‹ Prequel: Here and Now
Status: Sequel to: Here and Now

Journey

Normal

“No, Mom,” I said for the thousandth time, sighing soon after. I should have never answered the phone.

“Are you at home?” she asked, her voice calmer than usual. I held the phone between my ear and shoulder while reaching into the cabinet.

“Yes, mother,” I mumbled, setting the peanut butter onto the counter. “I’m making Nathan’s lunch. He stayed home because he wasn’t feeling well.” I had to tell her before she asked; I knew Cheryl.

“What’s the matter with him?” she asked quickly, obviously worried. It didn’t bother me that she cared more about him than she did about me at his age. I was just happy that everyone was getting along. “Is he sick? Monroe, did you check his temperature?”

“Mom, I know what I’m doing, okay?” I sighed again, resting my hand on the counter. She couldn’t see me roll my eyes.

“Don’t roll your eyes at me, Monroe.”

Or maybe she could.

I stood up a little straighter and bit back a smile, shaking my head instead. “He barely has a fever, but he’s in the living room watching cartoons.” I could hear a soft laugh from the other room - followed by a cough - indicating that the show he was so focused on wasn’t over yet. Cheryl spoke again as I began to make the sandwich, but I was paying more attention to Tilly who sat in the corner, gnawing on her bone than to the voice on the other end of the line. I said the occasional “uh-huh” or “yeah” at the perfect times, adding an “oh wow” whenever her voice raised a little, letting me know she was at the height of her story. I had gotten good at this.

“He is such an ass sometimes,” she grumbled, her voice final. We all knew that Rodney could be that way. “Anyway,” she said in a chirpier tone. I still felt as though she were semi bi-polar. “The anniversary’s coming up. Six years already?” she stated more than asked, whistling after.

“I know.” I really couldn’t believe it. Nathan would be 11 in April, Sophie 6 in January, and this baby would be coming in 4 months or so. It was so… strange. No matter how hard I tried I could never remember picturing my life the way it turned out. It isn’t perfect, nothing ever is, but it’s amazing, and I would never ask for anything different. “Were you talking to Denise about it again?”

“Of course,” she answered immediately, almost scoffing, like my question was stupid. That’s all Cheryl seemed to do these days though, talk about me and Nick, so I guess it sort of was obvious.

“I don’t even want a party,” I said while putting the stuff away and grabbing the plate for Nathan.

“It’s not a real party,” she tried. “Just family and friends.”

“How is that not a real party then?

“Don’t be so anti-social, Monroe,” she sighed. She started to speak again, but quickly cut herself off to yell something to Rodney in the background. It was hard not to laugh.

“Here you go, bud,” I said softly while pulling the phone away from my ear. Nate looked up with those innocent chocolate eyes, a smile covering his lips. He took the plate from me and readjusted himself on the couch, setting it onto his blanket covered lap. “How’re you feeling?” I ran my fingers through his messy curls, leaning down so my elbows rested on the back of the couch.

“Okay,” he said quietly while turning to glance at me. I watched him take a bite of his sandwich, chewing slowly. It was hard not to smile when you looked at him. “Who are you talking to?”

“Grandma Cheryl. Wanna talk to her?” I wasn’t trying to push her off on him, of course not.

“Okay,” he smiled again, holding out his small hand. I handed him the phone and kissed his warm forehead, giving a sigh.

I maneuvered myself back into the kitchen when Nathan began to talk to Cheryl, busying myself with the few dishes that sat in the sink. It was nice to just finally wind down and relax a little at home, especially since Nate was no trouble at all. And it was barely noon, which meant that I still had a few hours before I had to bring Sophie home; she didn’t have dance class today.

I was getting pretty good at schedules - schedules were practically my life. I knew when Nick went to work and when he almost always got home, give or take a few hours for being early or being late. I knew when Nate and Sophie went to school and when they came home, and when they had dance and soccer practice after school. I wasn’t involved in the school, like some of those PTA moms, but I knew when things were and when I had to be there. Some people called us the “odd” family of the school, mostly because Nick was a rising musician and I worked at the studio. Some of the moms had a story about us, one that had us meeting and conceiving Nathan in my office.

I guess it was better than them saying things about having Nate as a teen.

Nick always told me that what they said didn’t matter because they were a bunch of old cows. So when Nathan got sent to the principle for calling the room-mom an old cow… well, that was Nick’s problem to take on.

I smiled to myself and shook my head, still not quite sure how I ended up with Nick. I remember the first months of our marriage, maybe even the first year, where I kept waking up every morning with the thought of it all being a dream. But when I opened my eyes and Nick was there, so beautiful and peaceful, I knew that this was my life. I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

A cough erupted from the living room and I immediately snapped out of my thoughts. My feet were already shuffling into the room before my thoughts could even process it, marking a motherly instinct I didn’t really know I had. I was always learning. Whenever Nathan got hurt and started crying it felt like I would have a panic attack. I didn’t want him to be in soccer, but Nick insisted because he said he had, and then Nate automatically wanted to play so he could be just like Nick. And then they both gave me that look, so my word pretty much meant nothing.

“Are you okay, bud?” I asked quickly, resting my elbows on the back of the couch like I had before. I glanced down at his lap while I ran my fingers through his hair, smiling when he picked off little pieces of the sandwich to put in his mouth.

“I’m okay,” he nodded, twisting a little to show me his smile, the missing tooth he had making him look even more adorable. “Gramma says she’s gonna call you later,” he then announced, and he reached his small hand up to hold out the phone.

“Of course,” I sighed, taking it from him. I took a moment to just study his features before he turned around, and I wondered when he started growing up so fast. He was already ten years old, already maturing and changing. What happened to the little four year old that carried his Aviator teddy bear around?

I guess though, in a way, he hadn’t changed too much. He still kept Aviator in the first drawer of his dresser, still watched Peter Pan, still looked up to Nick and called us Mommy and Daddy. But now he had a five year old sister to take care of, and a little baby brother or sister on the way. It felt like things were changing so quickly.

“What’re you thinking?” his soft voice interrupted, and I jumped a little. He was turned back around towards me, his soft brown eyes staring up at me with that child-like wonder I think he would always possess. He always seemed so innocent; it made me smile.

“Just that you’ll always be my baby,” I whispered, tweaking with one of his few springy curls, leaving the other ones to stay unruly. He blushed.

“Mom,” he practically whined, but a closed-lip smile quickly overtook his features.

“Nathan,” I giggled. I moved my hand away from his curls and made them dance over his side, getting him to squeal and jerk around, coughing with his laughter.

“Mommy!” he shrieked, his giggles sounding just like they used to. “Mom!” he whined again, and I knew I had to stop. Just because I liked his giggle didn’t mean I had to tickle him until he couldn’t breathe.

When his laughter died down the coughs started up, and I immediately winced. Way to go, Monroe. Make your son cough his brains out.

“Do you want some more cough medicine?” I asked lightly gently rubbing my hand over his clothed back. He was thinner than I liked, but Nick said he would grow into his own. His diabetes had been acting up recently as well, but everyone - including Nick - said it was just a stage.

“N-no,” he coughed, shaking his head wildly with a look of disgust.

“I think you need some more. It’s been over two hours…”

He groaned and dropped his head to the back of the couch, his chest deflating with a sigh. He made no move to complain though, so I took that as my cue and hurried into the kitchen. I could hear the volume on the TV rise while I reached for the bottle that I had left on the counter, but just as I was about to set the phone down to grab a spoon it began to ring, and I practically dropped it. My eyes immediately trailed over the screen and I let out a sigh when I saw it was Joe.

“Hello?” I answered quickly, grabbing the spoon and the bottle as I made my way back into the living room. I was tempted to turn the TV down so I could hear, but Joe was loud enough.

“Whoa, you actually answered? And to think I actually had my message planned out this time…” he chuckled, and I smiled in return. Your mood always seemed to be lifted when talking to Joe. It was strange. “I didn’t think you’d actually be home.”

“Nathan wasn’t feeling well,” I explained again. Nate turned at the mention of his name, his eyes trailing over the bottle I was trying to open like it were something harmful. I rolled my eyes. “Why did you call if you thought I wouldn’t be home?”

“I dunno,” he answered, and I instantly knew he was eating something. “Well, actually I called because Friday marks 6 years that you and my brother have been married.” I rolled my eyes, but the smile came anyway.

“Thanks for reminding me. I would’ve forgotten otherwise,” I chuckled. I held the phone between my shoulder and ear as Joe laughed along, focusing on not spilling the medicine while taking the lid off. Nathan held the spoon reluctantly and, with both hands, made sure not to spill it as I poured. I waited for him to slip it into his mouth before I smiled.

“Minnie, Minnie, Minnie,” Joe chuckled. “I guess you’ll be pregnant again within the next five years?”

“Ha-ha, Joe,” I snorted, but I couldn’t stop from blushing.

“What?” I could just sense his amusement. I grabbed the spoon from Nate’s small hand and capped the medicine again, placing a kiss to his curly head. “You do know that Nick expects ten kids before you reach forty, don’t you?”

The heat rose to my cheeks at his comment, but it was followed by a grimace; I did not want to think about being forty. I’m pretty sure he sensed that because the silence I left was now filled with his laughter, and I found myself smiling again.

“Joe,” I huffed, carrying myself around the couch to face Nathan. “Did you really call just to remind me about something that I could never forget?”

I had to balance the phone by my ear and the spoon and medicine in my hand before I could even think about reaching forward to help cover Nate up. He lifted up without command to allow my access to the large blanket and helped pull it over him, sitting still so I could wrap it around him more securely.

“Nah. I actually called to ask if you could pick up Andy and Joey tomorrow and take them to yours for a while. Clarissa has to stay late at the store to do some inventory and I’m picking up overtime.”

It wasn’t unusual for Joe and Clarissa to need Nick and me as a babysitter. Clarissa had her own little clothing shop in town, and it did surprisingly well in business. She even took some of the clothes home for me to wear, which I tried to refuse but Nick always insisted that I keep them - especially the lingerie. He wasn’t too subtle about it, either. And then Joe had been picking up more hours for the extra pay. Nick said it was because the twins ate just as much as their dad, and apparently that was pretty bad.

“Sure, not a problem,” I answered as soon as I started back toward the kitchen. Joey and Andy were Sophie’s age and, just like Nate and Grace, were pretty close. I thought it was good for them to be around Sophie, especially since she was so shy and Joey and Andy weren’t. They definitely took after both Joe and Clarissa.

“Thanks, Minnie,” he said sincerely, “I really appreciate it.”

“It’s nothing, Joe. Really.”

I set the spoon in the sink and placed the medicine back in the cupboard, glancing over to see a sleeping fur ball in the corner: Tilly. She’d have to wait until tomorrow for her walk.

“Good. They keep talking about how they miss Auntie Minnie and Uncle Nicky,” he chuckled. It was easy to picture Joe’s movie-star grin, and even easier to smile along.

Joe and Clarissa had decided to stay close by after they found out she was pregnant. I had to admit that having Clarissa around with both of us pregnant was a relief, especially since I had felt so alone with Nathan. But Nick was there for Sophie and he was here for this baby, and it actually felt right. But that was beside the point. Having Joe close by when Kevin was a few hours away gave Nick a sort of comfort, I knew. He wouldn’t admit it, but I knew that he would always need Joe, because in a way he was more like a father figure than his own.

But everyone was on good terms. That’s all that really mattered.

“Sure. They just like coming over because Nick somehow draws kids in.”

“I don’t even know how,” Joe grumbled playfully, and I had to laugh.

“Are you jealous of your brother, Joe?” I managed as I washed my hands, glancing up at the clock. Nick said he would call.

“Nooo!” he drug out; I rolled my eyes. “I just don’t know when he turned into a child magnet. I kinda always knew he was a chick magnet, but not a child one.”

Chick magnet. Great.

“Besides,” he went on enthusiastically, “he needs all the practice he can get if he’s gonna have ten kids. Might as well start with mine.”

“We’re not having ten kids, Joe.” I was full-out laughing now.

“I’m telling Nick! You just crushed his dream.”

“Joe-” I started, but a beep sounded and I instantly paused.

“Speak of the devil, huh?” he inquired, probably raising his eyebrows too. I sighed. “I’ll call you guys later, kay? Don’t forget to tell Nick about the trouble two-some coming over tomorrow, Minnie.”

“Alright, Joe,” I chuckled breathily before the beep sounded again. “Bye.” I switched the call over after he sang his goodbye and muttered a ‘hello,’ not quite sure if I had been tricked into answering Cheryl’s call of not.

“Hey, Minnie Mouse,” my favorite voice murmured smoothly in return, and my lips instantly spread into a smile. “What’re you up to?”

“Just got off the phone with your brother, actually.” I laughed when he sighed.

“He calls just as much as your mom, I swear…”

“Well, this call actually had a point,” I giggled, making him chuckle in return. “Joey and Andy are coming home with Soph tomorrow.”

“Really?” he asked, but it was more of a statement. Nick loved the “trouble two-some,” as they put it. Joey definitely took after Joe, that was for sure. “Well, Minnie Mouse, looks like you’ve got yourself a full house tomorrow.” I paused for a moment, my eyes widened while I pictured that smirk.

“Oh, no, Mister. No you don’t. I think it’s only fair that you’re here to help out.” Watching Nathan wasn’t bad at all, especially when he was sick, and Sophie was hardly any trouble, unless she decides to color on the walls again. But having to watch two hyper-active 5 year-olds while being pregnant was just a little much.

“Don’t worry, babe,” he said softly after a moment, and I sighed when those butterflies returned. “I, uh… I actually have tomorrow off.”

“Oh?” Not only did I question his words, but his tone, too.

“Yeah,” he mumbled, clearing his throat. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, holding half of my attention to Nathan as I craned my neck to see the top of his curls from over the couch. “I have a couple days off, actually.”

“Wow.” I could feel the smile returning, widening at the news. Nick hadn’t had many days off recently, especially with all the cramming he did for his album that was coming out supposedly this weekend. No one had told us what the next step would be - I guess no one really knew. “That’s great.”

“Yeah,” he chuckled; it seemed a little nervous. Just as I was about to speak, though, he continued, his tone a little brighter. “I was thinking that we can start on Nate’s room tomorrow, you know?”

“Right!” I practically shouted, my blush returning when he laughed that musical laugh. “I mean, we promised Nathan we’d get it done. We’ve had the paint in the garage for about a week now, and he wants you to put his desk together…”

“I can do that tomorrow, before the animals come in.” And I knew that smirk was back.

“You do realize that you just called your daughter an animal, don’t you?” I laughed, leaning back against the counter.

“She takes after her mommy,” he nearly whispered, and I immediately flushed. Biting back a smile I shook my head, letting the silence take over for a moment while my eyes scanned over the TV in the living room. Nathan still hadn’t changed the channel, his eyes glued to the TV as he coughed occasionally. “So, how’s the kid doing?” he finally asked, some amusement still present in his voice. I just wanted to see his face.

“I think he’s doing okay he had a slight fever, but his cough is the bad thing. I gave him some more medicine.”

“Ask him if he wants to talk to me,” he requested. I rolled my eyes.

“Nick, you know he does.” I think sometimes he just wanted to hear it, like he didn’t believe that he was a good father. It was insane. “He practically worships you.”

“I don’t think I’m there enough,” he almost whispered after a moment of hesitation. I could hear him shuffle around for a moment before he spoke again, his voice still soft. “At least I was there at first, before things started taking off. But now…” I waited for him to finish, but he didn’t. It was sort of unlike him and it made me wonder if there was something else bothering him.

“He knows you’re busy, Nick. He understands that more than Sophie does…”

“But being busy is no excuse.” I could hear the sudden sharpness in his tone, so I stayed quiet. “My dad… my dad was always busy, you know, Minnie Mouse? And…”

I let a sigh fall from my lips before I shut my eyes, slouching my whole body against the counter. Nick was better - he had been for around 7 years now, but no matter how hard he tried to erase all the memories everyone knew it was impossible. And more and more lately, with all the stress, he was starting to think that he wasn’t good enough.

“You said your dad wasn’t there a lot, that he threw himself into work… but Nick, you aren’t doing that. You make time to watch movies with Nathan at night, and you make time to play with Sophie. And you make time for me. Things are kind of fast right now, you know? Work, kids, the new baby… but once your album comes out I’m sure that things will start slowing down.” He was silent for a moment, probably taking in my words, but it still made me nervous. Why was he being so hesitant? “Right?”

“Right,” he said lowly. If I didn’t know any better I’d say that he was trying to convince himself rather than agree; but maybe I really didn’t know any better. “Hey, I have to get going soon, so-”

“I’ll put Nathan on the phone.”

“I love you, Monroe,” he said seriously, and that smile was back while I walked into the living room.

“I love you too, Nick.”

Nathan’s head snapped around suddenly, his mouth slightly open as he stared at me.

“Want to talk to-”

“Yes,” he interrupted, nodding almost furiously with his hand outstretched.

“Told you he’d want to talk to you,” I murmured, and I could almost feel his relief.

“See you soon,” was his happy reply.

I repeated his words before handing the phone over to Nathan before he could uncover himself fully, lingering for a moment just so I could see his face light up with excitement as soon as Nick said hello.

Things were good.

[J O U R N E Y]

“Mom,” I groaned for what had to be, quite literally, the twentieth time. “Look, I’m a little too busy to talk.”

“What are you doing?’ she questioned nosily. I pushed back the urge to groan again and focused on the meat I was cooking instead. I wasn’t the best cook in the world, but I was learning and Nick had taught me a few things. I decided to try cooking something before he got home; hopefully I didn’t burn the house down because of Cheryl’s distractions.

“I just finished helping Sophie with her homework. I put Nathan to bed before that because his fever rose, but now I’m cooking. So I’d appreciate it if-”

“Well, I understand,” she cut me off, “but this is important news!” I cringed.

“What now, mom?” I didn’t tell her that I was trying to make the meat into a circle with one hand because, if I did, then she’d stay on the phone to lecture me about something she knows nothing about.

“It’s about the party on Friday.”

“Mom!” I wanted to slam my head against the stove. “That can wait! It’s only Tuesday. And it’s just an anniversary party-”

“It’s still a party, Monroe. My goodness.”

Wait… wasn’t she the one who said it wasn’t even really a party?

“And, anyway, I want to know what you’re wearing.”

I thought I’d wear a tent, mother. You know, since I swallowed a basketball.

“Why does that matter? I’m wearing clothes.”

“Monroe, would you please try to act like you care? I know you aren’t the most fashion savvy person out there-” Ouch “-but I do think this is sort of important.”

“I don’t know… what do you-” I cringed when a sudden crash sounded, immediately dropping the food onto the counter and tightening my fingers around the phone. “Sophia Emily, what are you doing?!” I shouted into the other room, pausing to let my heart slow down before I sighed and headed off into the other room, ignoring Cheryl’s blabbering. “Sophie, where are you?” I called out slowly again, stopping at the edge of the stairs. I heard shuffling from close by though, and I instantly knew she was in the “play” room.

Every room seemed to be their play room, though.

I stepped away from the stairs and moved down the narrow hallway with purpose, pushing open the only door that was ajar. And there, on the floor, sat Sophie… an array of colorful liquid spilled all over the carpet. My mouth dropped open and my eyes widened as soon as the sight settled into my brain, and I couldn’t help but gasp.

“Sophia Emily Jonas, what did you do?!” I yelled again, shock over taking me. She looked up at me with her dark green eyes, the brown in them looking brighter due to the haziness of them.

“I’m sorry, momma!” she cried out, her little bottom lip pouted out to the fullest.

“Oh, Sophie…” I could still hear Cheryl, but I completely ignored her and set the phone on the table, biting down harshly on my lip. “Sophie, what am I gonna do-”

“What’s all the-” I heard suddenly, and I immediately spun around to see Nick there, frozen in the doorway. His chocolate eyes darted around the rainbow carpet…

Carpets are not rainbow.

“Oh, shit,” he hissed, his full lips parting. I didn’t even have time to scold him for the word because Sophie’s cries immediately started again. “What the hell happened in here?”

“I don’t know. I just heard something, and then I come in and… and the carpet is rainbow!” This was more stress than I needed. “And you’re home early again.” I could see his lips twitch a little when his eyes met mine, obviously amused that he could distract me so easily, but his attention was soon taken away when Sophie whaled again, falling into the wet paint. Now her clothes were rainbow, too.

“Sophie,” Nick sighed, his shoulders falling. I watched him move forward and bend down, careful not to set his knees in the drying paint. “Sophie, stop it right now. There’s no reason for you to cry.” He reached out and grabbed her small shoulders gently, carefully pulling her away from the paint to rest her dry side into his chest.

“I-I’m sorry, Dad-ddy.” She continued to cry while she clutched to him, her wide eyes staring up into his own soft ones.

“Yeah, baby, I know. But what did mommy tell you?” He kept his voice stern, softening it almost automatically because Sophie and Nathan were his weaknesses.

“Mommy s-said not to p-play with the colors unless I asked-ed.”

“And you didn’t do that, did you?” he questioned. She pouted in return. “Did you, Sophie?” he urged, placing his thumb underneath her little round chin so she would look straight at him.

“No, Daddy,” she whispered, sniffling.

“There’s no way I can get that out,” I sighed, only now aware enough to take a step forward. There was something about Nick and the way he handled things, especially with the kids, that always sort of put me in a daze - just wanting to watch. “I’ll have to call someone out to clean the carpet…” Nick glanced up at me then while he hugged Sophie to him, nodding in agreement, but he quickly stopped and sighed again.

“I’ll try to get it out.”

“I think you have enough to do, Nick,” I chuckled, taking another step forward. He reached out for my hand when I was close enough, immediately lacing our fingers together and pulling me down to my knees beside him.

“I think you should apologize to mommy, Sophia Emily,” Nick said sternly again, and she gulped. Her eyes trailed over to me with that apologetic innocence, and she pulled away from her daddy enough to stand on her own.

“I’m sorry, mommy. I didn’t mean tooo.” I had to smile at the way she drug the word out.

“I know, baby.” She fell into me as soon as I held my arm out, and I hugged her close. “But I think you should go to your room now, let us clean up.”

She pulled away and nodded slowly, keeping her eyes away from both of us while she trudged to the door, her thick curls bouncing against her back. She hesitated by the door and turned her head, her cheeks burning when she caught us watching her, and she practically darted out the door and up the stairs. It took a lot in me not to laugh.

“I should’ve been watching her,” I breathed out then, slowly turning to face him. “I was trying to cook… and Cheryl was on the phone-” I immediately paused and glanced up to the phone that sat on the table. I wondered if she was still on the phone. She had to hang up by now.

“Accidents happen, right?” he inquired, raising his thin eyebrows.

“I hate accidents. Especially ones I could've prevented.”

He let out a soft laugh and pulled me closer to him, wrapping his arms around my waist as we continued to kneel on our knees. I could feel his palms press against my back when he clasped his hands together, tilting his head a little to look at me. He still had his old leather jacket on, the sleeves pushed up to his elbows, and his curls were still longer than he liked and messy, but it made me smile. I felt a little giddy inside, but it was nothing new.

“Always the uptight woman,” he mused, his lips stretching into a smirk that showed the dimple-like creases around his mouth. I gave him a smile of my own.

“Well? How else should I be?”

“Well, whatever you are, I think it’s only fair that you give me a kiss. I haven’t seen you in-” he paused suddenly, pulling one arm away to glance down at his watch. I held back my giggle and watched him instead, admiring the way his eyes narrowed a little before he glanced back up at me “6 and a half hours.”

“And ten minutes…” I mumbled teasingly, getting his cheeks to tint. But he leaned forward anyway, teasing me in his own way by hovering his lips over mine.

“Fifteen seconds…” he breathed, barely inches away. “Sixteen, seventeen, eighteen…”

“Nick,” I hissed, leaning forward, but he pulled back just as my lips grazed his.

“I thought I’d make it an even twenty,” he smirked again.

“I’m pretty sure you failed, Mr. Jonas. It’s past twenty seconds now.”

“Well, that won’t do,” he said sternly again, the sparkle of amusement never leaving his eyes. I think I gulped a little, and I also think that he could tell how nervous he was making me. Six years of marriage and still I was affected by him. “That just won’t do,” was what he whispered again before his lips smashed against mine, making me melt into him. He jerked me forward in a swift motion and held me as close as he could, allowing one of my hands to snake up into his unruly curls.

His hands slid down my back and down to my hips, sliding his fingers up underneath the loose shirt to curl his fingers around the belt loops of my jeans. My lips felt like they were aching against his, only tingling when he pressed a firmer kiss to them, his tongue grazing through to meet mine. I moved my other arm around to press into his back right before he pulled my legs out from under me, making me gasp into his mouth as I fell to my side, though he cradled me from hurting myself. He didn’t, however, cradle my hair from the still-wet paint on the floor.

“Nick,” I groaned, my cheeks flushing even more when he lifted. It took him a second to swing his leg over me and lean back down, attaching his lips to my neck and roaming them over my skin with alluring kisses. “N-nick… my hair, and… and the rug…” I tried, but my eyes fluttered shut when he lifted his attack, leaving my lips to part underneath his before.

“Mhm,” he mumbled, but he didn’t seem to care considering the fact that his hands slipped up my sides, his thumbs grazing over my raised stomach.

“And… and the door is open, Nick!” I gasped, biting down on my lip when his mouth trailed down my jaw and back over my neck. “Nathan could walk right in, or-or Sophie!”

“That’s right, isn’t it?” he murmured thoughtfully, but his voice held no indication of him actually caring. I gulped.

“N-Nick…” I sighed, forcing my eyes to stay open despite the attack his soft lips were leaving on my neck. “I’m pregnant.”

“I know,” he uttered, slowly lifting himself up so his face was leveled with mine. “I’m pretty sure that was my doing, wasn’t it?” I blushed again when he smirked, trailing his lips back down over my neck until he reached a bare spot on my shoulder; I shivered when he grazed his nose over my skin.

“And, uh.. I-I think I left the stove on! Nick, I have… have to…” My sentence was interrupted when his hands trailed down to my thighs, gripping them lightly but firmly enough to tug me forward until his body was pressed against mine. He did it on purpose because he knew the reaction he’d get, and he did - I moaned.

“Mmm, Minnie Mouse,” he practically purred, his fingers toying with the button on my shirt. “You talk too much.”

“Nick,” I gasped out again, but his lips were quick to cover mine, a low growl rippling through his chest. We both froze when a muffled voice sounded highly.

“Oh my god, Rodney! I think they’re having sex!”

I immediately shot up and pushed Nick off me, getting him to hit his back with an ‘oomph.’ The humiliation of Cheryl hearing that would never go away, especially since she’d bring it up every time now.

“Mom, for goodness sakes!” I practically shouted, my heart still pounding from Nick’s actions. I scrambled to my feet while pulling my shirt down, resting on hand on my stomach while I snatched up the phone with the other. My eyes trailed over Nick then, his body sprawled out with his curls spilling onto his forward, a mixture of annoyance and amusement plastered over his face. I looked away with embarrassment. “Why are you still on the phone?”

“I wanted to know what all the yelling was about!” she protested, like it was an obvious answer. “But clearly I interrupted!” Cheryl had a way with talking at a more than necessary volume on the phone.

“Clearly is right,” Nick muttered sarcastically, and Cheryl let out a genuine laugh.

“Sorry, Nicholas.”

He bobbed his head up and down in a lazy nod as if she could see, sighing while he flopped himself down, only to groan when his head hit one of the paint bottles. I heard him mutter damn under his breath.

“Do you need something? I still don’t know why you called in the first place!”

“Oh, calm down, babe,” she hissed, no doubt rolling her eyes. “You see? Now I don’t remember what I was going to say!”

And that was my fault?

“You know what? I’ll just call you back when I think of it.”

“Great!” I murmured. “Talk to you then, mom.” I didn’t give her time to answer before I hung up with a huff, blowing the stray hair out of my face. I groaned when I remembered that there was now paint in it.

“Calm down, Minnie Mouse,” Nick breathed, grabbing my attention. I watched him stand and wipe his hands on his tight pants, my eyes trailing up to meet his with an almost comfort. But then he smirked. “You can have me later, don’t worry.”

“Oh, shut up!” I hissed, but the laugh was undeniable and so was my blush.

“I’m being serious though,” he muttered after a moment, and he was suddenly in front of me, his hands gently resting on my face. “Breathe.”

“I’m fine,” I sighed, but I knew he was right. He gave me a knowing look and gently combed his fingers through my hair, giving me those puppy-dog eyes. A slow smile spread across my lips. “How was your day, anyway?” He looked at me for a long moment before dropping his gaze, lifting his hand up to his neck, dropping it before he even touched his skin.

“It was okay. Just talked about details…” Details? “How’s Nathan?”

“He’s okay. I put him to bed earlier, though. His fever was back.”

Nick sighed. “I’ll tell him about his room when he wakes up then. Maybe it’ll make him feel better?”

“I think so,” I grinned. I leaned myself forward and rested my head on his shoulder, burying my face into his neck so I could breathe in his scent. I felt his hand back on my hip while the other rested comfortably between us, right on my stomach.

“And maybe I should cook…”

I had to laugh.

“No, no. I got it… let’s just pick this stuff up and I’ll get on the food.” I nodded towards the bottles that sat on the carpet, probably half of their contents emptied onto the carpet. He pressed a kiss to my temple and mumbled an agreement, sighing heavily before leading us forward.

I guess maybe this was even normal for us.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, I know; it's been FOREVER since I've updated Nonroe, but I've been in the mood for them lately. This chapter sucks though, I am aware of that. It's pretty pointless, but it's leading somewhere.

Still, I hope you enjoy it. (: I'm looking forward to comments?

<3.Taylor

Oh, and I'm sorry for any mistakes. I've been trying to write all day and I'm just too lazy now.