Status: Complete

You're My Medication

Fake.

By the time I woke up, J was long gone along with Jack which was weird. He’s usually here when I wake up after one of his beatings, but yesterday wasn’t really as bad as the others.

I got out of bed and took a long, hot shower to sooth my body. I made sure the water was hot enough that the steam fogged up my mirror. When I got out, I wrapped a towel around myself and went to check my appearance in the mirror, but saw a message from J instead. He never changes.

Important business today, stay here

Important business my butt. Something was up and he obviously wasn’t planning on telling me what it was.

I got dressed quickly in skinny jeans and a Rise Against band tee. I let my brown hair dry naturally wavy and pulled my bangs back into a bump. It was then that I saw the dark bruises on my neck. I tsked and put on enough cover up that they weren’t noticeable.

I walked into my empty living room. Normally one of the guys would be here to watch me and make sure nothing happened while J had ‘important business’, but I didn’t see any of the goons anywhere. That only made me worry more.

I ran to the window and looked out, but the normally bustling streets were dead and lifeless. What the hell is going on? Am I missing out on something? I ran back into the living room and put my TV on the news.

“But the night is darkest just before the dawn,” Harvey was holding a press conference? What for?

“And I promise you, the dawn is coming—“ was J there? No, he’s not that crazy, but then again… No! I watched the cops cheer for no more dead cops. Harvey got more edgy and jumpy. What is he planning on doing?

“So be it. Take Batman into custody………..I am the Batman,” I dropped the remote and watched Harvey get arrested. This is way too easy, but I know J is going to do something about this. He would never let the police take Batman away from him. Besides, Harvey can't be Batman. Batman doesn’t have a stupid butt shaped chin like Harvey does! J is setting himself up for a trap!

“Oh God! What am I supposed to do?!” I asked myself as I paced the floor. I can't just let J dive headfirst into a fire. I stopped pacing. I have to go to him. I have to go to his warehouse and convince him not to go. But will he even listen to me? Probably not, but I still have to try.

“KEYS! Where the hell are my keys?!” I yelled at myself as I scrambled around my apartment looking for them. I saw them on the kitchen counter and grabbed them. I ran out the door and down the stairs to the parking lot where my black Lexus was parked.

I yanked the car door open and got in not wasting any time. J would be moving soon if he saw the conference, which I bet he did. I floored the gas and sped onto the highway.

Where was his warehouse? I've only been there a few times because it’s usually J who comes to me and not the other way around. They're always at my place if they have something to talk about.

I sighed and tried to remember what exit Skid takes off the highway. I scanned the numbers until my eyes landed on Exit 64. That’s it! I got off the highway and gunned it down the empty street. I looked for any sign of a warehouse J would stay in. As soon as I saw the one closest to the bay, I knew it was that one.

“Bingo,” I sang and parked my car around back. I ran to the door and pounded my fist against it in panic.

“RUFF! HULK! Open the door!” I yelled and kept hitting the thick metal door until Ruff finally opened it. I glared at him and brushed past him.

“Where is he?” I asked getting to the point. Ruff pointed to the stairs so I ran up them and to his room. I went in without knocking and saw him picking out guns. He looked at me with a shocked expression before replacing it with a smile.

“Nikki, what're you doing here? I thought I told you to stay home,” he grinned and shut the door so we could speak in private.

“J, you can't do this. You and I both know Harvey isn’t Batman. It’s a trap and they're going to get you!” I yelled the last part. J’s smile fell and he pulled me towards him.

“You need to smile more, Nikki,” he said as he hugged me.

“Don’t say that. It brings back bad memories,” I grumbled, but still relaxed in his arms. I grabbed his honeycomb pattern shirt and fisted it in my hands. I don’t want him to risk his life or freedom over a fake. I don’t want him to risk his life period. I just want him to be with me again. I finally let go of his shirt and hugged him back.

“You’re still going?” I asked losing hope.

“Yep,” he made a popping sound with the p.

“Don’t let them take you away from me,” I whispered, but I knew that he could hear me loud and clear. He has like ultra super hearing. J pulled me closer and I looked up at him.

“They can't take me away from you,” he whispered back. His voice was less whiney and I smiled. J leaned down slowly and pressed his lips against mine. I blushed, but kissed him back. After all these years I've been with him, not once have we been intimate.

What am I talking about? We’re not even together. We’re just friends…right? But what kind of friends just kiss each other like we are? He pulled back and hugged me again. I could feel J coming back and pushing his Jack side into the darkness.

“I need you to stay here with Dot. He’s new and in charge of the house when I'm not here. Just wait for me to come back,” he said. I pulled away and nodded. J went back to his guns, but I knew what he meant. He wasn’t planning on coming back here anytime soon…

“Hey Ruff,” I said walking back down stairs. All the guys were sitting on the couch so I sat down next to him and leaned on him. I guess I'm closer to Ruff than I am to the rest of the goons.

“Where’s Dot?” I asked. He pointed to a guy sitting in an armchair. Dot waved. He had a giant birth mark on his left cheek… Dot makes sense.

“Looks like we get to hang out while J and the guys are gone,” I said. Dot smiled and nodded before turning back to watching TV. He seems nice enough. I looked at the TV and saw Harvey being put into an armored and bullet proof SWAT van. J has to be good at his job…

“Time to go boys!” I heard J yell behind us. I turned and we made eye contact. He smiled at me before he turned to leave. I jumped up and ran over to him, grabbing him by his arm sleeve.

“Please don’t do anything stupid,” I whispered in his ear. He nodded and left with the goons. I sat down again with Dot and watched the news. All I could hope for was that J kept his word and came back as soon as possible. But I highly doubt that is the case…
♠ ♠ ♠
Long time so see. I'm posting another chapter for this one in a few minutes(:

Also, read my author's note for You Ought to Smile More. It's one of the chapters for the story(: