Status: Updating frequently :)

Beneath the Surface

Chapter Eight

February 9th, 2012
Thursday
Carmen and Jenny’s Apartment, Sewickley, PA
11:00 P.M.

Carmen quietly shut the door to her apartment. It was dark and she didn’t want to turn on the lights and wake up Jenny. She crept under the kitchen as she put her keys and purse down onto the table. As she was walking past the living room towards her bedroom the lights came on. Jenny was sitting on the couch, her hand on the light switch.

“So where have you been all night?” she asked, “I thought you were going to help out Rodney and be home by 10:00.” Jenny usually went to bed at 9:30 on nights that she wasn’t going out.

“I-I did,” said Carmen nervously.

“In a Penguins jersey?” she asked. Carmen realized that she was still wearing Sidney’s jersey.

“I-uhhh,” Carmen didn’t know what to say, she had been caught.

“Just tell me where you were,” said Jenny, “You’ve been sneaking around a lot lately.”

“I just met a new friend and she wanted to take me to a Penguins game.”

“And you didn’t TELL ME!” said Jenny, sounding angry. Carmen’s mind was spinning as she tried to think of a believable excuse.

“Well I didn’t want to hurt your feelings,” said Carmen, “I know you like the Pens and she only asked me to go-”

“You could have told me I would have totally understood,” said Jenny. Carmen had a feeling if she had told Jenny she was going beforehand she would have not understood and been pissed at her.

“Sorry,” said Carmen.

“Did you have fun?” she asked, getting up from the couch.

“Ya it was interesting,” said Carmen.

“Did you see hot Crosby?” asked Jenny, excitedly.

“On the ice,” said Carmen. She walked into her room and pulled off the jersey, laying it on the bed. It had been an amazing night but now all she wanted to do was just curl up in bed and go to sleep. She went back out to grab her purse and to her horror, found Jenny on her phone.

“What are you doing?!” said Carmen.

“Just looking to see who your new friend is,” said Jenny, scrolling through her contacts.

“No!” said Carmen trying to pull the phone away from her. Jenny held it out of her reach as she continued to scroll through. Her heart completely sank when she saw her come down to Sidney’s contact. He had given her his number that night and she had been stupid enough to put his full name in. Jenny laughed and said

“Nice try but you don’t fool me; did you actually think I’d believe that you got Sidney Crosby’s number?” Carmen was about to go along with it and pretend that she had been trying to play a joke on Jenny until she said “I mean come on; he’d never give you his number. I bet that guy has supermodels crawling all over him everyday. Why would he give his number to you?” Carmen was sick of Jenny belittling her.

“I must be as hot as any of those supermodels then because that is his real number.” Jenny laughed at her again and tossed her phone back to her and said

“You have some serious problems with wishful thinking if you’re still trying to convince me that that’s his real number.” Carmen was fuming as she watched Jenny walk back into the living room.

“Deny it all you want Jenny,” she said angrily, “But he gave me his number. The girl I gave a tour of the campus to was his cousin and she introduced me.” Jenny continued to laugh from the living room.

“I’ll believe it when I see it,” said Jenny.

“I don’t need you to believe me,” she said. Before she could hear what else Jenny had to say she stormed off to her bedroom and shut the door. Jenny pissed her off so much sometimes. She often questioned herself why she was living with her. She knew she had no other option. She couldn’t pay full rent by herself in her own apartment and there were days where she and Jenny felt like real best friends. They would get along and have fun together and it made Carmen forget about all of her negative thoughts against Jenny. It was like a rollercoaster, constantly going up and down. What made her feel the most frustrated was as much as she wanted to prove to Jenny that she had really gotten Sidney’s number, there was no way she’d let her meet him. Who knows what she’d do or say. Carmen kept her door shut that night, not wanting to be bothered by Jenny again.

The next morning Carmen knew she’d have to drive to classes with Jenny. Like she had expected, Jenny made fun of her the whole way there. Carmen tried to keep calm by putting all of her focus on the road.

“So are you going out with Sidney tonight?” asked Jenny sarcastically. Carmen ignored her and didn’t answer. “Is it going to be a double date with all of his teammates?”

“Just drop it Jenny,” said Carmen in a smooth voice, trying to sound unbothered.

“I bet it’ll be somewhere really nice,” said Jenny, “To bad you don’t have any nice dresses in your closest to wear.” Carmen couldn’t take her insults anymore. She almost slammed on the breaks.

“Shut up!” she snapped. “I’m sick of you talking about it!” Jenny gave her a look of disgust.

“What’s your problem?” she asked. Carmen was thankful to pull into the parking lot. She needed to get out of the car.

“You are creating the problem,” said Jenny. “Go ahead and don’t believe me but don’t be a bitch about it.” She pushed open the door and started walking towards the building.

“Well if you weren’t such a liar I wouldn’t be saying anything,” said Jenny. Carmen ignored her and continued to walk.

After class Carmen had to drop Jenny off at the apartment before heading to work. The car ride was silent and neither of them said a word to each other. Carmen felt relieved when Jenny finally got out of the car and she was alone.

When she got to Rodney’s she was happy to see that there wasn’t anyone there and Rodney was in the back drawing up some new designs to put on display.

“Hey,” he said, looking up from his work. He saw her upset expression and said “What’s wrong?”

“Jenny’s being stupid,” she said. Rodney rolled his eyes and said

“She always is, you should just move out. She’s always doing something or saying something to you to make you feel inferior. She’s not a real friend.”

“There’s no where for me to go if I move out,” she said.

“Well you could come stay with me,” said Rodney, “Or move back with Angela, I’m sure she wouldn’t mind.” Carmen shoke her head and said

“If I did that I’d feel dependant, I want to do things on my own.”

“What did she do?” asked Rodney.

“You’re not gonna believe me either,” said Carmen nervously, “But the girl I gave a tour to was Sidney Crosby’s cousin.” She let Rodney take in what she had said

“You mean Sidney Crosby the famous hockey player?” asked Rodney.

“Ya,” said Carmen. He opened his mouth to say something but Carmen but him off. “Oh it gets better.” She said with a smile.

“The girl invited me to a family dinner as a thank you for showing her around. I met Sidney there.”

“How come you never told me about this?!” asked Rodney.

“Because the shop’s been really busy lately and I haven’t had the chance to come in here and tell you,” said Carmen laughing. “Anyway, after the dinner the girl wanted me to come out with her and Sidney to eat and he wanted me to come to the hockey game last night.”

“Did you go?!” asked Sidney excitedly.

“Ya,” said Carmen, “I didn’t want Jenny to know so I told her I was coming down here to help you out with some stuff.” She explained what had happened with his number and how Jenny was acting.

“Wow,” said Rodney. “I can’t believe you’re friends with Sid the Kid.”

“I don’t care how angry she makes me I’m not introducing her; she’d act like a complete fangirl around him. I don’t want to make him uncomfortable.”

“Just don’t let her get to you;” said Rodney, “She’s always been jealous of you, that’s why she’s a bitch.” Carmen’s eyes widened in surprise.

“Ya right,” she said, “She’s gorgeous and confident.”

“That’s exactly what she wants you to think,” said Rodney. “She wants you to feel inferior to her; she’s been building it up since high school when you first met her.” Carmen shrugged, still not believing Rodney. She saw a man walk into the front room and she said

“I’ll talk to you more about it later Rod, before I leave.” She went back out front and asked the man what he was there for. As the man was explaining the tattoo he wanted to get Carmen was still in deep thought about what Rodney had said.
_________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.

School is finally over so I will be posting a lot more :)