Scream

Leaving

I'm hoping I'm wrong but I know I'm right
I'll hunt again one night...


The clock read 3:17am. I was lying on the bed, stretched out and still panting. I was completely exhausted in so many ways. This was definitely number one out of all of the nights... Jimmy was sprawled out next to me, hardly awake. I had really tired him out. I lay there, not saying anything, just listening to his breathing. It slowly turned from heavy pants into the constant rhythm people had when they slept, and I knew he had finally dipped into sleep. I had listened to so many men fall asleep after our fast paced activities, so I knew when it was safe to start to pack my stuff up to leave. I got off the bed without disturbing him and started picking all of my clothes up off the floor. They were literally scattered everywhere. Once I had retrieved everything, I headed to the bathroom for a quick shower, just to make me look fresh for the walk home, just in case there was another potential man for tomorrow night. It wouldn’t be the first time that’s happened... I dumped my clothes on the floor and shut the door behind me, hoping to not wake Jimmy up.

5 minutes later, I was completely dressed and ready to leave. After one last look in the mirror and another fluff of my hair, I was ready to go. As I always did, I headed swiftly for the door, not looking back at the man I was leaving behind. But as I went to open the door, I paused. Something made me stop. I glanced over at the bed and saw Jimmy was awake and watching me. I opened my mouth to say something, but then shut it, realising I didn’t need to explain myself to the stranger. All I had to do was leave. Just walk out the door, like I always did. There was no reason to stay; only reasons to leave and go back home to my bed. His eyes seemed to be pleading me to not leave, but I don’t know why. I was just a nobody to him, a complete stranger that had given him a release for one night, and one night only. I didn’t mean anything to him and he didn’t mean anything to me. We were just strangers. Jimmy looked away, his body language screaming out to me. I read him without realising it, straight away knowing that he felt sad and disappointed.

My hand dropped away from the door handle. This guy was different. I should have seen it from the moment we met eyes in the bar. I should never have chosen him, no matter how amazing my treat was this night. There was something not right about him... As if he knew too much... I walked back over to the bed and found his jeans that were on the floor next to his side of the bed. I searched the back pockets and found his phone. I opened it and put my name in and filled out the rest of the details. I pressed the save button and chucked it to Jimmy. I headed back to the door, trying to get away from him.

“If you leave now, you’ll die,” he suddenly said in a haunting voice and I froze. What the hell was that meant to mean? Instead of feeling intrigued and wanting to know more about what he meant, I was instead repulsed. Scared by his creepy words, I got out of the room as fast as I could and ran down the hallway and out of the motel, eager to get away from the dangerous man. Not only was what he just said pretty insane, but he made me feel like I never needed to hunt for men again, as if it was wrong to do so, and that was a scary thought. That would be like saying I didn’t need oxygen anymore, that oxygen was bad for me. I continued down the street, hugging myself in a lame attempt to retain my heat as my thoughts tortured me. That man was so different from the others... He had been playing games with me without me even knowing it. I had to stay away from him. I had attempted to keep him satisfied by filling in false details into his phone so I could leave. There was no way that we could ever stay in contact. He would change me. I didn’t want to change. I knew I needed to hunt again. Hell, I’ll probably do it again tomorrow night. I was addicted, and no one could make me stop taking my medication every night. No one would. Especially not a stranger called Jimmy who claimed to know my future.

“Hey sexy! Come here!” a male voice called out from the alley. I glanced down it to see who it was, but just ignored the creep. I kept strutting down the sidewalk, wanting to get home. I was only a few blocks away now. “Oi! Don’t ignore me!” The man suddenly appeared at my side and I screamed, in fright for once, not pleasure. He threw me up against the hard brick wall of the building because I had made a noise. It knocked the breath out of me and I spluttered as I felt a cold metal edge against my throat. The sharp blade pierced my skin and ripped a gash in my throat. The man let go of me and took off running. I dropped to the ground and held my neck, coughing and trying to call for help, although words were impossible right now. My head was spinning and I knew I was going to pass out soon, and most likely die. The last thing I thought was that I wished I had stayed with Jimmy...
♠ ♠ ♠
What did you guys think of this short story?