Mysterious Song

-Chapter 30-

After my mom and I got back from the police station, I ran upstairs and into my room. I opened the door to find a box wrapped in purple paper resting on my blue bed sheet. I walked towards it, but something in the back of my mind kept nagging me to call my mom. I ignored the nagging feeling and picked up the box. It was light, and it fit my palms. The purple paper was wrapped professionally around the box like it's something special.

Without the wrapper paper, the box looked like any other box; brown. I carefully opened the box to find a flash drive glued to the middle of the box. It was red and long with "have fun watching it" written in black pen. I quickly took the flash drive and plugged it in my blue laptop.

I waited as the video loaded. It was nothing at first, but then a woman in the same clothes as my grandma was in the middle of my screen. Her head was covered with a brown paper bag and I can tell she's suffered a lot because of the visible bruises that are starting to heal. Her clothes are ripped and she was shaking so badly I felt angry with the person who did this to her.

"Victoria, please be careful!" the woman pleaded although her voice was altered to make it sound like a man's voice.

As I was about to shut my computer off, a huge, meaty hand reached around her neck and squeezed it so tight she almost turned blue. She cried and kicked, but the hand was too strong. The poor woman collapsed to the ground and the screen turned black.

"Victoria! Dinner's ready!" mom called. I took the flash drive out and I decided to keep it. I have no idea why I kept it, but my mind kept telling me it was something very important. I raced downstairs and when I got to the dining room, my mom had an odd look on her face.

"What?"

"Honey, what happened? Have you been crying?"

"Huh?" I touched my cheek and sure enough it was wet. I haven't even realized that I was crying the whole time. I guess the video was just too much for me to bear.

Then tell your mother about it. Maybe she can help! A voice in the back of my mind said. I ignored it. I'm pretty sure it was nothing.

"Uh...I was watching a movie and it was just sad so I must've cried without realizing it." I lied. I haven't lied to my mom. EVER! Not even when my friends and I ditched just to go meet this cute guy. It turned out he was a cross dresser!

She nodded and I smiled in return.