Status: 3 part contest entry.

A Thousand Angels Dance Around You

2

Annie was fine and very in labor. Brian had a minor concussion and six stitches along his hair line where he had managed to cut himself.

The three of us, along with all of our friends and family in the waiting room were waiting for Annie to be allowed to push.

“Ok, Ms. Sanders you are fully dilated and ready to push,” smiling at the three of us, Brian and I on either side of Annie as she stared at the doctor not really registering what was happening the doctor set it so her legs were up and Brian and I each grabbed a hand. “Ok, I want you to take a deep breath like you’re going to dive under water and push on the count of three,”

Watching her chest rise as she took a breath, I couldn’t stop my nerves from rising. Soon Brian and I were going to be dads and Annie of course would argue that we were dads when we found out she was pregnant, but that was beside the point any minute now, our baby was going to come into the world.

Brian and I didn’t know who was cutting the cord when it came to it, maybe there would be a way for both of us to cut the cord. I didn’t even want to fathom the amount of pain the drugless Annie was going through right now, but if it was anything like that on my fingers I had some idea.

“Congratulations, you have a beautiful little girl,” putting the baby on Annie’s chest, I moved closer to look at her, Brian doing the same.

“She’s beautiful,” laughing hysterically at the two of us as we gushed over our daughter in synch; Annie shut her eyes the heart monitor going haywire before stopping completely.

“She’s crashing; I need a crash cart in here. I am going to have to ask the two of you to step out.” The doctor ran to the door, a nurse sweeping our daughter off of Annie and out of the room another ushering Brian and I out.

Why was Annie crashing?

I was pacing the floor outside Annie’s room. Brian was sitting there just staring off; it was just his way of coping. Val had to take Matt away he was so worried.

“Mr. Baker, Mr. Haner. Ms. Sanders is doing fine now, we suggest no more children as labor was just too much for her small frame. If she does want more children, I advise c-sections.
But you can go on in now. Your daughter well be in momentarily,” offering a reassuring smile, Brian wrapped his arm around me dropping a kiss to my smiling mouth before he led me into the room.

Annie was sleeping a small smile etched on her pale skin. When a nurse came in pushing our little girl she checked the bracelet on the baby’s foot to the one on Annie’s wrist before nodding at the two of us and leaving the room.

Running my fingers through Annie’s hair as I watched Brian pick up our daughter I almost laughed at his expression. It was so awe filled and was swimming in love.

“She’s so tiny,”

Looking down at Annie when she let out a sigh, “Did I dream her?”

“No Princess, we have an angel”