Status: Complete

You're My Medication

Party.

Another night, meaning another night of babysitting him. I don’t see why he can't just go to these places by himself, but no it’s seems like he has to pull me into all of his schemes. He can't do anything without me now or else he ends up getting too cocky and losing it.

My simple black dress fell down to my knees and I was wearing matching black heels that made my 5”2’ height look taller. A girl can try…

I looked around for him again; he’s always one for big entrances. Who’s party was this again? Oh wait, it’s Bruce Wayne’s fundraiser he’s throwing for Harvey Dent, Gotham’s new DA. I took yet another sip of my champagne and wished the evening would go by quicker.

BANG

Finally! God, I was about to die of boredom. J casually stalked around the rich pricks asking where Harvey was. He pulled out his signature pocket knife and held it to an old man’s neck. When will people learn not to mess with him?

Jeez, now I need to get involved and stop him from killing the man. I took a step forward, but stopped quickly when I heard Rachel Dawes speak.

“Ok, stop,” J slowly pulled away from the old man and my eyes followed him closely and watched his body language as he stalked over to Rachel. My chest jerked, but I held back. I didn’t like him being around other girls. Call me jealous, but I don’t care. He was mine…not really. There’s nothing between J and I, but we are very close.

I almost groaned out loud when he began to tell Rachel his fake wife story. He was never even married. He got his scars in high school and then it was a few years later when he took on his Joker persona.

I watched Rachel punch J and that made me feel better. J doesn’t like it when people don’t listen to him.

“A little fight in ya; I like that,” J said licking his lips from habit. Batman came up behind him and I bit my tongue to keep from calling out to J and warning him that the giant bat was about to hit him.

“Then you’ll love me!” and yet another fight… The goons as I call them, had Batman thrown down and J flicked a knife out of his shoe. Now, I really did need to step in. If he killed Batman now, he would be upset later. J is much nicer when he isn’t upset.

He stood a few feet in front of me so I quietly walked up behind him and placed a hand on his shoulder. I felt J tense and freeze under the warmth of my hand.

“Calm down, don’t kill him,” I whispered and stepped back into the crowd. J relaxed and nodded before going back over to Rachel. No one seemed to notice that I just talked to J. They were all too worried about their precious Batman being pinned to the tile floor.

Just another night. Another night of watching over my best friend.

“Very poor choice of words,” J’s voice and laughter brought me back from my thoughts and I watched Rachel fall out the window. The bitch deserved it. Everyone could see that she still likes Bruce, but stays with Harvey and leads him on. Where were those two anyway?

People were screaming now that Batman was out the window and not there to save them. I sighed and looked around for J, but he must have already made his getaway. He hated sirens and I could already hear them in the distance. Now it’s time for me to leave too. It’s a sad thing. I've gotten used to helping J so much that I can't see my life without him in it.

I walked out of the building and saw the black van speeding towards me. It stopped right in front of me and the back door opened. I jumped in and sat down next to Ruff. He had a beard and J said it reminded him of a dog therefore he got the name Ruff.

"How was the party?” he asked me. I shrugged and slipped my heels off. My feet were starting to kill me. I gently rubbed them to stop the dull ache in the arch and heel.

“Same as always; having to drink and wear a dress. Not to mention listening to stuck up people brag about their money. Nothing new…” Ruff chuckled and then I saw J. He was staring at me intently. Now what was it? Just because I’m his best friend doesn’t mean I get off easily. Even with me around, he loses himself sometimes. On those occasions, I end up in the hospital. It’s happened four or five times and each time I told the doctors that I got mugged. They know me by name and say I should invest in pepper spray because I get mugged too much.

“How was your evening?” I asked him. He moved for the first time and laughed. His signature smile graced his lips and he did a little bow.

“I’ve learned of Batman’s weakness. When we get home, Hulk, I need you to look up everything on Rachel Dawes.” Hulk is a very big man, muscular, but he is a genius with computers and such. He’s the smartest besides J, but you would never be able to tell. He had BIG muscles.

The van stopped in front of my apartment building and I got out and waved goodbye to Skid who was driving. He liked to “Skid” and swerve on the roads. Isn’t J so creative when he names the goons?

I walked to the elevator and pushed the button five. The dingy music played and I shifted my weight from foot to foot. I don’t like being in enclosed spaces like this. It makes me feel like I can't breathe. When the doors opened again, I sucked in a deep breath and walked to my door, 505. I unlocked and opened the door.

“Welcome home.” I closed the door and turned to face J. It makes no sense to me why he comes to my apartment at the same time I do and breaks in. I'm always calling maintenance to come fix my locks because he breaks them when he comes in.

“Hi,” I said and walked into my bedroom. J followed like a little kid and sat down on my bed while I picked out clothes to change into to sleep in.

“So what’s the plan?” I asked and picked up my black sophie shorts and purple camisole. J looked away while I changed and laughed at my question. I pulled on my shorts and felt my scarred skin on the inside of my right thigh. I shook the thoughts away and kept dressing.

“Silly Nikki, you know I'm not a planner,” he turned back to face me again once I was dressed.

“But if I was a planner, then the next step would be to use Rachel against Batsy.” I smiled again and sat down next to him on my bed.

“Where does that leave me in all of this?” I asked. J pulled back my comforter and sheets so I could get under them. He saw the scars on my thigh and smiled slightly before covering me up. Once I was comfortable, J rested a gloved hand on my cheek. I feel lucky at times like these. No one else can see this side of J, the soft side. This was the old J, and my best friend.

“You just need to worry about making sure I don’t get myself killed,” he laughed and walked to my window. I watched him leave just like he did every night. Everything is going according to plan, but I just didn’t know that everything was about to change and it wasn’t for the better…
♠ ♠ ♠
Tell me what you think. The first few chapters are going to be a little shorter, but it gets better. I'm revising this story from my old Quizilla account because I really like it haha(:
COMMENTS!