Mind Link

Mind Splatter 7.

"Mr. Furness," Mr. Woodley began. "Would you and your friends kindly refrain from coming late to my class? Mr. Embers, your school uniform is appalling."

The three in the doorway, stared back as if looking into space. Clearly, they'd rather be anywhere else. Tayla rolled her eyes, she had been mentally preparing herself for this exact moment, but it didn't lessen the pain. A year of Kyle, Cody and Katie ruining her favourite subject, wasn't an exciting concept. She had been there when the bad news had been announced. Two weeks of detention and Environmental Science class for a year, and Mariah Furness had yelled her head off..... at Tayla. Of course it was Tayla's fault if Kyle had chosen to skip class. It was always her fault, even the things she couldn't control, like exhibit A. Her heart dropped when she discovered there was only going to be one Environmental Science class (not that she had expected anything different) and she was going to be stuck with her brother and the idiot for a year, not to mention Little Miss Giggles.

"Sit down," Mr. Woodley told them.

They deliberated for a second, then Kyle walked forward, sitting down at the very front of the classroom. And, like the brainless buffs they are, Katie and Cody followed.

The three girls behind Colin and Katie sighed, it was now obvious who they thought was or wasn't cuter than Josh. Tayla shuddered.

Kyle turned around, looked pointedly at Tayla grinned, then turned back around and nudged Cody.

"Alright class," Mr. Woodley continued, "Well, as you all know, Environmental Science is the study of the environment, how things work and such. So this year I'll take you through the basics and prepare you for year 11 in case you wish to continue on with the subject..." Mr. Woodley's lecture voice kicked in and even Tayla had trouble focusing. Colin had zoned out a while back, his hands making guitar movements in the air (probably practising his new song). The three girls behind them had silently re-started their argument, and others were carefully taking out phones or iPod's from their pockets. Mr. Woodley continued on with his talk, seeming oblivious to the change.

Suddenly Katie shrieked her annoying laugh, causing most people in the vicinity to cringe at the sound. Mr. Woodley blinked repeatedly, as if trying to get rid of the sound. When Katie continued her giggles quietly, he cleared his throat and continued speaking.

Tayla gasped as she felt her pocket vibrate. Colin looked down and nodded. Pulling her phone out of her pocket, she slid it open and read:

New Message from Kyle
Hey sis :)

Tayla sighed. Kyle, texting her in class, what was with that? He must obviously want something. Hitting 'reply' she sent back:

What Kyle? Can't you just stick to annoying me at home??

She hit the send button, placing her phone in her lap and looking up at Mr. Woodley, pretended to be paying attention. Only seconds later, her phone buzzed again. Under the table, she slid it open.

New Message from Kyle
Woah! Geez, don't bite my head off! I'm going out with Cody and Katie after school, so tell mum, yeah?

Silent anger.

What?! No! She'll just yell at me, you know she will! Tayla messaged back. Her phone vibrated moments later.

New Message from Kyle
Not my problem Tayla

Tayla could've shouted from anger, he was doing this just to annoy her. As soon as she got home and told their mum about Kyle going out Mariah Furness would go on a yelling rampage. Why didn't you stop him? You should be looking after him? Where is he? Call him! Yes, once again, it would be all Tayla's fault and it didn't help that their mother had a tendency to over react over almost everything.

Go home and tell her yourself! Or call her! It's not that hard y'know! She sent back.

Colin looked over, saw the texts from Kyle and continued with his daydreaming. Sibling troubles, not good to get involved with.

New Message from Kyle
Tough love sis. If you need me, you know where to find me.

Tayla knew then, that the conversation was over. And she had by no means won. She'd just have to take it like it was. She considered going home and pretending that she didn't know where Kyle was, causing Mariah to get all paranoid, and then when Kyle did get home he'd be in heaps of trouble. But of course, he'd tell her that Tayla did know where he was going and had asked her to pass on the message, which meant Tayla would then get in trouble for lying. Because Kyle always told the truth.

Tayla slipped her phone back into her pocket, just as Mr. Woodley said, "Alright now, pass around these slips. I need everyone to get a parent to sign, or else you won't be able to go on our nature hike next week."

"Nature hike?" A few people mumbled, sounding as if missing out would be the best thing in the world.

"Yes," Mr. Woodley continued, passing the notes to each of the rows, "It's part of your assessment for the year. So, to miss it would mean instant fail. Or I can arrange some written work for you to do, if the case be."

A shudder went through the class, a nature hike was better than written work any day. Tayla took the slip Colin was handing her and read the details.

Year 10 Environmental Science Nature Hike

Dear Sir\Madam, this year your child will be participating in a Nature Hike as part of their school curriculum. During the hike, they will be studying different variety of plants and their impact on the earth.
If you wish for your child to participate in this excursion please sign the note below and $5 payment


Date: 12th February
Time: 9:00am - 3:00pm
Required Equipment:Pen, paper and camera

Lunch will be provided

Blah, blah, blah. Tayla couldn't say she was looking forward to the excursion, but there was a shimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe, Kyle, Cody and Katie would skip this nature hike, and Tayla would have at least one day of peace.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter :D