Mind Link

Mind Splatter 6.

The surrounding area was deserted, with not a soul in sight, when Tayla and Colin made their way down to the Environmental Science classroom after break.

"This'll be my fun subject this year," Colin said absentmindedly, dropping his books and sitting on the grass.

"I thought music was you fun subject," Tayla wondered, joining her friend.

"I mean, the fun subject I can flunk without worry of the consequences," Colin corrected himself.

Tayla shook her head. She often wondered why she was the only student to take Environmental Science because she found the subject interesting, rather than because she needed another subject to fill in the space, or because she was forced into it. In her eyes, Environmental Science was the most interesting science there was, but everyone seemed to be going for Psychology these days, more interested in people than the beauty surrounding them that was nature.

"I started writing a new song this summer," Colin said randomly.

"Really?" Tayla said, curious. "What about?"

Colin sighed, "Just the up's and downs of life... and high school. Mostly high school."

Tayla laughed, "Did you mention me?"

"Of course!"

The two friends smiled at each other, it was so nice having someone you didn't need to pretend around. Even for Colin with his music buddies, there was still that unspoken rule that you had to act cool, like you don't care about anything, be mysterious and all that. Even though no one said it, you were looked down upon if you acted any different. Colin liked being a musician, because it allowed him to express his feelings through song, but he found that lately it had become less to do with that and more to do with how people perceived you. Writing music to impress rather than to express. At least that was how it was at their school. It seemed as if almost everyone played an instrument, or wanted to at least, and people were beginning to lose track of what it really meant. Being a musician was cool, and that's all anyone ever thought about.

Voices floated down from above causing Tayla and Colin to both look up. Tayla sighed, more people to come to ruin her favourite subject by their non-interest. It wasn't fair; she'd be perfectly happy to be the only person in the class, but apparently that was impossible. Teachers didn't want to teach classes with only one student, instead they'd like 20 impossibly annoying students who won't listen to a word they say regardless. Yeah, that made a lot of sense.

"...and he was really cute," some girl said.

"Totally, like way cuter than Josh," another girl said in reply.

"Nuh uh," another girl shook her head, then sighed, "no one is cuter than Josh."

Tayla and Colin looked at each other and rolled their eyes. That was going to be fun to listen to for the rest of the year. Tayla wondered why they were in this class. Did they pick it? Or were they forced into it by some teacher? Probably for talking to much in class.

More people began to follow the three girls down the path towards to Environmental Science room, all looking bored and dreading the class to come. Tayla and Colin picked up their books, getting up when they say the teacher jogging down the path.

Mr. Woodley wasn't the best science teacher, but he was better than some. He could handle a rowdy class and teach them interesting stuff without them actually realising, until the test came along. Tayla and Colin knew this from year seven when they had received him as a core science teacher. Back in the day when Kyle and Cody where out to make as many people's lives miserable as they possibly could, Mr. Woodley had served as a great brick wall to their attempts.

"Come along now class," Mr. Woodley said, unlocking the classroom door, "we've got a lot to get through today."

The class groaned but followed Tayla and Colin (who were the first to move) into the classroom. Tayla and Colin took seats in the middle of the classroom. Praying that no one would sit by them. Which would mean they had a whole row to themselves. People filed past, muttering things like Unfair. Boring class. Idiot teacher. Wish I was home right now. Should've wagged. Josh is cuter. Tayla silently laughed to herself. it was good to know, that even though Colin would have preferred to take another music class, he was still happy to be here. Almost everyone took a seat towards the back of classroom, apart from the few stragglers who took seats at the ends of the front few rows, trying to be as small and insignificant as possible.

"Alright then," Mr Woodley said, turning to the class, "for those of you who don't me. I'm Mr. Woodley. I'm sure we're all going to get along splendidly."

Tayla heard a few voices behind, mutter responses, far from it.

"I can already see a few familiar faces," he smiled, looking towards Tayla and Colin, "and I few others I'm excited to get to know." He was so happy, despite the lack of interest in his audience. It was like he didn't care or, who knows, maybe he just didn't notice.

A bang, followed by laughing floated in through the open classroom door, making everyone present jump. Mr. Woodley sighed. Latecomers where his only weakness. Kyle Furness, Cody Embers and Katie Pluck walked through the doorway, looking like they owned the world and everyone in it.