Status: Complete

You're My Medication

Jack.

The drive to Bruce’s didn’t take too long, but the look on Alfred’s face was priceless. He opened the door right after I knocked and I swear his jaw almost hit the floor.

“Do I need to call Gordan?” he asked in his usual British accent.

“No, Bruce has been wanting to talk to me. He showed up at my apartment in his costume and everything,” I said with a small smile. Alfred’s eyes widened before he opened the door for me to come in.

“Wait in the living room while I go get Master Wayne.” I went into the familiar living room and sat down on one of Bruce’s white couches. He was in the room in less than 2 minutes.

“You're fast bat boy,” I commented and leaned back into the cushions. Bruce ignored the comment and sat down next to me.

“Alfred said you wanted to talk. What’s going on?” he asked stifling a yawn.

“J has The Catwoman over and I don’t like her so I decided to come here to avoid her,” I replied.

“And you said you needed to talk to me about J so here I am. Ask away and I’ll answer what I can and want to,” I said softly sitting forward. Bruce looked surprised, but he wasn’t going to waste the offer.

“You told me that The Joker even hurts you sometimes, but I’ve seen how protective he is of you. Is he actually crazy?” he sure doesn’t waste time…

“J’s not crazy… He’s been through a lot of shit, but he’s sane if that what you're asking,” I answered. Now Bruce looked confused.

“So he puts on a show?” he asked slowly.

“Basically. When we were younger, J created The Joker persona to “protect me” as he puts it. It’s not a split personality, but just a good act. Sometimes he gets so into the role that he forgets himself. He’s been playing the Joker act for years…

“It feels like he slowly changing into The Joker now. I’m seeing less and less of the old J before he made up The Joker. He started acting as The Joker more when I was taken in Hampton and it’s gotten even worse since the Gordan incidence. I'm all he truly has and I guess he might actually go crazy if he lost me...

“I’m just waiting for the day when he won’t stop acting… He’s slowly changing himself to really become The Joker,” I explained softly.

“I think I understand… So how did he get his scars?”

“Bruce, you know I won’t tell you that,” I whispered. He shrugged his shoulders.

“I still want to know. Next question, do you know what he’s planning now with The Catwoman?” he asked.

“All I know is that there is a man in Gotham looking for me and J and The cat offered her help to us. I haven’t really wanted to stay around her long enough to hear any of the plans…” Bruce nodded and paused to think.

“You know Bruce, curiosity killed the cat.”

“Yeah, but satisfaction brought it back,” he retorted. I couldn’t hold back my smile.

“Touché.”

“Now, who is after you two?”

“I’m not going to answer that one, but he did team up with Maroni. Oh and look out for Two Face. J sent him after you and Maroni. He totaled Maroni’s car, but he managed to survive. Be careful,” I warned him.

“Noted. Thanks…”

“Yeah, uh I should get going. J is expecting me back soon,” I said and went to stand.

“Nicole, I know you say he’s sane, but even mentally stable men can snap randomly. Watch your back,” he pleaded. I smiled a little.

“You worry too much Bruce. I’ll be fine. You be careful and I’ll do the same. Have a good night,” I said and walked to the door. I waved a small wave goodbye and left. Those answers should keep him satisfied for a while. And what I told him was the truth so he should be happy.

I got back into my car and drove around for a bit to make sure I wasn’t being followed before I headed back to J’s hideout.

When I walked back inside, a lot of the men had gone to sleep, but Ruff, The cat and J were still up.

“I’m back,” I called closing the door behind me. J jumped up and pulled me over to the couch happily and made me sit down next to him.

“Nikki, take a look at this!” he pointed to a blue print. I studied it before looking at him confused.

“Okay, it’s the layout for a warehouse. What’s so special about it?” I asked.

“This is the warehouse that the next mob meeting is behind held at. We are going to crash the party and find out where George is hiding,” he said gleaming at the blue paper.

“That’s great J. I’m tired so I’m gonna head to bed,” I said softly. My talk with Bruce wore me down. I really want J to stop the whole Joker act and just be Jack again…

J seemed to sober at my reply. He looked at me concerned, but hit it before Ruff and The cat saw him. He ended up following me into the room we were sharing. I sat down on the bed and waited for him to shut the door.

“Nikki, what’s wrong?” he asked. I laid down and shook my head.

“I’m just tired…” I mumbled.

“Tired like sleepy or tired of something else?” he asked taking a seat on the edge of the bed.

“I’m tired of all of this, Jack. I don’t want to deal with The mob, and Batman and George. I want things to go back to how they used to be…” I trailed off and wouldn’t look at him.

“Nikki, you and I both know that can't happen right now. George is hot on our trail and we need to use the mob to get rid of him,” he chuckled trying to make light of our conversation. I sat up angrily and looked him straight in the eyes.

“It’s more than that Jack. I’m tired of The Joker… I want my Jack back. I don’t want to keep running from the cops for the rest of our lives and finding temporary hideouts to stay in for a few months,” I said holding out my arms to indicate the house we were in.

“Nicole—“

“Don’t Nicole me, Jack. You’ve always known how I feel about this. And you know that you don’t want to be Jack anymore. That’s why you're always playing as J now…” I said the last part softly and laid back down.

“Come on, Nikki—“

“I want to be alone, J,” I replied not calling him Jack anymore, “Go back out there and start making your little schemes again. I just want to go to bed right now.”

“Fine! Sulk all you want, but nothing is changing right now! Jack is gone Nikki! I’m The Joker now and that’s the way it’s going to stay!” he slammed the door shut behind him and I laid on my side trying to hold back my tears.

I love him, I really do, and I’ve given him everything, but reality is finally setting in. All those talks with Bruce have taken a toll on me… I just want Jack back. No more running or hiding or blowing things up…

Is it too much to ask to have a normal life? I guess it is…

PLEASE READ THE A/N BELOW (: VVV
♠ ♠ ♠
He's NOT crazy... I'm not a good explainer, sorry... But don't give up on this story just yet. The climax is coming and I like what's going to happen :D