My Prayers Have Made It Through

1/1

War was not something I agreed with. I see no point in why people need to die to ‘serve their country’. What does it even prove? Nothing. Why do so many people have to die, that don’t deserve it, just because the countries are pissed off at each other.

If anything, the rulers of the countries should be fighting. Not innocent people that have family and loved ones back home. People that had no say in what to do. They had no say in if it was right or wrong. They are just forced to aim and shoot.

I never believed in God either. But lately, I have been praying. Praying that all of this will come to and end. That war will never happen again. That no one has to die for something so obscene as this.
And I pray that I can go home and hold my wife and daughter. That is one thing that I pray the most about.

“Baker!” A voice boomed bringing me out of my thoughts. I lifted my head and looked at the man standing at the end of the row of beds.

“Mail,” he said holding up a white envelope. I smiled and got up, walking towards him. He handed me the envelope and smiled then proceed to call other names.
I looked down at the envelope as I walked back to my bed, if you could even call it that. I sat back down and turned the envelope over, slowly tearing the seal apart.

I pulled out the paper inside and unfolded it, smiling when I saw my wife’s handwriting graze the paper.
I felt my heart flutter and a smile formed on my face.

Dear Zack,
I love you and miss you dearly.
How are you doing over there? I sent a care package for you, with some things from the guys, girls and Alyvia. They all send their love, and Alyvia misses you just as much as I do. She asks when you are coming home every day. It hurts to tell her that I don’t know.

You know my beliefs and everything, but I have been praying Zack. Praying that nothing bad will happen to you, or anyone else out there. And that everyone will come home safe.
I just need you to come home Zack. I love you.
These letters help, the calls help, the web cam helps. But nothing compares to you being here, holding me. Telling me you love me in my ear, kissing me, laughing at my stupid antics.

It is killing me Zack. It really is. I told myself that I would be strong and that the time would just fly by and you would be home with us. But it’s not. It’s painfully creeping by.
But I will be strong, as strong as I can be. Because I know you will be coming home soon. I know that nothing will happen and you will be able to see your daughter grow up, and we can have more, and you can watch them grow up as well.

But, I'm making it through. It's been far too long, we've proven our love over time's so strong, in all that we do.

I cannot wait until you come home. I love you with every fiber of my body.

Love always and forever,
Nichole


I wiped the tears from my eyes and read over the letter once more before setting it on the bed and pulling out the pictures.

I smiled softly when I saw a picture of Nichole and Alyvia cuddled up on the couch. Nichole wearing one of my Army shirts, Alyvia tucked into her side fast asleep, while Nichole softly kissed her head. I turned it over.
An empty spot next to us, just screaming your name.

The next one was of Alyvia with her backpack on, lunch box in hand, standing outside.
First day of school!

The next was one of everyone. They were all standing outside around Nichole, who was sitting at the table with a cake in front of her.
I’m getting old… ha!

The last one was one just of Nichole. She had cut up one of my shirts so it was hanging off of her shoulder. She was standing in front of the bed in just that. It came up to the middle of her thigh. She was holding up one side of the shirt, showing off her naked hip, as part of the shirt came down and showed the top of her breast.
Only for you. <3

I smiled and tucked everything back in the envelope and pulled out the tin box from under my bed. I put in the combo and placed the letter right on top. I smiled and closed it, making sure it was locked.

She had always sent me pictures like that. One of her and Alyvia, everyone, then a private one just for me, knowing that it kills me. But I still loved it. Her letters keep me warm, they help me through the storm

I was shaken from my thoughts when I felt the ground shake and airplanes overhead.

“We’re under attack!” Someone yelled. I put on my helmet, grabbed my gun and followed everyone.

- - - -

“Momma, Is daddy coming home today?” Alyvia asked looking up at me with her bright green eyes. I sighed and ran my fingers through her dark hair.

“I don’t know baby,” I said pulling her close to me.

“I really miss him momma. Can we call him?” she asked resting her head on my chest.

“No baby, he has to call us. He is really busy,” I said looking down at her. She just nodded and snuggled into my chest. I sighed and flipped through the channels, trying to avoid the news channels as much as I could.

My phone started vibrating on my lap. I smiled as I saw the weird number show up, knowing that it was Zack.

“Hey babe,” I said softly.

“Hello to you too,” he said, laughing.

“How are things?” I asked, running my hand through Alyvia’s hair.

“Good as they can be over here. But…I have some news…” he said, sounding sad.

“You have to stay longer…?” I asked, just guessing that’s what he meant.

“Actually…we are leaving!” he said loudly. I screamed and jumped up, totally forgetting about Alyvia, Who thankfully didn’t fly off the couch.

“When? How? What?!” I asked running a hand through my hair. He just laughed at me.

“Two days. We are pulling out babe. Haven’t you heard? It’s over babe. All this bullshit is over!” he said. I just grinned from ear to ear.

“Thank god! I said happily into the phone.

“I know! Now, let me talk to our daughter. I love you Nichole. After all this time, I’m coming home to you,” he said. I smiled and sat back down.

“I love you too Zack,” I said and handed the phone to Alyvia.

“Daddy!” she yelled into the phone. I just smiled and started to daydream.

He was finally coming home. After a year and a half, he was finally coming home. My prayers have made it through.

- - -

As I waited to get off the plane, I couldn’t help but feel gitty. After almost 2 years, I am going to be able to finally hold my wife in my arms, and I finally get to hold my daughter.

My leg bounced up and down as I waited for the doors to open. I looked around at all the guys. They looked like me, anxious.

“Welcome home boys,” the sergeant said as the doors opened. All of us jumped to our feet. I lifted my bag onto my shoulder and started to walk off the plane. We all walked down the hallway, hearing voices coming from the end.

I started walking faster as the voices got louder and louder. I smiled as I stepped out of the hallway. I looked around, trying to find Nichole. The smile on my face grew even wider as I saw her with Alyvia in her arms, running towards me. I set down my bag and opened my arms. She threw herself into my arms, careful not to hurt Alyvia. I wrapped my arms around her and buried my head into her neck.

“Oh my god…” She said softly into my chest. I smiled and pulled back. I placed both my hands on her cheeks and looked into her eyes.

“I’m home,” I said softly, then I leaned down and kissed her softly. I felt her tears touch my lips. I pulled away and wiped them.

“Don’t cry babe, I’m here, I’m finally here,” I said. She just smiled and nodded. I looked over at my daughter and smiled.

“Hey there babe,” I said scooping her out of her mother’s arms.

“Daddy,” she said softly, and leaned her head on my shoulder. I smiled and kissed the side of her head.

Nichole smiled at us as I lifted up my bag and wrapped her free hand around my waist.

“Lets go home,” she said. I just nodded and kissed her lightly again. She dropped her arm from around my waist and linked out fingers together. We headed out of the airport, away from everything. Away from the war, the killing and away from the cries of men and women.

My prayers did make it though.