Status: Finished :D

U Smile... I Smile

Learning to Surf

A week has passed by on Justin and mine’s vacation. Every day was full of remarkable and exciting events; we went to Lahaina, Wailea, Maui Ocean Center, and beaches all around the island. Each day was full of fun and not once did I ever get bored! When we went to Lahaina and Wailea, I went crazy on shopping at all the shops. My favorite store ended up being the Stupid Factory, where I got tons of clothes and mini accessories! I got a pajama set that were boxer shorts and a tank saying ‘Shake your coconuts’ on the front, a few shirts with many different and unique sayings, and accessories like a make-up bag and glasses case for my sunglasses. Every night, when we got back to our condo in Kihei, Justin and I would eat dinner, go swimming at the resort pool, or go on nightly walks on the beach or around the grounds of the resort. One night when we were walking around the grounds, a family of geckos came out in front of us. I was able to catch a baby and hold it in my hands. It felt really weird with their gripper toes. But it soon hopped out of the cup of my hands and scurried away trying to find its family. It was fascinating! Another night when we were on the beach, we saw baby leatherback turtles that hatched and were scuttling to the water trying to save themselves from the crabs and seagulls who wanted dinner.

Last night, Justin took me on a walk down to the beach and acted differently than any of the other nights we’ve been here. I tried asking him what was wrong, but he would never answer except just give me a smile. I thought nothing of it at the time, but now I’m really curious. Hopefully Justin will tell me soon, otherwise I’m going to confront him about it.

Today, we were going to spend the whole day at the beach across from where our condo is. We were finally going to be getting our surfing lessons. I was anxious because it would be something new and I was afraid that I would do it wrong. I was in charge of the picnic basket while Justin went to a beach rental shop to get us surfboards for the lesson. When he came back, I was already to go in my new bathing suit and sarong that Justin got me with picnic basket in hand. We left as soon as he changed into his own swimsuit and were on our way to the beach.

When we found a spot to lay our beach towel and umbrella down in a part of shade from the palm trees above us, Justin informed me that we had about two hours until our lesson started. So for a while, I sunbathed, then I interacted with Justin. We played beach Frisbee, built a grand sand castle with a group of little kids, swam in the ocean for a short time, and ate our lunches. When we were putting everything back into the picnic basket so that it wouldn’t blow away, Justin looked at his watch and put it in the basket, too. He stood up and helped me up then led the way to where we were meeting our instructors.

When we got to the surf shack, there was a male and female instructor waiting. The female looked recognizable, but I couldn’t figure out how or if I met her before. She looked about Justin and mine’s age while the male was way older, he looked to be about twenty-eight years.

“Hi. I’m Justin and this is my girlfriend, Sienna.” He reached over with his right hand stuck out and shook both of the instructor’s hands and I did the same.

“Hello. My name is Jason and this is Heather, nice to meet you. Ready to catch some waves?” Jason said with a grin.

“Ready as I’ll ever be.” I muttered. I thought about the name of the girl and figured out how I recognized her. Heather was me and Justin’s waitress at Fred’s that first day when we ate there.

“Your boards are behind the shack so we didn’t rent them out to somebody else.” Heather said. She and Jason headed down to shore, while Justin and I got ours and met them down at the bottom.

“Okay,” Jason started as we got to the shore of the beach, “I’m going to work with Justin while Heather is going to work with Sienna. Sound good? Okay, first things first, learning to paddle out.”

For about twenty minutes, Heather was teaching me how to paddle properly and balance my stance on the board. Justin would look back at me and smile. He was also a quicker learner than me. He was soon catching waves while I was still learning to paddle. Heather and I made conversation and she ended up being a really cool person to hang out with. Eventually, I too was starting to catch baby waves. Justin was so much better than me since he has good balance while I definitely don’t, probably from the years of skateboarding.

Justin and I met up floating atop of our boards while Heather and Jason were going out to the deep to catch some bigger waves. It was an amazing sight to watch them go through the pipes of the waves. I always thought that the wave would crash while they were in the pipe, but every time they proved me wrong and came out in one piece.

The sun was starting to set below the horizon, when they came back. Since the tide was coming in, the waves were getting bigger where Justin and I were. And we started paddling to shore with Heather and Jason.

After ‘thank yous’ and putting boards back, Justin and I went back to our spot we had earlier and got our belongings. We started heading back to the condo and as soon as I got there I took a shower and got into a tank and shorts and fell right asleep. Surfing all day took every bit of energy out of me. But it turned out to be a lot of fun, and I was glad I was able to experience that with Justin.