Status: Updating frequently :)

Beneath the Surface

Chapter Three

February 3rd, 2012
Friday
Pittsburgh University on Campus Building, Pittsburgh, PA
9:00 A.M.

Carmen stood outside of the building waiting to see a car pull in. It was cold out and she was tempted to go inside and watch from there but she wanted Mindy to see her.

When a Land Rover pulled in and stopped at the entrance Carmen knew it was her. A girl got out of the passenger side and said

“Bye Sid, see you later,” The girl shut the door and turned around and smiled at Carmen. The girl had extremely red hair, she looked friendly she walked up.

“Hi, are you Carmen?” she asked. Carmen smiled and said

“Yes, are you Mindy,” The girl said

“Yes,” said Mindy with a laugh. “So where are we starting this tour?”

“We’ll make our way around campus.” said Carmen. They walked to Carmen’s car.

“So you like Pittsburgh?” asked Carmen.

“Ya I have some family here so I knew I wanted to go to this university.”

“What do you want to study?”

“Accounting,” said Mindy. “What are you studying?”

“Criminology,” said Carmen. The girls drove around campus and Carmen pointed out different buildings and landmarks. Carmen leaned that Mindy lived in Nova Scotia and had taken a year off after graduating high school.

“Do you need a ride home?” asked Carmen.

“No thanks,” said Mindy. “My cousin is picking me up.” The girls had become friends by the time Carmen ended her tour. Carmen brought her back to the building they had met at. The Land Rover Mindy had been dropped off in was there waiting for her.

“Thanks so much Carmen,” said Mindy.

“No problem,” said Carmen.

“Can I call you if I have any questions?” asked Mindy.

“Of course,” said Carmen. They exchanged numbers and Carmen watched Mindy get into the Land Rover. She still couldn’t see who was sitting in the front seat when the car drove off.

Carmen got to work after the tour. Rodney was eating lunch when she walked in.

“So how was the tour?” he asked.

“It went very well,” said Carmen. “She was a nice girl.”

“Where was Jenny today?” asked Rodney.

“Out with a guy,” she said. “Another date.” Rodney rolled his eyes knowing all about Jenny’s personality.

Carmen stood out front behind the desk. It was a slow day but the later it got the more customers came. Something she loved about her job was the interesting people that came through the door. Men and women who had dedicated their entire bodies to art, a group of drunken men wanting tattoos they’d regret in the morning, she’d seen every kind of person walk through the door.

She organized some of the new tattoo designed Rodney had made and looked at her cell phone. She was surprised to find a next text message. She opened it and saw it was from Mindy. Wondering what she wanted she read the message.

‘I was wondering if you wanted to come to a small party my family is having next Wednesday’ Surprised Carmen typed back.

‘Sure thanks for inviting me. Where and what time?’

‘It’s at 4:00, in Sewickley.’ Mindy then gave her the house address and Carmen typed back.

‘I’ll be there,’

Mindy was sitting on the couch in Sidney’s living room. She had a good day. She liked Carmen and had been quick to make friends with her. Her aunt Trina walked in and said

“So how was the tour?”

“Awesome, Carmen was really nice.”

“You should invite her to the party Mario’s putting together next week as thanks.”

“That’s a good idea,” said Mindy. “I will.”
_________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.