Status: Revising & Editing

I Believe That You Belong to Me

Chapter Thirteen

Standing in front of my mirror, I took in my reflection. I didn’t look any different. I still had the same dark brown skin. I still had the same pee colored eyes that hovered over deep dark circles. I still had lips the color of blood, I still had black wavy tresses (my only proud feature) and I still had the disproportioned body that my mother and the world deemed hideous. I only felt different.

I pulled my eyes away from the mirror, not willing to go back and remember why I felt that way. I simply tied my shoes and grabbed my school bag. I skipped breakfast and waited outside for either Bella’s truck or Edward’s Volvo. I waited an equivalent of ten minutes, twice as long as I ever had to wait for a ride and sighed when the realization that I had to walk and that I was going to be late hit me.

I guess I should’ve known. Today just felt like one of those days, one of those days when everything that can go wrong does. Of course I would be late and of course it would start raining as soon as I stepped off my porch.

Stepping back under my porch, I rummaged through my bag to find my emergency umbrella. I had just pulled it up, when I heard a honk.

Looking up, I saw the silver Volvo of the vampire I had once hated. I ran and jumped in, both happy that I wouldn’t have to walk in the rain and pissed that he was late. So to settle both my feelings I gave Bella an unusual and joyful “Good morning” and smacked Edward on his head…or rather I tried to. He caught my hand so quick, you’d think he thought I was diseased.

“Don’t ever do that…” He breathed his eyes holding an intense amount of worry and alarm.

“Sorry…I was only joking.” Even as I apologized, he didn’t release his hold and his facial expressions did not falter.

“Even as a joke, don’t do that. Have you forgotten what I am? You could have broken your hand!” Oh…ok now his face made sense. I should have remembered that, I did run into…into, well anyway and when I did he did feel like a wall.

“Sorry…” I said feeling more than just a little stupid. Edward released my hand grinning as he shook his head.

“I’m sorry for being late, but it was your fault.”

“Oh really how so?”

“You’re the one who told me to have a talk with Bella.”

“Oh, well I see you two are still together,” I smiled, noticing their fingers entwined on the center console.

“See Bella, you were worrying over nothing.” Bella cracked a small smile but otherwise said nothing. I thought this was weird but figured she was embarrassed after she had made a fool of herself and left it at that.

We rode in silence the rest of the ride to school and I couldn’t help, but think it was a little awkward. I dismissed the feeling however, when we arrived at the school. I got out and left the couple before they could show their affection towards each other and pushed myself towards the entrance of the school. My right arm was snatched though, before I could even pray, that today would go by quickly.

When I had stopped moving against my will, I realized I was in front of the red convertible I had grown accustomed to ignoring.

“Ow…” I rubbed my now sore arm and glared at the short, but taller than me, vampire that was responsible.

“Calm down, I didn’t pull you that hard.” She waved my soreness off as an act, but really it did hurt. Of course this wasn’t really due to her pulling my arm and more so because it had been pinned to a wall the day before, but she didn’t know that and I was trying not to know myself. So I blamed it on her.

“Whatever happened to “Hey Ace, come over here for a sec, I want to talk to you” or “Ace come over here” Why the harsh pulling?”

“You wouldn’t have come. You were going to ignore me.”

“Point taken, but still the pulling. I’m human you know.”

“How could I forget.” Alice took in a deep breath of air to emphasize her point. Immediately, I saw her pale gold eyes grow dark. I rolled my eyes at her taunting and even as she laughed, Edward was quick to come between the two of us. His eyes glaring at his smallest sister.

“Alice…” He breathed.

“Don’t threaten her, she wasn’t going to hurt me.” I tried pushing him out of my sight, but he wouldn’t budge.

“How do you know that, can you see the future can you read her thoughts?” He asked not taking his glare away from Alice.

“No, but I have this uncanny ability to know when I’m in danger.” And I just recently discovered I should listen to it more often.

Edward didn’t reply. He did, however, calm down and step away from my line of view. I’d never seen him calm himself that quickly before, he’d always feign calm and still be really angry. Something told me that that meant I should leave and go to class, but something else told me to stay. Just when I thought I had a super power it decides to confuse me.

“Jasper…” Edward spat the name like it was dirt even in his calmed state. Yeah…I should have left.

It was like in slow motion. His name caused my heart to overreact and then stop altogether, when he stepped out of the car. He grabbed Alice in a protective manner, and then I watched as his head, Alice’s head, and Edward’s head turned in my direction. This all meant they could hear my speeding heart and two of them knew the reason why.

Even as I knew I was making a fool of myself, and my cheeks were warm and they more than likely could see…I couldn’t tear my eyes away from him. I couldn’t pull away from his slowly darkening gaze and I couldn’t pull myself out of my stupor. He was even more beautiful than my memories of running into him allowed. His hair looked blonder, his face looked paler, his lips looked…

If it wasn’t for Bella finally catching up to Edward’s side, I may have never pulled out of my trance. My eyes fell to the ground and I felt more ashamed than I ever have for ignoring my mother’s teachings.

“Edward what happened?” Bella asked and Edward ignored her. He was too busy glaring at Jasper to even hear her.

“He’s an idiot, he thought Alice was going to attack me.” I answered for him, wanting so badly to go back and rewrite the ending of last five minutes of the morning.

“You don’t know what she was thinking.” He added finally tearing his eyes away from his angelic brother.

“It couldn’t have been any worse than what you think.” She didn’t try to pin me to a car or a chair.

Hearing my thoughts Edward relaxed on his own accord and apologized to his sister.

“It’s fine. Acerielle, I’ll see you at lunch.” I didn’t agree to that, but even so she whisked off to class with her overly beautiful husband in tow.

“You’ve got it real bad.” Edward joked with his “unjokingly” tone. He was angry again and pretending not to be.

“Shut up.” I could feel my blush deepening and feel my dread to sit with Alice at lunch do the same.

“Am I missing something?” Bella asked.

“She—

“No.” If you tell her, I promise I will find a way to kill you.

And I already have a pretty good idea.

With that said, I left him forcing a smirk and with a confused Bella to make my way to class. I prayed that just this once classes would last longer.

Image


I don’t know whether I should be glad that God listens to my prayers or if I shouldn’t be glad that he listens to my prayers. This morning I did pray that the day would go by quickly and then later retracted the prayer because I did not want to rush to lunch…my first prayer was answered. My second, ignored. I don’t know how I feel about this.

So because God both listens to me and doesn’t listen me, I am now waiting in line with Alice to get my lunch.

I like Alice don’t get me wrong. She’s a fun person who has not once insulted me or made fun of me (my height doesn’t count) and though her scent is worse, it’s easier to get used to than Edward’s. What I don’t like about Alice, well, other than the fact that she is married to the epitome of perfect, was that she ignores my discomfort.

She pulled me to the lunch line when I had told her I wasn’t hungry. She bought me a slice of pizza, an apple and a bottle of water, when I told her I had no money. She even pushed me to the Cullen table when I told her I was perfectly fine with eating alone in the corner.

I didn’t like eating in the cafeteria. I didn’t like sitting by myself and hearing whispers and having fingers pointed at me. I really should be used to it after fifteen years, but I hadn’t quite adjusted to being made fun of, so I avoided it at all costs. Which is why I like spending my free periods in the library; Alice however, saw me doing that and decided to step in.

Because Alice likes to ignore me, I was now wedged between her and Rosalina with a big burly and scary looking vampire staring across at me. Jasper was on Alice’s other side for which I was thankful, I would not have been able to stand sitting across from him.

I didn’t touch my food as I waited for Edward and Bella. I didn’t like how I could feel each of the vampires I sat with staring at me. I couldn’t eat like that. I figured I’d feel a bit more comfortable with another human eating with me. The couple, however, were taking their sweet time.

“Um…hi,” I said to the burly vampire before me. He was staring really hard and making me feel like a strange art piece on display.

He grinned and loosened his gaze, I sighed with relief after that.

“Sorry, I just can’t figure it out.”

“Huh?” I asked. What the heck did he need to figure?

“The kids here talk real bad about you and I don’t understand why. You’re beautiful.”

“Alice told me you were a jokester. I didn’t think you were that harsh though.”

“I’m not. You just can’t take a compliment. The correct thing to say is thank you.” He tried mimicking my voice and he did such a horrible job, I couldn’t help but laugh.

“Ok, thank you.” I said through a fit of laughter. I stopped though, when I realized no one else was laughing and instead the four of them were staring at me with the same shock and annoyance that Edward did. Maybe this was a vampire thing.

“Edward wasn’t lying about that either.” Alice said after her shock wore off.

“I’m sure, so is there any particular reason I’m out here being made fun of and not enjoying a book in the library?”

“We can’t befriend our brother’s friend?” The burly vampire asked his face feigning hurt.

“Um…yes.” I whispered hoping to stop his intense stare.

“Yes, we can’t or yes, we can?”

“Yes, you can.” He grinned and loosened his gaze once again.

“Good, I’m Emmett and this is my wife Rosalie.” He said holding out one hand towards me and grasping the hand of the blonde beside me with the other.

So apparently her name was Rosalie and not Rosalina.

“I’m Acerielle, but I much rather prefer Ace.” I took hold of his cold hand and shook it. I tried doing the same with his wife, but she only glared at my hand. So I ignored her, if she wanted to be like that fine, she smelled awful anyway.

“We’ve met before—actually, you ran into me before, I’m Jasper.” The angel spoke, sending my heart racing again. He reached behind his wife to shake my hand and I forced myself to shake it quickly and let go for the electrical current running through his hand to mine was just too much.

After I had released his hand, I pretended not to notice the curious and or knowing stares that the four of them gave me and tried to start up a conversation. It was hard though, I never was one to start or keep up conversation.

I really wish I knew what was taking Edward and Bella so long.
♠ ♠ ♠
not much to say on this chapter, it kind of sucks, but at least she met the rest of the Cullens

Thank you venture;; sonniesaurus and Crooked Clown for commenting.