Status: In slow progress. :)

Angel's Wish

Heaven's City

I wildly rotated my head, trying to discover the source of the voice. It seemed faraway, but because of my distorted hearing, it was probably closer than I thought. Aradrian just stood calmly in front of me, though his eyes were alert and watchful. Then a shadow in the mist caught my eye to my right. Slowly I turned my head to the shadow, awaiting the unknown person’s arrival.

As the person approaches, I noticed a mist-dimmed glow surrounding them. Finally the man revealed himself. He seemed to be around his forties, and to my eyes was the most beautiful person I’ve ever seen- until I saw his feet. I hadn’t noticed before but it seemed that angels didn’t wear shoes. The mysterious angel’s feet were humongous. He could be Bigfoot for all I knew. Also, they were nauseatingly hairy. I felt my face beginning to turn green and focused my attention back to his face. A halo illuminated his hair and face in a pleasant light, but oddly he didn’t have wings. I turned to Aradrian to ask him about it, but I noticed he no longer had wings either. I figured that angels only displayed their wings when in use.

The man spoke again, “You’ve had quite a rough flight, Aradrian. And you also took quite a few bumps yourself Crystabelle. You two must be exhausted. Follow me, we have prepared furnished rooms for the both of you so that you may rest fitfully. Tomorrow will be a long day.”

The angel turned and began walking away, and Aradrian stepped forward obediently. I stayed rooted to the spot. Aware that I wasn’t reacting, Aradrian turned around and beckoned me to follow. The man realized there was no one trailing him and turned to see what was wrong. He smiled warmly.

“How forgetful of me,” he said. “I haven’t introduced myself.

“My name is Rimyth, an Archangel of His Greatness. I’ve been sent by Him to welcome you to our community here in Heaven.” He gave a graceful bow as he introduced himself. “Don’t worry, I won’t harm you, and no harm will befall you in Heaven either.”

Despite his reassuring words I had turned white as a sheet. “H-Heaven?” I stuttered. I had always known this was where Aradrian was taking me but… “Am I dead?” I asked, regaining my colour and dignity.

“I see you’ve told her very little Aradrian,” Rimyth chided. Aradrian reddened. “No, Crystabelle, you are very much alive. As is Aradrian here. I, on the other hand, am not among the living on Earth, but am very much alive up here.” I looked blank. “Come, explanations will be given once you are cleaned and rested.”

He began to walk away again. Reluctantly, I followed. The walk seemed short, but in truth took us an hour. Time seemed to bend in the white world that was the outskirts of Heaven. In truth, the whole world we were on was Heaven, but most only use it as reference to the City of God. I wondered how large the so called city could be, because many of the dead must inhabit it, and the number of souls was virtually uncountable.

Nearing the end of our journey, I saw a large golden light, similar to that of Aradrian’s and Rimyth’s halos, but theirs were dull and bland in comparison to this light. As we neared it, the light took the form of a gate, an enormous gate of light that was as large as the Eiffel tower, larger even. Intricate designs were imprinted in the light, golden vines winding around the vast bars of light. It was the Gate of Heaven. I gawped at the wondrous sight we were approaching.

It took several minutes to arrive at its front. I was sure the Gate’s light would blind me, or at least make me turn away like the sun does, but instead, I could stare at it without it overwhelming my vision.

“We’re here,” Rimyth announced.

“Home sweet home,” Aradrian added.

Moments later, the Gate of Heaven began to open, revealing the realm within. Despite its massive size, it only took less than a minute for the Gate to open.

The City of God was even more impressive and awing than the Gate. Most of everything in City was immaculate and bright. The walkways were made of beautiful marble, silver fountains spouted crystalline water and large alabaster buildings were built stunningly, the architecture far better than any on Earth. People dressed mostly in white wandered the wondrous city happily and in peace, and children played gleefully in the large marble city square. Every inhabitant present sported a ring of light above their head, everyone except me. I stood out like a sore thumb. My tattered clothes, tangled hair and plain drabness didn’t fit in with the civilized grace of this city.

When we entered the city, everyone paused to look at us, then rushed forward in warm welcome, crowding in and hugging us, telling us how happy they were to see us- no, crowding around and hugging me. Rimyth and Aradrian were greeted with warm hellos and welcome backs, but weren’t swarmed by a mob of overly excited angel citizens. I stood in puzzlement, accepting their welcome with a confused smile. So apparently my plain, windswept look didn’t falter their cuddly reception.

“Please disperse everyone,” Rimyth said, his tone kind but commanding. “The young lady has been through a lot these past couple of hours, and her body is probably demanding rest.” The angels obediently backed away, shy smiles on their faces. I looked gratefully at Rimyth. They were good people, but I was tired as death and didn’t wish to be crushed to a pulp by their continuous hugging.

Rimyth reclaimed his role of leader and led us away from the watching crowd along the marble streets. People inside the surrounding buildings peeked out from their windows and waved as they saw our little party travelling through the city. Eventually we arrived at a three-story building. The porch was made of a wooden material, but was tougher, smoother and a natural ivory colour. Columns of marble held up the fancy porch roof, designs of animals, flowers and people circling the marble pillars, seeming to tell a story. The door was a large double door, made of wood, like the porch, but was a pale gold and glowed faintly. The doorknobs were gold as well, and had little angel wings sprouting from their far sides. There were many more details, but I couldn’t make much note of them as we headed inside.

The inside of the building was as beautiful as the outside. There was more colour inside the building than outside of it. The floor was carpeted with a soft pastel blue. A spiral staircase wound its way up to the second and third floors. The place seemed like a fancy hotel, but I could tell this was a sort of mansion, for there was no reception area. The foyer we had entered had patterned wallpaper, with a dominating colour of pastel yellow. A brilliantly carved table close to the door presented a glass dish of colourful candies. The paintings and other furniture in the room were also marvellously made, and looked both beautiful and comfortable. Normally, in a house such as this I would have been uncomfortable and out of place, but for some reason I felt secure and at home.

“This is where you will be staying,” Rimyth said. He escorted through the house, leading us directly to the staircase and we climbed up and up and up until we reached the third level. I had caught a glimpse of the second level, noticing it had about four or five bedrooms, nothing else. The third floor had a similar layout, except that the top floor was in the shape of a large dome. There were four rooms on this floor, the doors of which were curved inwards. I wondered if I would get used to such strange, yet beautiful doors. The top portion of the dome was glassed, sectioned into eight by gold window panes.

“And these are your rooms-”, the older angel picked up where he left off. “you may choose one room for yourself.”

“What about the other rooms?” I asked.

“Ah, the whole second floor has been inhabited already by young men and women such as yourselves.”

“I kind of actually meant the other two vacant rooms,” I explained.

Rimyth’s face fell a little. “You are the last to arrive, Crystabelle. This building was specifically built for nine young protégées of Heaven, but we were unable to save the last two from the fires of the underworld. They were taken by demons, like the ones you encountered on your flight here.

“Anyway,” he continued. “there will be plenty of time for explanations, as I mentioned earlier. Pick out a room, and make yourselves comfortable and rested. We will talk more in the morning.” With that he turned and exited the room, disappearing the second he reached the stairs.

“I thought you would have already chosen a room,” I remarked.

“Less talking more room-searching,” Aradrian replied tiredly. He yawned as he left my side and shuffled up to the first room, looking in and inspecting it, then moved on to the next. He did this with all four rooms and settled with the first one. I decided to do the same, observing the remaining rooms. Each had one large bed and various other pieces of divine furniture. I settled on the third one, crawled into the bed and fell into a deep dreamless slumber.

I woke up to a stream of light through the glassless window by my bed. For a moment I forgot where I was, fear fleeting across my face. Then I remembered that I was in the City of God, in my own room. As I evoked the past events, a million or so questions buzzed inside my head, giving me an intense headache and even more intense curiosity. My questions were to be answered today, so I reluctantly climbed out of my soft bed. My ear felt much better and my hearing had returned to normal. I took a swift shower in my en suite bathroom, changing into a white robe hemmed with lavender at the collar I found at the foot of my bed, dumping out my tattered clothing. My long dark hair was a large matted knot, and it took a long time (and pain) to untangle it all. Finding a tray of food on my bedside table that I had not noticed before, I devoured gourmet French toast and fresh orange juice. Feeling refreshed, I exited my room in a relatively good mood, but the mood was slightly rotted with an edge of homesickness.

Aradrian and Rimyth were already in the centre of the circular room talking, but they cut off their conversation as I joined them.

“You had a good night?” Rimyth asked kindly. His distasteful feet were curtained behind a long, regal pale blue robe lined with glittering pastel yellow.

“Yes, thank you,” I answered politely.

Aradrian just nodded to me in acknowledgement. He was dressed in a midnight blue jacket which sported a belt wrapped around his waist twice crossing over each other, and the wrist part was puffed up. His trousers were white, and were puffed up as well at the ankles. He, like other angels, were shoeless.

He noticed me studying his clothing and said, “These are my usual clothes. Most angels prefer simple white robes, but there are some that like to be a bit more complex. Also, the clothes differ us from other angels. You’ll be getting your own soon enough.”

His comments set my questions back up to the surface of my mind. “Do my questions get answered yet?” I asked.

“It would be best to save them for later, until after we’ve done everything else, but if you would prefer it, we can sit down and converse,” Rimyth replied. I nodded exuberantly, wondering what ‘everything else’ was. Immediately, a glass table and three recliners appeared around us, Rimyth somehow already seated in his. He motioned for us to sit as I gawped in wonder at his angelic powers and wondered if I would soon be able to do such things.

We were seated in a circle, sipping tea that was presented on the table. After a long pause of tea-sipping, Rimyth began his explanation, and I eagerly listened, hoping that my questions would bubble away.

“You and Aradrian are among the handful of children that are pure of heart.”

“He’s pure of heart?” I motioned to Aradrian, unbelieving of his so called pure heart.

“Yes I am,” Aradrian snapped. “I thought I already explained to you why I dropped you.”

“No, the demon did, before you blasted into his back.”

“Oh,” he frowned. “What did he tell you?”

I wondered how the shape shifting demon was able to understand Aradrian’s actions. Could it not only steal his form, but his thoughts as well? After a moment of contemplation I answered, “He told me that he-well you- sensed that he-the demon- was on our trail but hiding behind the clouds and you only noticed right before it was too late. So without giving anything away, came up with that conversation and then dropped me so you could face him.”

Aradrian smiled with something that looked like relief. I wondered at his expression. “Oh good, for a minute there I thought that the demon could read my mind.” I looked at him questioningly. “His story was very convincing, and it would be smart of me to go with it, but since I’ve already said this much I suppose it would be proper to finish it. That wasn’t how it happened at all. Really, I just wanted to see what you’d look like falling- your expression was priceless! But then that son of a wench decided to ruin my fun and tackled me mid fli-”

“I’LL KILL YOU!” I screeched, jumping from my seat. In a split second I was on him, my hands wringing his throat wildly, but without the means of killing.

Aradrian was caught by surprise but soon began grinning as his head bobbed back and forth intensely in my grip. “You’re throttling me, and you wonder why I have a pure heart?” he said, his voice distorted by my strangling. “Hypocrite.”

My hold on his throat fell away at his words and I blushed. Ashamed of my rash anger and actions, I quietly returned to my recliner, my eyes averted from both Aradrian and Rimyth. I fumed silently.

Rimyth just laughed good humouredly and said, “My, I’m beginning to have my doubts of either of you being pure hearted. And it also seems as though I’ll never be able to get a word in with all your bickering.” He paused for a moment to see if we would begin arguing again then continued his lecture.

“As I said, you and Aradrian are among the few that are pure of heart. Once they have become of age, the pure hearted are brought here to serve God. You are brought here alive, because only those with beating hearts will be of use to the war that has befallen us.”

War? I thought. I was brought to the most peaceful place imaginable to prepare for war? I expected myself to be fear-stricken, but oddly I felt excitement and anticipation for the war ahead. I was surprised at my mental reaction to the idea of war.

“The demons have increased and been strengthened by the sins of humans. Some have escaped their confinements and have been rampaging throughout Earth, causing havoc to our mortal brethren. And Satan…” he looked at both of us in turn “…has declared war on Heaven.”

“War for what?” I whispered.

“War for the souls of humans.”
♠ ♠ ♠
*sigh* So far no one's reading my story. Lol. So no point in doing this really. But it's fun writing to my imaginary readers. XD It's fun writing though, and that's pretty much all I'm doing: doing something I like, regardless of whether anyone pays attention to it or not. Right now I'm just striving to finish the darn story instead of just leaving it there to rot like I did to a ton of others. I'm not intent on being a writer (I haven't chosen an occupation to go toward) but it could be an option. Toodles!