From The Earth To The Morgue

New Acquaintances

We hold in our hearts the sword and the faith...

Kai walked down the street. She didn't know where she was going, and she didn't know what she was going to do when she got there. She felt so stupid, coming out here with only twenty-five dollars. She shook her head and pulled her jacket tighter around her. The Jersey nights were cold.

She walked until she saw a sign for a gas station/restaurant. She shrugged and let herself in, sighing at the warm blast of air. She sat at a booth and turned sideways, propping her feet on the bench next to her.

What the fuck did she think she was doing? Walking around in Jersey, fucking Jersey, of all places, in the middle of the night with nowhere to go and no one to go to. She shook her head and lowered the hood of her jacket, letting her dark brown hair cascade down her shoulders. She glanced out the window to see that it was snowing.

"Great," she murmured, slumping down in her seat.

A waitress with a kind smile walked up to her, paper in hand. She looked nice, with big curly red hair and matching lipstick. Kai half-smiled at her as she made her way to the girl.

"What can I get for you, honey?" she said in a raspy voice. Kai smiled and shook her head.

"I don't have any money, I'm sorry," Kai replied, shaking her head. The waitress clucked her tongue, still smiling.

"Well you just stay here and warm up, it's chilly outside, honey."

"Thank you," Kai said, and the waitress smiled, walking away. A guy sitting in the next booth turned to her.

"Do you want something? I'll pay for it." His looks immediately caught her attention: a black mohawk and hazel eyes. He was cute. She smiled at him.

"No, it's okay, really." He smiled back.

"Seriously, I'll pay. Miss?" he called the waitress over.

"Yes, what can I get you?" she said.

"I'd like to buy this woman a coffee," He turned to Kai, "Do you like coffee?"

"Yes, but-"

"Two coffees, please... Tawny," he said, reading the waitress's nametag. Tawny smiled and walked off to fill their order. Kai shook her head, still smiling.

"You don't have to do this. I'm fine, really," she said. He shook his head, folding his newspaper and sliding into the seat across from her.

"A woman like you wandering the Jersey streets at night?"

"A woman like me?" she asked, raising her eyebrows. He laughed slightly.

"I meant a beautiful woman." She blushed, looking away from him.

"At least let me pay you back-"

"No, it's okay. It's a birthday present." She grinned at him.

"What's your name?" she asked. His hazel eyes twinkled.

"Frank. Frank Anthony Iero. And you?" She paused. Should she tell some random stranger her name? He could find her... But he had told her his full name...

The hell with it.

"Kai Remy Raphaela Brennan." His eyebrows shot up.

"That's a mouthful." She laughed.

"Yeah, I know. Took me forever to learn." He nodded, a smile twitching at his mouth. This guy was adorable.

They were interrupted as Tawny walked back over to their table, placing the two coffees down, along with the cream and sugar.

"Call me if you need anything," she said, winking at Frank as she gave him the check.

Kai poured cream and sugar into her drink, making it turn an opaque beige color. She blew on the steaming liquid and took a sip. Frank watched her, a smile playing on his lips. Kai put her mug down, instead warming her hands on it.

"So why are you roaming the streets of Jersey this late?" he asked. She shrugged, staring down at the mug between her palms.

"I had to get away." He nodded and looked out the window, a distant look in his eyes.

"I know what you mean." There was a brief pause between the two.

"So do you have a place to stay?" he asked suddenly, his hazel eyes snapping back to her green ones. She shook her head, gazing out at the December snow. She heard him sigh faintly.

"You're gonna think I'm a pervert for saying this, but would you want to crash at my place?" Her gaze flicked back to him, and she arched her eyebrow.

"I don't know..." She said cautiously. She was comfortable with him, but he might still be dangerous.

"I promise to keep all the doors and windows unlocked-"

"So someone else can rape me?" He laughed.

"Don't worry, I'll protect you." She laughed.

"I don't know..." He thought for a moment.

"I'll give you a baseball bat," he offered, and she smiled.

"Okay." Frank grinned.

Their conversation continued for a few more hours, and Kai felt more and more comfortable with him. He was sweet, cute, and really genuine. They talked and laughed until Tawny interrupted them, saying it was past closing time. They thanked her, and Frank left the money on the table.

They made their way to his car, a black thing, Kai wasn't good at identifying cars. He opened the door for her, and, still laughing and talking, they made their way to Frank's house, a fairly large house on the outskirts of town.

It was a cute house, white with green shutters. It was old, too. The paint was chipping, but it only gave it a more interesting look. Kai shivered as they stood on the porch, Frank looking for the right key. Finally he found it, and they went inside.

"Sorry for the mess," he said, blushing slightly. She didn't know what he was talking about; his house was almost perfect, besides a table covered in papers. His house was beautiful.

"Um... The guest room is this way," he murmured, stuttering slightly. She smiled at how nervous he became. He led her upstairs and into a room with black walls. "You can stay here... The bathroom is down the hall, last door on the left. My room is at the other end of the hall, if you need me." He went to leave, but Kai stopped him, lightly gripping his arm. He turned around, surprised.

"Where's the baseball bat you promised?" He laughed and walked down the hall, returning moments later with the object in question. He handed it to her, a smile still lingering on his lips.

"Here you go. Sweet dreams," he said, turning to leave.

"Frank?" she said softly. He turned again.

"Thank you," she said. He smiled and reached out, almost caressing her shoulder.

"No problem." Kai smiled at him.

"Good night, Frank."

"Good night, Kai."