From The Earth To The Morgue

The Jump

And after all, we'll lie another day...

"So... I can se we're not getting any sleep tonight..." Kai murmured, laughing slightly. Frank grinned and threw a marshmallow at her. She gasped and threw a handful of Lucky Charms back at him. Soon they were throwing cereal all over the place, laughing hysterically. Frank shoved a handful down the back of her shirt, and Kai shrieked. She ran into the kitchen and, grabbing the first thing she could find, sprayed whipped cream at Frank.

He laughed and got the chocolate sauce.

She screamed and ran, hearing his footsteps behind her. She turned, her feet slipping on the wood floor, and fell, tripping Frank as well. He collapsed on top of her, both of them breathing heavily.

Suddenly she was aware of how close they were. His hazel eyes burned into her own green ones. She was afraid to breathe.

His lips crashed into hers, making her mind spin and her stomach flip. She wrapped her arms around him, bewildered and excited at the same time.

He lifted both of them off the ground, placing her on his lap, never breaking the kiss. His tongue begged for entrance into her mouth, and she gladly obliged.

Slowly they pulled away, both sufficiently breathless. They stared into each other's eyes.

They didn't say anything for a while, just looking at each other. A smile flickered across his lips, and she grinned back at him.

***

The next morning, Kai woke up on the couch, still covered in whipped cream and chocolate syrup. She shifted and felt an arm wrapped around her waist. She grinned, remembering the events of the previous night. She heard Frank sigh, shifting in his sleep.

What was she doing? He'd just use her... Just like Andy. Just like everyone. She couldn't fall for Frank.

She buried her face in the couch cushion. Why did this always happen?

Cool lips brushed against her neck, making her smile in spite of herself. Maybe Frank would be different.

"Mmm, good morning." His voice rumbled in his chest, making her giggle. She turned to face him to see him grinning back at her.

"Good morning." He closed his eyes again and pulled her closer. Kai smiled, resting her head against his chest.

"You sleep well?" he asked. She nodded, breathing in a mixture of chocolate, whipped cream, and Frank's unique smell. She giggled, licking some off her top lip.

"We made a mess," she said in a childish voice. He chuckled.

"Yes we did..." She sighed, struggling with herself. Frank seemed different from Andy, from Carlisle. She wanted so badly to put her heart on the line, to jump in without worry... But her memories and the rational part of herself screamed for her to leave, now.

"Oh, Andy!" an unfamiliar woman's voice called. Kai froze in the front doorway, dropping her keys on the decorative table. She walked slowly to the bedroom she shared with Andy, afraid of what she would see. She opened the door slowly, still clutching a bag of groceries, and froze.

It was exactly what she had expected, Andy in Kai's bed with Chloe, Kai's sister.

The memory itself made her body rigid, trying desperately to keep from crying. No. She would never let that happen again. Frank pulled her back and stared into her deep green eyes. She sat up quickly, startling him as she rushed to get her jacket on. He followed quickly, lightly gripping her arm.

"What's wrong? Where are you going?" he asked, concern in his beautiful hazel eyes. She shook her head.

"I can't do this." She struggled to get out of his grip, but he tightened his hold around her upper arm.

"What? What's wrong? Kai?" Tears brimmed in her eyes, and she brushed them away with the back of her hand. Frank gripped her other arm and turned her to face him.

"I have to go," she whispered, refusing to look into his eyes.

"Why?" His voice was soft, begging. Her eyes flickered to his face and refused to move back to the floor. She instantly regretted looking up.