Status: The last chapter is coming up! I told you this was going to be a short story

The Red Bullet

What hides in the dark

Bang
Bang
Loud gunshots echoed around Jennifer as she scrambled around in the dark to find her two siblings. She felt her way into the living room where she had last seen them watching SpongeBob, but they were gone. The light emanating off the TV revealing two bullet holes on the white sofa where her brother and sister sat earlier in comfort. Worried about their safety she tried to make her way out the room while listening for footsteps, but she only heard the white noise coming from the TV.

“Max!” she yelled, “Mary!” and then more gun fire. Jennifer ran over to the staircase that lead to the second floor and called out again, but the response was more gunfire. Worried and frighten Jennifer ran up the stairs and into the hallway where all the bedrooms were. Walking from room to room she called for her siblings again, but in a low whisper and had no reply. She heard a crash downstairs and jumped at the sound of shattering glass as she placed her hand over her heart. Her heart was beating fast as her brain tried to make sense of what was happening. She didn’t know what was going on and it scared her. Jennifer could feel the sheltered life she had been living crumble beneath her with every step she took and every bullet the intruder fired. But what terrified her most was the thought of what was the man’s plan when he catches her or worse her siblings.

It all happened so fast the babysitter never saw it coming. Julia, the babysitter, laid dead in the foyer with a bullet in her head staring into nothingness. Jennifer cringed at the memory of Julia’s body lying on the floor after being kicked aside by the intruder, As if she was garbage, Jennifer thought to herself. She stood in front of her little brother’s room preparing herself for any horrors that may lie on the other side of the door. Gathering up her courage Jennifer opened the door and stepped into a world full of toys and transformers on the floor and walls. She whispered for Max and Mary when Jennifer heard shuffling coming from the closet. She walked over and opened the door to find Max and Mary armed and ready for battle, Max wearing a hockey mask while holding a hockey stick and Mary clinging onto her baseball bat. They held tightly onto their weapons, but they kept their eyes closed.

“Max” Jennifer whispered “Mary” both of them opened their eyes and looked at Jennifer. Half a second passed before they dropped their objects and clung to Jennifer’s clothing as they sobbed. Jennifer tried to calm them down, but they wouldn’t stop and she guessed they knew Julia was dead. When Jennifer asked them what they saw something occurred to her and she quickly hushed Mary before she could answer. Jennifer couldn’t hear anyone moving downstairs and the shooting stopped. She sighed in relief thinking the man had left when she heard a creaking noise. The man was coming up the stairs.

Jennifer quickly told Max and Mary to run to their parents’ room and call 911, but they refused. She then realized that her parents’ room was down the hall and they would have the pass the stairs to get there and they were frightened. She had to think of something quickly, but her brain wasn’t functioning the way it should. She peered out the door when she noticed her father’s office door was cracked open. An idea popped in her head as she grabbed her siblings and ran into the office looking for the one thing that could help her. She shuffled papers in one of the desk compartments and found the key to her father’s lock box where he kept his .9 MM pistol. Unfortunately the lock box was downstairs in the kitchen closet, ‘Never keep two deadly things together.’ Jennifer’s dad always told her. With another creak Jennifer felt chills go down her spine as the man grew closer to landing. As she was beginning to panic Jennifer’s eyes fell on Max and she thought up a plan.