Status: Revising & Editing

I Believe That You Belong to Me

Chapter Nine

It took all I had to keep a straight face and keep my thoughts off a certain Cullen/Hale as Edward searched my eyes. His question caught me off guard. I never thought a guy, much less a vampiric guy would ask such a thing. I even tried playing it off by making fun of him, but still he wanted to know. I couldn’t very well tell him what I couldn’t even admit to myself so I…maybe sort of, lied a little bit.

“N-no one.” I didn’t sound all that convincing and because of that he kept staring into my eyes.

Jasper, you like Jasper?” I could tell by his tone, he meant the question to be playful, but the sudden darkness of his eyes and tense voice gave off the air of anger.

“I don’t know a Jasper.” I answered honestly. I don’t know which of the Cullens or Hales are which. I never pay much attention to those sorts of things. I’ve never needed to.

“Jasper, my brother, the one you were thinking about.” The dark tone seemed to grow deeper even as he tried to hide it with a smirk.

I felt embarrassed. I thought I had done a good job of keeping my thoughts away from the angel I had run into a week ago, but as quick as I was to force the thoughts away, Edward was even quicker to read them.

“N-no I don’t. I-I mean I th-think ugh! Don’t tell!!!” I begged.

“Why would I do that? We’re supposed to be friends remember?”

“Yes, but aren’t brotherly bonds closer than those of friends? Promise me you won’t breathe a word or think a word.” I felt bad for liking who I now know as “Jasper” before because I didn’t want to be a hypocrite, for at that time I hated the Cullens, but now I had a new reason all together.

I had never liked a boy before or in this case vampire, but from the stories I heard and cannot shake-off from my mother, liking someone would only cause me harm. For that reason, I cherished never having a crush and that is why I am trying so hard to get rid of the one I currently have, or at least keep it to myself. But now Edward knows.

“I’m the only telepath in my family so you needn’t worry. I promise your secret is safe with me.” Edward’s face had drifted away from the darkness and found new shelter in worry. By now I knew this to mean he’d just listened to my thoughts.

“Acerielle, you need to know that what your mother has taught you is wrong.” He said sitting up and pulling me into his cold lap.

“I want to know that. I want to believe that, but besides you and my father, the rest of the world keeps proving to me that she’s right. It’s hard to fight facts.” Edward sighed with nothing more to say. I pulled away from him and his strange scent and lay back onto the bed that held a less concentrated dose.

“Wake me up before school’s out?” I asked yawning.

Edward nodded and left the room.

When I woke up, I noticed I was no longer in an empty cabin room and I wasn’t in a bed that looked to be from the 1920s. I was in my room and Edward was nowhere to be found. I guess I should’ve figured he'd do that.

Sitting up, I rubbed my eyes and glanced at my bedside clock and saw that it was after three o’ clock. I still had nearly two hours to wait before my dad would come home. It was strange how much I was beginning to miss that man.

I felt my stomach grumble after staring at the wall for five minutes and pushed my-lazy-self down the stairs and into the kitchen. I ate a bowl of cereal, being too lazy to make anything else and headed back into my room.

What I found on my bed when I stepped into my room caused my heart to come to a complete stop. A short, but definitely taller than me and very pale girl was sitting on my bed. I hadn’t heard her come in, but with her pale skin and golden eyes I knew she was a Cullen, therefore I wouldn’t have heard anyway.

Since this female had short flared hair and could possibly be Tinker Bell’s cousin, I figured she was Alice. I may not pay much attention to the socialism of Forks High, but I know enough to know Rosalina and Alice from the other female students.

Once Alice saw me, she jumped or rather soared off the bed and danced her way towards me. She stopped about a foot away from me and because of the close proximity her scent was thrust into my face. And I don’t know why, maybe it was because she was a girl, but her scent was much worse than Edward’s.

There wasn’t a polite way to do it so I just did it. I stepped back and grabbed a nearby shirt to cover my nose.

“Edward wasn’t lying, we do smell to you. I wonder why?” She asked not seeming phased by my rudeness.

“Um…sorry.” I said through the shirt. Alice smiled and waved her hand in the air.

“No it’s ok, it’s better if you stay away. Edward wasn’t lying about how you smell either.” It was then that I noticed her golden eyes had become the obsidian I was growing a little too used to.

Alice pushed me to the bed with her cold fingers and I sat, and then she moved back to my door way seeming more than a little uncomfortable.

“I won’t hurt you, Edward would kill me and then himself, but…wow…” Great. Just great, it’s bad enough that Edward has an abnormal sensitivity to my blood now she does too…I thought God loved me?

“Why are you here?” I asked, trying to ignore the fact that she, like her brother, could attack and that no pain would come to stop her.

“I’ve cleared your absence for today and I brought you your homework. It’s on your desk.” Homework. Yay…

“Thanks, so was I sick or something?” I asked so I’d know how to act tomorrow.

“Yes.”

After a few minutes of silence, and both of us awkwardly looking at everything but each other, she finally suggested we go into my dad’s office where my scent was less present. When we got there I took a seat in my dad’s desk chair while she stood by the window.

“Is there a reason you’re staying?”

“Edward doesn’t want you to be alone and I wanted to meet you.”

“Oh, ok, Well I’m Acerielle Carter, but I prefer Ace” I introduced.

“I’m not going to call you that,” she said giggling, I figured as much. “I’m Alice and as much as you hate your name Ace does not suit you.”

“Why? Because it sounds like a gang leader?”

“That and you’re much too small to be considered an Ace.”

“You do realize you aren’t that much taller than me and I’m only fifteen and I still have a chance to grow?” I defended.

“Yes, but currently Ace just isn’t going to work.” She stated matter-of-factly. I just rolled my eyes having nothing else to say.

“Edward said he was the only telepath in his family, but can you do anything?” It was random, but I was curious and bored.

“I can see the future, but my visions are subjective. If a person changes their mind so will the vision.”

“That’s pretty cool. Anyone else?”

“My husband Jasper is an empath.” The fact that she’d said his name caused my heart to regain the ability to beat, and I prayed she didn’t notice how fast it was going. But the fact that she also said he was her husband only had me delving deeper into my mother’s teachings.

Of course someone that beautiful would only be with someone as equally beautiful. I knew I never had a chance or even the chance of having a chance, what with my looks, but still it hurt to officially hear that he was taken.

“What exactly is that?” I asked trying to keep my hurt and jealousy at bay.

“He can sense emotions and change them at will” I made a mental vow right there, to never ever go in the presence of Jasper.

“Oh, that's interesting.”

“And it’s not so much of a power as much as a trained discipline, but our father Carlisle is immune to the smell of human blood.”

Wow, really? How come he couldn’t be the one that wanted to be my friend?.

For the next two hours I listened to Alice tell me stories about her family and tried to the best of my ability to give her nice information about mine. By the time she’d left I really wanted to meet Emmett and I think I might have even made a new acquaintance.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the late update. Writer's block, and I still haven't completely gotten over it as I'm sure you can tell.

Thank you venture;; & sonniesaurus for the comments

oh and Rosalina was used on purpose