it died away, leaving me feeling hollow.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine," Lena said into the phone. " Yes, Frank is here taking good care of me… I will… Okay, bye mami."

She hung up the phone and looked at me almost shyly. "Um… what do you wanna eat?" She asked awkwardly.

"It doesn't matter," I answered quietly. "Just as long as you don't hurt your ankle anymore than you already did because you're so damn klutzy."

"I am not klutzy!" she reached over and smacked my arm, laughing.

I smiled.

Good, there wasn't going to be any kind of awkwardness because of what just happened… or what might have happened if her phone hadn't rang.

Lena made us a great dinner of Chinese vegetables and noodles that I even helped her out with. Okay, I strained the noodles, but hey, it's still something. She's an amazing cook, just like her mom.

We ate together and did the dishes before heading back to her room to watch movies. It was after two and we were watching Grease starring John Travolta, one of her favorite movies.

"I seriously don't know what happened to John Travolta," she yawned. "He used to be so hot... Now he looks so damn bad."

"You think he looks hot in this movie?" I asked feeling a little jealous.

She nodded, resting her head on my chest, cuddling into me. "Yeah… I think Italian guys are hot."

"Do you think I'm hot?" I asked, then immediately regretted asking.

She nodded again. "Yeah Frank… you are hot…" she murmured.

"You're hot too," I said, not feeling as jealous. "You going to bed?"

"Mmhmmm."
"Okay."I turned off the TV, laying down completely, pulling the blanket around us. "Goodnight Lena," I whispered hugging her tighter.

"Night Frank…"
♠ ♠ ♠
thanks to 'Neche' for commenting...

if you guys want more of the story, send some feedback my way... hope you all enjoyed this one.