Status: Finished

Behind The Crue

The Story of Vince Neil

The American vocalist and musician Vincent Neil Wharton was born on February 8, 1961 he's best known for being the lead singer of heavy metal band Motley Crue. Neil was born in Hollywood, California to Odie and Shirley Wharton. During the 1960s, his family moved around Southern California from Inglewood to Watts, before finally settling in Glendora attending Sunflower Intermediate School and later Royal Oak High School. Neil eventually got in trouble at school for fighting and drug use, and was subsequently expelled. As well as having an interest in music while a teenager, Neil was also interested in surfing, basketball, baseball, football, and wrestling.

First stint with Motley Crue

Neil was discovered while performing with his band, Rock Candy in 1980, and joined Motley Crue in 1981. Neil had been friends with Tommy Lee in high school (at one point, Neil lived in Lee's van, then Lee's parents invited him in, and Neil slept beside Lee's bed). Motley Crue was looking for a lead vocalist at the time and were impressed by Neil, after hearing him through Lee. Motley Crue released it's first album, Too Fast for Love the same year. In 1983, Motley Crue released Shout at the Devil, a blockbuster success that has established the band as a big act at the time in rock and roll. The band members have also had their share of scrapes with the law and life. In 1984, Neil was driving home from a liquor store when he was in a head-on collision; his passenger, Hanoi Rocks drummer Nicholas "Razzle" Dingley, was killed. Neil, charged with a DUI and vehicular manslaughter, was sentenced to 30 days in jail but he only served 18 days. The band would later release two box sets entitled "Music to Crash Your Car to". In 1985, Neil regrouped with Motley Crue to record Theatre of Pain. The band subsequently recorded the hugely successful Girls, Girls, Girls (1987). The band then released their hightest-selling album, Dr. Feelgood, in 1989 after going through drug rehabilitation. The band's stint in rehab was due to bassist Nikki Sixx's overdose on heroin in December 1987. Sixx was revived by two adrenaline shots to the heart, which inspired the hit song "Kickstart My Heart," but the band's management nevertheless cancelled an upcoming European tour and insisted that all members of the group go to drug rehabilitation with the admonition: "If you guys go to Europe, at least one of you will be coming back in a bodybag."

Personal life and troubled times

Neil married his first wife, Beth Lynn, in 1981; they divorced in 1985. In April 1987, Neil married Sharise Ruddell, a mudwrestler and fashion model. Ruddell and Neil divorced in 1993. On August 15, 1995, Neil and Ruddell's daughter, Skylar Neil, died of cancer. He founded the Skylar Neil Memorial Fund in her honor. Since that time, Neil and the foundation have raised awareness and funding for various children's illnesses. The Skylar Neil Memorial Foundation has donated millions of dollars to The T.J. Martell Foundation, and it sponsors an annual golf tournament to raise money for children with cancer, In early 1993, he began dating actress and Playboy Playmate, Heidi Mark after being hooked up on a blind date by her makeup artist. The two were engaged within 2 months and after 2 near marriages. They finally walked down the aisle at Beverly Hills restaurant Le O'rangerie surrounded by 40 of their closest friends in 2000. After a brief separation in August 2001, and several attempts at reconciliation, they divorced in 2003; both are remarried. Neil married his fourth wife, Lia Gerardini, in January 2005. The ceremony was officiated by ordained minister and fellow cast member on The Surreal Life, MC Hammer. Neil and Gerardini reside in Las Vegas. Neil also has a home in Blackhawk, California where he lives for part of the year.

Death of Skylar

In 1993 Neil divorced Sharise Ruddell. In the Summer of 1995, their daughter, Skylar Neil, died of Wilms' Tumor, a childhood cancer of the kidneys. Skylar had no symptoms until she was taken to the emergency room with stomach pains initially believed to be appendicitis. The undiagnosed tumor had ruptured and spread through her abdomen, and despite chemotherepy and several surgeries, Skylar died on August 15, 1995. Vince Neil created the Skylar Neil foundation. The Foundation's mission is to honor Skylar by raising money and awareness through unique charitable events and activities it sponsors, and, grant and award the money raised to medical, research, and educational institutions/groups/individuals who are doing breakthrough work to find cures for cancer, AIDS, and other diseases. Neil hosts an annual golf tournament to raise money.