Damned.

2 - Jakob

“Those bastards forgot to fix the damn radio!” Jakob screamed. He didn’t know what was going on in the air around him or on the ground. He couldn’t get messages to or from his commanders. He slammed his hand against the steering wheel in frustration.

He looked around him, trying his best to see everything around him. He couldn’t see the ground, and that was the biggest problem. He didn’t know what was happening on the ground. He started to panic, but he forced himself to calm down. He would never get anything done if he freaked out now.

Something hit the bottom of his plane, and he swore. He had been spotted, and now they were firing at him. He didn’t know where they were, but he tried to use escape maneuvers to get away. He angled the plane, flying it higher up when something else hit him: a missile this time.

He felt the plane’s engine give way and swore loudly. He grabbed a parachute and put it on his back. He opened the plane and jumped out, pulling the parachute at just the right time.

He floated back down, using the wind to avoid the bullets flying at him from the ground as his plane burst into flames above him.
He landed on the ground, threw his parachute off and took off running for cover. He heard people chasing him and ran faster. He heard shots being fired at him and fell to the ground, rolling down a hill and hiding in the brush.

He tried to quiet his breathing as best as he could. People were looking for him carefully.
He didn’t dare move, lest he be caught. He tried to calm his racing heart as they moved closer to his hiding spot. Someone shouted. He had been seen. He jumped up and ran. Shouts rose behind him as gunfire erupted around him. He felt a bullet graze his left arm. Wincing, he kept running. A bullet hit his left leg. He screamed—

And he woke up, still screaming. He was shaking, covered in a cold sweat, screaming. He buried his face in the pillow, trying to stop screaming. When the screams ended, he started to sob. His body trembled and shook with his sobs. A hand touched his shoulder lightly.

“Jakob, it’s all right now. It’s over,” his wife, Julia, said to him softly rubbing his back soothingly. “It’s okay now. It’s okay now.” She held him while he cried like a baby into her shoulder.

“It’s always the same dream, Julia. Always the same dream. I wish it would end!” he cried. “I wish it would end.”

“Honey, I think I might have an answer. I’m not sure you’ll like it, but I think it will help,” Julia said hesitantly. He stared at her, tears streaming down his face. “Honey, I think you have post-traumatic stress. I think you should go talk to someone.”

“Talk to someone? Like a psychiatrist?” he asked. Julia nodded. “Do you really think it will help?”

“We can at least get you a diagnosis,” she said pleadingly. He nodded after a long pause.

“All right. We’ll go in the morning,” he said. She gave him a tight hug and rolled over to fall asleep. He spend the night staring at the ceiling, not wanting to fall back asleep.
The next morning, Julia woke up to find him gone. He usually went running in the morning to clear his head and forget the nightmares. He got back around seven thirty. He placed a small kiss on her cheek.

“I have the appointment set up for nine thirty today,” she said. He didn’t say anything. “Are you mad?” she asked softly.

“I’m not mad. I could never be mad at you,” he said softly. “I’m just anxious, I guess.” She gave him a big hug, and they ate breakfast.

---

“Well, I’m confident enough to say that your wife was correct, Mr. Neilson. You have post-traumatic stress disorder,” the doctor said after the appointment. “I know of a great place you can go to for it, though. It’s called Ashworth Hospital. They take care of many patients like you, who—“ Jakob couldn’t hear the rest of what the doctor said. He only heard the sound of his plane exploding, the sound of the guns firing, his scream of pain.

“Jakob?” Julia said, shaking his arm gently. He jumped, turning to face her.

“It’s part of the disorder. I’m guessing he was having flashbacks,” the doctor said understandingly. “It’s quite all right. I was just saying they deal with a lot of people who have illnesses like you. You’ll be all right there.” Jakob forced a nod.

“Thank you,” he said softly. The doctor nodded, and he and Julia left. They got in the car and drove home.

---

“Jakob, are you ready to leave?” Julia asked, pushing the door to the bedroom open slightly. Jakob looked up from his packing, nodding.

“Just give me a minute,” he said. She nodded and closed the door softly. He finished putting things in his suitcase and left the room. They got in the car and drove to the hospital.

Almost three hours later, the building came into view. It was old looking and run down. Jakob didn’t like the look of the place, but he guessed he’d have to get used to it.

“I guess we’re here,” Julia said. He nodded. They got out of the car, pulling his bag from the back, and walked inside.

“Good morning, how can I help you?” the man behind the desk asked.

“We’re here to admit my husband, Jakob Neilson,” Julia said softly. “We’ve already filled out the paperwork.” The man smiled sympathetically.

“It must be difficult, but we’ll take very good care of Jakob, Mrs. Neilson,” he said. “I guess it’s time to say your goodbyes for now.” Jakob hugged Julia tightly.

“It’ll go by a lot faster than we think it will. I’ll be home in no time,” he said softly. They kissed softly before Jakob was escorted down the hall by two men wearing white coats. He turned and waved to her before rounding the corner and disappearing from sight.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's my chapter. Enjoy!