Beneath The Moon

Life::Risk It All[23]

When I finally got home, I threw all of my stuff in my room and went to check on Holly. Her door was shut and locked. I tapped softly.

“Holly? Are you in there?” No answer. “Look, I’m really really sorry, baby. You have no idea. Just-come out and we can figure out what to do. Okay?” Still no answer. Okay, fine. I’d just have to try it the hard way. I walked out the front door and walked around the house, picking up a few pebbles along the way. I reached Holly’s window and tried to peer in. She had closed her blinds.

Even though the whole house was a grand total of one story high, I started chucking the pebbles at her window. She immediately opened her blinds. While she was trying to crack the window open, I thought fast.

“Oh Ho-olly, you are the one for me-ee, can’t you se-ee…” I sang, making up some random tune paired with equally random lyrics.

“What the hell do you wan-” she stopped as soon as she heard me singing, and smiled slightly. “You can’t carry a tune worth jack-shit,” she pointed out. I nodded in agreement.
“Can I sneak in?” I whispered.

“Oh, I don’t know, my mom might hear…” she joked. I ran back to the front and through the door, coming to a stop at her door.

I heard a click and Holly opened the door. She greeted me with, not the smile I had hoped for, but a blank stare. Maybe some disappointment in her eyes.

“Well?” she said, raising her eyebrows. What did she expect me to say? I had already said sorry. Girls are so confusing.

“I’m sorry?” I inquired. I stepped inside of her room and sat down on her bed.
“No, Elliott. Sorry never does anything.” She sat down with me.

“Well what do you want me to do? I can’t get us back into the school, if that’s what you want me to do.”

“Just-I don’t know. Help me explain this to Margret. Help me sign up for online classes-I’d have to do it at Vegas Valley…damn. That might be really hard. Ugh. I’m sorry for getting mad and hitting you. I guess I’m just mad at myself more than you. Okay?”

“You made me walk home.”
“What?”

“You made me walk home, and you didn’t say sorry about that. Are you sorry?” I exaggerated, pouting my lower lip. Holly laughed.

“No. You needed the exercise,” she said, poking my belly playfully. She leaned in and bit the lower lip I was still pouting. Yum. We both laid back and looked at each other. Man, this girl could be cute. How the hell did I end up with her, again?

“Elliott?” Holly whispered. For the first time since I met her, I realized how raspy her voice was. I guess smoking doesn’t exactly do wonders for you.

“Yes?” I replied.
“I, um…I lo-I love you.” I smiled so wide my smile stretched across the entire state of Nevada.

“I love you too, Holly.”