The Swimmer

1/1

I'd always loved the ocean.

The feel of the cool breeze against my face, the sound of the waves crashing against the rocks, the smell of the salt in the beautiful blue ocean.

It made me calm.

I loved watching the waves as they moved back and forth. But the thing that I loved more than watching the water, was being in the water.

The feeling of being surrounded, comforted by the gentle rolling of the waves, being submersed head to toe in the refreshing cool water.

It's exhilarating.

I'd been in water since I was three. I'd always loved watching the beautiful blue water, I'd finally gathered up my courage to ask my dad to help me go into the pool in our backyard. He'd helped me put on my floaties, and held me in the water. I loved splashing in the water, watching the drops fly everywhere. Eventually of course, I learned how to swim, and after that...well it was like I spent more time IN the water than OUT.

My parents always told me I could go to the Olympics, but that was just a dream. I was just in it for the fun, for how it made me feel.

It made me happy.

And when my parents died in a car accident when I was thirteen, I made a promise to myself that I would train as hard as I possibly could, so that I could fulfill their dream for me. So that I could make them proud.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I walked along the beach, wearing this. It was fairly early, so the beach was empty.

I set down my things in my usual spot. Near the rocks towards the end of the beach. I stretched so that I wouldn't cramp up whilst swimming.

Yea, that'd be a sight wouldn't it? My aunt has a good sized swimming pool in her backyard, but I prefer the salt to the chlorine.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, I've been living with my aunt since my parents died. She's a good person, and supports my dreams of being in the Olympics. She tries to help however she can. She's a doctor, so I hardly see her between my training and her shifts at the local hospital she works at.

I finished stretching and headed towards the water. I walked into the ocean until you could only see my torso, I was checking the temperature. Seeing as it was summer, the water was pretty warm so I started swimming towards the horizon, only stopping when I could barely make out the coffee shop that was near the beach's entrance.

I held my breath and went under the water.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Justin's POV:

I walked around the beach until I found a spot that I liked. It was near some rocks, and there was another person's stuff there, but I figured the person wouldn't mind sharing.

I liked coming to the beach this early. It was nice, being by myself for once. And staring out towards the ocean, it brought a sort of calm over me. Tranquility. Peace.

I looked up and saw a girl around my age go towards the water and start swimming. I smiled as I watched her, she looked so happy. She turned and looked towards the beach's entrance, then started swimming.

I smiled. I felt sort of creeper-like for watching her. But it's not like she'd ever know right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Regular POV

I sighed as I took a break, I'd been swimming for around 20 minutes and now I just wanted to relax in the water and just float along.

I lifted my head up to see if anyone had started arriving yet, only a few people. But one in particular stood out. He was sitting near the rocks, close to where I'd set my stuff down.

Now, I couldn't be sure because I was so far away...but that boy looked gorgeous.

As soon as the thought entered my brain, I frowned and shook my head.

I had to focus on my training so I could make it into the Olympics.

I was already part of the swim team at school, and the coach said that big things would start happening for me soon if I just stayed focused.

That's part of the reason why I came to the beach so early and left as soon as the crowds started coming...I didn't want to risk meeting anyone that I could potentially become attached too.

I shook my head. Especially when that someone was staring in my general direction.

That's a no no in my book.

I sighed as I cut my break short and started swimming in wide circle again.

Maybe this one is special
Maybe this one is just like all the other ones that could get in the way of my goal

Yea, I talk to myself. Have a problem? No? Didn't think so.

I'm sorry, did I stutter? Maybe this one is special
Maybe he's not
Well you're never going to know are you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1 Hour Later

My muscles were starting to get tired, so I decided to head back. Usually I stayed a little while longer, just to see how long I could go but I had a sudden need to go to the coffee shop.

I stumbled onto the beach and headed for my towel.

I flopped onto it, noting that creeper boy wasn't there anymore.

Not like you care right.
Shut up.

I caught my breath, stood up, and walked towards the coffee shop.

It was still pretty early, so there was barely anyone around...

Except for...

Shaking my head, I ignored his presence as I stepped towards the counter and ordered my usual.

And just as I was about to pay, a hand reached out and put down a five dollar bill.

I turned around to tell whoever it was that that wasn't necessary...

But as soon as I turned, I was lost in his eyes.

Creeper Boy.

"My treat." He said, grinning.

"I-...thank you." I replied.

He stuck out his hand. "I'm Justin."

I took it and shook his hand.

"So...do you always stare at random people swimming?"

His eyes widened a bit and his face turned a little red.

"I was just impressed by your stamina."

"I'm sure."

I grabbed my drink and turned to leave.

"Wait," he said, gently catching hold of my arm "Aren't you going to tell me your name?"

I looked at him and smiled.

"Ariella"

"I'll be seeing you, Ariella"

Somehow, I knew he'd be making good on his promise.

I left the coffee shop and started walking towards home.

I told you he was special
Oh, shush.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not my best work, but I hope you people like it anyways :)
And if it's not too much trouble, would you mind leaving a comment telling me how I did? Much Appreciated