Status: mostly prewritten-if it's enjoyed, then ill post what i can.

The Boy With the Thorn in His Side

Duties of a Slytherin

To say that things at Hogwarts were different, would be a gross understatement. Snape kept things on a tight rope, and everyone felt it's pull. While we in Slytherin were the lucky ones, the others, especially the rebelious Gryffindors, were punished the most often. Sometimes, on my way back to the Commons from a late dinner, I could hear yelling, or maybe even screaming echo through the vast halls. Under such a strict regime, everyone kept their heads down and their thoughts to themselves. Except for us Slytherins, of course.

As for everything else (ie: Draco and I) things were going smoothly. I personally, had nothing to complain about, my classes were simple, save for Arithmancy, and I hadn't had any problems with classmates or students. Thus far. Though on occasion, when Draco and I left the Great Hall after lunch most days, we got a lot of looks. But that was normal, we were both well used to it.
One not to special day during the middle of October, we were doing just that, on our way out to the courtyard, we were stopped.

"Oh Miss Ainsley," I stopped in my tracks when I heard the familiar voice of Alecto Carrow say my name. "How fortuitous, you're exactly the person I'm looking for." She cooed, and Draco slowly stopped as well, looking at us over his shoulder.

"Is there something you need, Professor?" He asked in an astonishingly audacious way. I looked back at him quickly, before turning back to Professor Carrow.

"Not from you, Mr. Malfoy," She narrowed her eyes at him very slightly, then looked back at me calmly, "Any how, Stellan, I would like to see you in my office after your classes are finished, if you don't mind." She finished when she turned her gaze on me, and I nodded fervently.

"Certainly," I agreed at once, not really sure why she'd need me; I was doing just fine in her class, "...Is there um, anything wrong, Professor? I thought I was doing well-"

"Not at all, Miss Ainsley, on the contrary. You're doing splendid. I'd just like to speak with you about a few things, when you have the time tonight." She gave me an odd smile, that clearly didn't belond on her pudgy face. I fought off a grimace, and tried to smile back at her politely.

"I will be there, then, Professor," I said, and gave her a nod, as she began to walk into the Great Hall. I breathed a sigh of relief, then turned toward Draco again to resume our stroll to the courtyard, "What could she possibly want with me?" I asked when I looked up at him, my eyes wide. Draco shrugged slightly, and tucked his hands into his trouser pockets.

"Not sure. Nothing spectacular, I assume." He answered lightly, and glanced down at me. I pursed my lips and looked around as we walked through the huge archway that led to the courtyard. With one hand, I tightened my black cardigan around myself, and curled the other around Draco's forearm. He didn't seem to mind the contact, nor the fact that we were stepping outside, where a fair amount of students loitered before they went back to their classes. The weather was cool, probably because the sun wasn't out, but I was wearing a skirt inspite of it. Mostly because it was new, and freshly pressed so the pleats were practacally sharp. That, and Draco had complemented it this morning in the Commons-well, he complemented the way my legs looked in it, so that was enough for me.

Draco led us to the covered walk way just across the courtyard, where we strolled for a little while, before taking a seat under one of the arches looking out across the grounds. The stone was cold against the back of my thighs where they touched it, but otherwise I was quite comfortable sitting there next to him, my head rested back against a pillar as I glanced over at Draco. He was fussing with his tie, because apparently this morning he'd tied it completely wrong.

"Oh bother, come here Draco, you're hopeless." I snapped finally, after getting tired of listening to him grumble and watching his fingers trip over themselves. He rolled his eyes, but sat forward, and I did the same, "You could have just used that spell I don't know why....." I muttered as I pulled the smooth silk fabric out of it's knotted loop. Draco rolled his stormy-sky eyes again, but more dramatically this time.

"I did, that's why it's all bloody wrong..." He murmured back, his eyes moving down as if he could see my hands as they straightened the sides of his tie. I glanced up at him quickly, our eyes meeting briefly, then as I made the final loop in his tie, I tugged on it a little to draw him forward till our lips met. It was quick, and rough.

"Sometimes magic just isn't as good." I smiled faintly, and tightened the fabric enough so it was snug against his throat, but not stifling. Draco simply cocked an eyebrow, and leaned forward for another, longer kiss. It was simple; nothing too in depth because we would have class soon. We parted, and I leaned my shoulder against his.

"I've a test in Transfiguation today." I mumbled, swinging my legs a bit. Draco yawned, and looked down at my feet next to his.

"Yeah? And what are you going to transfigure into?" He asked with a wry smile as I slid off the stone bannister, smoothing out my skirt. I grinned, and held my hand out to him.

"I'm going to turn into a snake, big as Amsis, and I'm going to slither into your bed one night and squeeze the life out of you, darling." My smile seemed to grow at Draco's expression, one that said very cute, Stellan. But he placed his hand in mine none the less, and we started our way back around the courtyard, to head back inside.

"I reckon you're the only snake I'd welcome in my bed at night." He wore no smile, but it was apparent in his voice as he raised an eyebrow at me. I fought off an even wider grin at a few recent memories of charades; there had been a lot of sneaking into the boys dormitories, or sneaking around the Common's and all that lately. Inspite of the state of everyone else at the school, I for one was quite happy. For the time being.

That evening, after classes had finished and we sat at dinner, I asked Draco if he'd come to Professor Carrow's room with me. He shrugged, said Why? and to be quite honest I couldn't tell him. I couldn't very well come back with Well my parents aren't fellow Death Eaters, and I haven't been doing all that wonderfully in her class. So I just shook my head and took another bite of roasted potatoes. The rest of dinner was quiet, Draco seeming a tad distant, as he was sometimes. It happened once in a while, when he'd shut off and ignore me, citing sleepyness or stress as the reason. I didn't buy it for a moment, but let it go all the same.

"I'll most likely be awake when you get back, so." Draco murmured, as we stood in the hall outside of Alecto Carrow's classroom. The halls were mostly empty now, save for a few last stragglers, the ghosts, and the flames flickering lowly in their sconces. I nodded, and pushed myself up on my toes to kiss him, for the trillionth time that day. Somehow, it hadn't gotten old yet.

"Okay." I said when I pulled away, landing bodily on my heels. Draco's eyes flicked up, over me, as the door behind us creaked open.

"Good evening, Draco," Professor Carrow said, "If you would, Miss Ainsley." She added, when I had turned around. I nodded, letting go of the loose hold I had on Draco's hand a bit reluctantly. Without sparing Draco a glance over my shoulder, I followed the professor into her classroom. It was a fairly familiar place, though before having Muggle Studies, I'd never been in the room.

She led me through it, past the desk she tought from, past a chalkboard, to a small door at the back corner of the room. Everything felt a bit spooky, but then again everything at school these days did. The room behind the door though, was deceivingly warmly lit. Inside, stood her brother behind another desk, along with a sixth-year Slytherin boy, and a dour looking Blaise Zabini. And off to the left side of the room, sat a Hufflepuff girl of indeterminate age or year. And I was a bit confused. Blaise leveled me a gaze, and nodded, as if in some sort of acknowledgement.

"Miss Ainsley." Amycus gave me a nod as well, and an odd unnerving smile. At the front of her sparce desk, Alecto turned back to me, with a soft smile. I stood, back straight, and acted as if the most uncomfortable situation I'd ever been in. As I glanced around, I shifted my weight.

"May I call you Stellan?" Alecto asked, smiling amenably, and I nodded, instead of saying anything, "That's a good girl. Taking that this is your last year at Hogwarts," She paused, "I assume you know how to execute the Cruciatus curse. Or at least you do, in theory." Instantly I went rigid, my arms and legs refusing to move, whether I told them to or not, "Do you, Stellan?" She asked sternly, the feigned politeness gone from her voice. I swallowed, nodding rapidly again.

"In-in theory, professor...." I managed, though how my voice didn't give out on me, I didn't know. Already I had an educated guess as what she wanted me to do, and as my eyes flicked to the Hufflepuff girl, I noticed she was crying silently. That made my bottom lips quiver as well, but I pressed them together, trying to put on a strong repose.

"Very good, then take out your wand." A hard, sick looking smile broke out onto her lips, and I cringed. I felt as if I was going to puke. And I'm sure I looked just as green. I licked my lips as my eyes darted toward the poor girl, then, though it was stupid, I shook my head.

"What-? Professor I d-" My words choked off in my throat as Professor Carrow snapped up from where she was leaning against her desk, menacingly. In turn I took a step back, and of course, all eyes instantly glued to me--as if they'd been elsewhere.

"Stellan, as a Slytherin, and it seems as though you are a loyal Slytherin," God, I didn't know, nor did I want to know, what she meant by that, "And as such this is your duty!" I clenched my jaw as her voice raised and pitch, and I just wanted to run even if I wouldn't get far. Alecto stared at me, her eyes blazing and I simply glanced to the girl.

"You-...uh...What did-" Before I could even finish my thought, before I could get out a coherent sentance, the professor surged forward.

"Would you take her place, Stellan?" She asked quietly, seething. Instantly--and maybe this made me a coward--I shook my head rapidly, and fumbled through my sweater pockets for my wand. I grasped it with a shaking hand and drew it out, holding it hard enough to make my knuckles white. I also held it tight so I wouldn't drop it, "That's a good girl." Alecto cooed, and stepped to the side, to give me room apparently.

My body screamed against the movement when I turned to face the girl. I didn't recognize her, but she was quite young, and for that I was even more sorry. I tried to tell her through my expression, tried so hard to say that if I had the gall, I would have fought this. But I afraid, and under pressure I buckled easily. Especially with the threat of pain, and again, maybe it made me a coward. I'd gladly accept that label.

It was even more cowardly that I closed my eyes.

Draco
I was half asleep by the time the door to the Common room swung open, and immediately my eyelids snapped back. Rubbing my face, I looked first to the dying green fire before me, then toward the door. Stellan's footsteps were heavy, dragging maybe, and what little light there was in the room caught in her hair that was tired up half-heartedly. From where I sat, her expression wasn't all that readable, but it didn't look good. I snapped my Arithmancy book shut, and rested my chin in my hand as Stellan made her way over to the couch where I sat.

"All right?" I asked quietly, as she tossed her wand down on the couch next to me, and began to shrug off her cardigan. She looked rumpled, to say the least. As Stella took her seat next to me, she shook her head and folded her sweater over her arms. I shifted so my back was against the arm of the couch, and appraised her curiously. Wearily, it seemed, she returned my gaze.

"Not particularly." She said, her voice cracking slightly in that tell-tale way. Seeing Stellan cry had never been easy; it was unnerving and uncomfortable and completely out of place on her.

"Are you going to cry?" I asked, scooting over the couch cushions, and draped an arm around her shoulders. Stellan clenched her jaw and frowned at me, obviously displeased, "Sorry..." I frowned as well, not really knowing what to say. Comforting her was never particularly easy either...

"They um....they made me...Use the um..Cruciatus...On a girl." It was painfully obvious how hard she was trying to keep her voice level. I sighed, and sat back, pulling her along with me. I wasn't really sure what to say to her.

"Oh....." Was all I could figure. Stellan sunk down on the cushions, leaning into my side, "I'm guessing this is the first time you've done it," I added, more a statement than a question. She nodded, and I did as well, sighing. Even though we'd sat like this plenty of times, I think we were both tense, and awkward, "It gets easier." I turned my head to the side, my lips brushing against her hair. With a sigh, Stella slid her arm around my stomach and shifted onto her side a bit.

"My ears are ringing..." She mumbled, pressing her face into my chest, words muffled by my shirt. I frowned and squeezed her shoulder, not really bothering to ask why.

"Let's get to bed, Stella." I said, sitting up slowly so she followed. She sniffed, nodded, and ran her hands over her face before she turned to look back at me.

"Mine tonight?" She said, raising her eyebrows a little. I fought off a wider smile, but still grinned a little. Most nights we slept in her bed anyway, the curtains drawn and the secluded space it created much too warm. I stood up when she did, and let her take my hand to lead us off to the girls dormitories.
♠ ♠ ♠
GUUUUUH SO OF COURSE I HAVE TO UPDATE BECAUSE I'M JUST SO FULL OF HARRY POTTER EMOTION.
anyway, sorry it's been a while yadda yadda.
THANKS A MILLION TO: SilenceOfStars, Trig-ger, Slytherin.Heiress, kristdel14, lollygagg, Never Looking Back, Codie x Cutthroat, DeadlyOverDose, Reckless, Arie Vixen, KaY.R3iD.GaT3S, WordsLikeMoths, and sleepwalkingmuggle.
(it's been such a hideously long time I can't remember who commented when...)
but anyway, here it is! jfla;sjfjdal;! this is not very good.
-m