Mind Link

Mind Splatter 8.

The breeze flitted down through the trees, causing some of the weaker leaves to blow away. So lying under the gumtree had not entirely been Kyle's decision. Katie had wanted to stop and 'watch the clouds go by' and obviously, Kyle couldn't refuse. Katie was pretty stubborn about these sort of things, she had to get her way, or else. Or else, Kyle didn't really know, but he had a fair idea what Katie's ultimate defence was, and it left him single, standing humiliated in front of a crowd of onlookers. Relationships were complicated. Kyle had known it from the start, Cody on the other had still found it hard to grasp. Third wheel didn't seem to have any meaning to him, and even though Katie found it annoying, Kyle just couldn't bring himself to send Cody away, he was his best friend after all. But sometimes, Kyle had to admit Cody's constant presence got on his nerves. He had put up quite a fight when Katie suggested the little detour from the cinema. Kyle had given in absolutely, and suggested to Cody to go on ahead, hoping that maybe he'd agree. But, he had chosen to stay behind, annoying Katie and causing turmoil amongst the group.

So now they sat under the gumtree, Kyle and Cody bored out of their minds. Katie, with her head in Kyle's lap, bitching about every other girl at school.

"... and did you see her face? I swear that girl wear too much make-up! I mean, yeah she definitely needs some, but not that much!!"

Kyle could've fallen asleep from boredom, he could see Cody well on his way, and now started to wish he had put up more of an argument against the detour.

"Kyle," Katie started suddenly, and he looked down to see her looking up at him sceptically. "Your sister is so weird."

Cody snorted. Katie looked away rolling her eyes. As Kyle's cheek's went a shade darker he was glad no one was paying attention to him.

He cleared his throat, "Ah, yeah. I know."

Katie continued, "I swear, it's like you guys aren't even related."

Kyle cleared his throat, "um, yeah. Good thing, huh?" This was not his idea of an ideal conversation. He knew Katie loathed Tayla, knew it better than he Tayla herself. He just could never understand why. Alright, so Tayla hated Katie because she spat in her face second grade, but why did Katie hate Tayla? Why did she spit in her face? It can't have been because of Kyle, the two weren't dating then. They didn't even know each other. Kyle would never understand girls. He always heard Katie talk bad about her own friends when they weren't around, and he just didn't get it. They're your friends, so why are you calling them bitches?

"Did you see her hair this morning? It was almost as bad as Tori's," she shuddered.

"Oh yeah," Cody exclaimed, "isn't she the one with the beehive hair?"

Katie half shrieked, half snorted, "Yes! It looks like something blew up on her head!"

Did they realise Kyle was starting to lose it? Did they realise that even though he bagged her so much, that didn't give them the express permission to do it themselves? Controlling himself, Kyle pushed up off the ground. Katie shrieked as her head hit the ground below, while Cody choked on his coke at Kyle's sudden movement.

"Let's go," he said gruffly, walking off before neither Katie or Cody could utter a word.

They stared at each other with confusion, then jumped up within a second of each other, and followed Kyle out of the park.